Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #99
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
This Thursday we experienced the German police enforcement - set up check points and inspect every car. Quite a traffic back up as it was at 5 PM.

No issues for me, but 'club member' was threatened due to mods to their car - Americans appear to have more latitude. On the other hand another acquaintance was transporting a mom and her un-restrained child - quite a faux pas. Police ordered the mom and child had to get out and walk to the train/taxi! The driver was lucky to not get significant fine...they are pretty serious here.

Nonetheless, two highlights:

Fresh rear axle fluid swapped in with OEM fluid in the E-diff equipped pumpkin:

And even better - Goodwood Festival of Speed tickets arrived!

We went lower buck this year - Friday attendance. But we did splurge on "Performance Car Parking" (a Camaro is an exotic here!) and we will be going via the English Channel Tunnel (train) to reach the UK. Believe my young navigator will enjoy the experience...85 mph beneath the rough channel waters...

Unless participating in the activity, Goodwood is the best motorsport enthusiasts event I've ever been to. Bumping into Richard Petty/Parnelli Jones and watch them drive their restored cars along with every other unique sports automobile is a tremendous treat.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #100
Tim M

Today was not only a disappointment, but a bit frightening! Hockenheim Tourist Laps...aka, disorganized parade laps.

Bought 3 'passes' for 15 mins each...only used the first one...no thanks. Highest risk I've felt on a race track.

All skills levels, all speeds, no organized passing, drifters, dive bombs, and nearly 100 cars on track...it was ridiculous!

The track looked fun, but wasn't going to learn it today...again the car ran phenomenal.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #101
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Today was not only a disappointment, but a bit frightening! Hockenheim Tourist Laps...aka, disorganized parade laps.

Bought 3 'passes' for 15 mins each...only used the first one...no thanks. Highest risk I've felt on a race track.

All skills levels, all speeds, no organized passing, drifters, dive bombs, and nearly 100 cars on track...it was ridiculous!

The track looked fun, but wasn't going to learn it today...again the car ran phenomenal.

Reminds me of the DC beltway at rush hour if traffic moves.
Automotive chaos.

Lucky you suffered no damage and got to run a few laps on that track.

Last edited by Boost Creep; 06-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #102
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:

I've seen my fair share of bad traffic on track but this looked ridiculous, I definitely don't blame you for getting out of there after the first session haha

Considering that I will only be about an hour from Hockenheim when I get over there I will be trying to find as many proper Track Days as possible! Hopefully they will be better organized than this haha

I was also just thinking the other day that I might need to put my exhaust back to stock before I head over to avoid possibly breaking sound limit at some of the tracks :( The Ring is 130db limit but I've seen a lot of the European tracks have limits around 100db which I would probably be over at WOT right now haha

A friend of mine that just got over there said they are pretty strict on window tint as well, should I be concerned about that too? Currently have Maryland legal 35% on mine.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #103
Tim M

A track day is much preferred...Hockenheim's rules expressly stated max of 40 cars on track...I'd argue if I was in the states and get a refund, but no chance in Germany.

Stuttgart inspections appear to be more stringent, but I would still prepare your car for success - OEM exhaust, fresh tires, brake pads, brake fluid, etc. No non-factory window tent on windscreen or front two windows. You have initial 30 days to get it passed inspection. You can get another 30 days if needed. After that it becomes a waiver situation. The car inspection deal can be a real challenge.

You can try the ZL1 Add On's front license plate holder...mine failed, while Spang AB passed.

I believe Hockenheim was 90 db's during the evening hours. Note, housing is on top of each other. Being a good neighbor (and not have a local in your business) has benefits. I put the car in 'Stealth' each time I pull into the village and I consider it still too loud during the initial crank. Our place is a bit unique as I've got to back the car about half a block down a single track (passing 6 residences!) to put it in the garage. Your experience may be different. ;-)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #104
Tim M

Finally refreshed the OEM brake fluid in the front calipers (only 1 bottle of Motul 600 showed up...). My 13 year old assistant did quick work of the press/hold and hit the bleeder screw.

I felt no difference, but didn't have any issue prior either. Love those 6 piston calipers - finally Chevy getting serious!

Father's Day brought a trip to the Ring! Executed 4 straight laps and then a break while the track was closed for an armco repair/coolant mess. Then two more in succession...final corner of the 6th lap - low fuel level showing less than 1/16 of a tank - perfect timing! My Subaru would experience fuel starvation just after half a tank - nice Chevy! Computer showed 5.5 mpg for the tank...

