AWE Tuning

Old 10-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #71
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
I dont know man , Acura TSX 4 cyl, Audi A4 4 cyl, VW CC 4 cyl,Saab 9-3 4cyl from what I here C-class gonna offer a new kompressor 4 cyl and 3 series getting a TT4 cyl model called GT. Four cyl are not the same as they used to be plus with the proper gearing, engine mounts, sound deadening material etc etc all that is alleviated. MPG goes up weight goes down win win
Its not about the engine output, you can get an I4 to rival some V8s in power and torque if you really want. But you can't recreate the smoothness. You can make it better, but its not the same. I don't want to get into explaining 1st and 2nd order balancing but a V6 has 2 advantages over an I4 that can never be duplicated no mater how high tech you make the engine.

Smoothness of Power: A V6 always has 2 cylinders firing (one near the beginning of its power stroke and one near the end). This is impossible to achieve with a four cylinder engine. The result is a much more uniform power delivery, which is a desirably quality in a luxury car. The more cylinders you have, the smoother the power.

Reduced Vibration: While a V6 isn't close to ideal, it is better than I4's. Even with damped mounts and such, vibration will be transmitted through the chassis. Vibration characteristics vary with engine configuration and displacement, but a small V6 has less vibration than an I4 of similar size or power. It is possible to practically eliminate the dynamic imbalance with a V8.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #72
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its not about the engine output, you can get an I4 to rival some V8s in power and torque if you really want. But you can't recreate the smoothness. You can make it better, but its not the same. I don't want to get into explaining 1st and 2nd order balancing but a V6 has 2 advantages over an I4 that can never be duplicated no mater how high tech you make the engine.

Smoothness of Power: A V6 always has 2 cylinders firing (one near the beginning of its power stroke and one near the end). This is impossible to achieve with a four cylinder engine. The result is a much more uniform power delivery, which is a desirably quality in a luxury car. The more cylinders you have, the smoother the power.

Reduced Vibration: While a V6 isn't close to ideal, it is better than I4's. Even with damped mounts and such, vibration will be transmitted through the chassis. Vibration characteristics vary with engine configuration and displacement, but a small V6 has less vibration than an I4 of similar size or power. It is possible to practically eliminate the dynamic imbalance with a V8.
I am not disputing that the smoothness is there, what I was saying is that if the market has it and calls for it I believe buick should rock it!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #73
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Noise, vibrations, and harshness probably. For a luxury car its better to have a V6 than an I4, and V8 over a V6.
60 Degree V6. The now dead 3.8L still required a balance shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Some new info coming in...

There's a sport model in the works. Possibly named GS. 280 HP, 3.6L SIDI V6, 19" wheels, Brembo brakes, optional AWD, possible 6-speed manual...
Flashy thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
I dont know man , Acura TSX 4 cyl, Audi A4 4 cyl, VW CC 4 cyl,Saab 9-3 4cyl from what I here C-class gonna offer a new kompressor 4 cyl and 3 series getting a TT4 cyl model called GT. Four cyl are not the same as they used to be plus with the proper gearing, engine mounts, sound deadening material etc etc all that is alleviated. MPG goes up weight goes down win win
There are things you can do with a 4 cylinder, but it still requires balance shafts and other tricks to deal with an engine that is not balanced.

Quote:

A 60 degree V6 has Primary Balance, an inline 4 does not, thus the balance shafts required. That was one of the problems with the inline 5 cyclinder in the Hummer H3 and Colorado Canyon. It still needed balance shafts so it cost as much as the V6 if not more. It has less to do with the firing order and more to do with the angle between the banks. Just compare the difference in smoothness between a 90 Degree V Twin Ducati and a 45 Degree V Twin Harley. Night and day.

Gosh you guys are almost going to make me pull out my engine design text books from college....................almost.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #74
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Flashy thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tee hee.

That little tidbit made it through.

And let Bob know that if he wants someone to test said Regal GS or the new Riviera, just give me a call.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #75
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
It seems the there may be a Regal GS version with the 3.6L V-6 and AWD coming as well.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #76
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Some new info coming in...

There's a sport model in the works. Possibly named GS. 280 HP, 3.6L SIDI V6, 19" wheels, Brembo brakes, optional AWD, possible 6-speed manual...
I'll take that... twice. Any plans for a regal coupe?
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #77
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
I'll take that... twice. Any plans for a regal coupe?
Not that I know of, although the Riviera might take care of that.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #78
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
i didn't see anyone post this but GM posted this pic on its Facebook

Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #79
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Very classy!! That's a Lexus-fighter if I ever saw one. Headbang: Totally the new Buick.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #80
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Very classy!! That's a Lexus-fighter if I ever saw one. Headbang: Totally the new Buick.
I agree, but only because I consider the LaCrosse to be a Lexus ass-kicker
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #81
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I agree, but only because I consider the LaCrosse to be a Lexus ass-kicker
Well, these two (and the Enclave) represent the new Buick...they're all Lexus ass-kickers.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #82
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Well, these two (and the Enclave) represent the new Buick...they're all Lexus ass-kickers.
Two more on the way...