New best of 8:03 Bridge to Gantry. Still considerable time left for me - very sloppy lap as well. Nice 50 degree temps allowed me to keep the windows up and acceptable engine music recorded. 7:15 into the video is my most enjoyable part...nothing like WOT into a corner with the ground dropping away and the car getting airborne while 'transitioning' a couple of feet to the right! Doing 4 laps back to back certainly helped with retention...still get lost on course!

I did run into a ZL1 1LE...white in color with untouched dive planes and wing. He was German which I was surprised - didn't think that car was legal in EU due to the pedestrian killing aerodynamics. He mentioned American 'imports' are different. That makes 2 that I've seen with German registration - would be a fun car to have...although the 6 hour round trip on the street might not be pleasant. Nearly the entire way was rain - quite dicey with slightly worn 285's on the front of mine...305's would be even more interesting.

Last edited by Tim M; 06-17-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #105
Red Hot ZL1

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1 Vert. M6.
Sounds great 5,000 RPM and up and the tire were squealing!
Red Hot ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #106
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Finally refreshed the OEM brake fluid in the front calipers (only 1 bottle of Motul 600 showed up...). My 13 year old assistant did quick work of the press/hold and hit the bleeder screw.

I felt no difference, but didn't have any issue prior either. Love those 6 piston calipers - finally Chevy getting serious!

Father's Day brought a trip to the Ring! Executed 4 straight laps and then a break while the track was closed for an armco repair/coolant mess. Then two more in succession...final corner of the 6th lap - low fuel level showing less than 1/16 of a tank - perfect timing! My Subaru would experience fuel starvation just after half a tank - nice Chevy! Computer showed 5.5 mpg for the tank...

New best of 8:03 Bridge to Gantry. Still considerable time left for me - very sloppy lap as well. Nice 50 degree temps allowed me to keep the windows up and acceptable engine music recorded. 7:15 into the video is my most enjoyable part...nothing like WOT into a corner with the ground dropping away and the car getting airborne while 'transitioning' a couple of feet to the right! Doing 4 laps back to back certainly helped with retention...still get lost on course!

I did run into a ZL1 1LE...white in color with untouched dive planes and wing. He was German which I was surprised - didn't think that car was legal in EU due to the pedestrian killing aerodynamics. He mentioned American 'imports' are different. That makes 2 that I've seen with German registration - would be a fun car to have...although the 6 hour round trip on the street might not be pleasant. Nearly the entire way was rain - quite dicey with slightly worn 285's on the front of mine...305's would be even more interesting.
Awesome, thanks for posting the PDR video.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #107
Tim M

I agree the exhaust note is music - glad the temps cooperated.

I'm challenged to figure out a good GoPro setup. I've had best luck with a suction mount.
I used to put it in the rear side window of the Subaru - nice driver/windshield shot. This car doesn't allow with the passenger seat limitation on recline especially with the 'porthole' window.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #108
Tim M

Been nearly 10,000 miles on the trans oil - easy peasy swap with OEM fluid:

Few more images from Nurburg visit:

Track info - green border is always preferred (Open)...note multiple temps for sometimes significant deltas along the 13 miles:

I didn't get a shot, but another sign will state how many cars are on track...0900 it was around 180 cars! And I wouldn't consider that busy...

And the ZL1 1LE I spotted:

Old 06-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #109
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Awesome shots and video.

For the GoPro mount - I've been pretty happy with the Tackform headrest mount. It's not as stable as a window mount, but mounting to the driver seat and a newer GoPro with image stabilization takes care of most of the shake.

I'll be headed to Germany in August, and most likely renting a little Swift from those Rent 4 Ring guys in the first pic up there. Can't wait! Nurburgring is a bucket list item for me.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #110
Tim M

Laststandard: Excellent! A visit to Germany is worth the trip - hopefully you can include a visit to the Porsche/Mercedes Museums too. I think I've mentioned it before, but I've rented from Rent4Ring 4-5 times in the last 8 years. Always helpful and a great way to experience the track.

Drop me a PM if you'd like more details on the rental and when you might be in town...maybe a ride in a Camaro could be arranged.

Today I reinstalled the CAGS eliminator...despise the 1 to 4 shift.

Not much going on as we are preparing for a trip to UK for Goodwood Festival of Speed on Thursday.

Goodwood
Old 07-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #111
Tim M

Arrived uneventfully from a 1400 mile trip to southern UK to attend first day of Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Certainly the most impressive spectator motorsport event I've witnessed. I was there 12 years ago and since then it has grown (along with the crowds!).

The SS was a joy to drive - ~23 mpg. That included an hour of idle traffic on the M25 around London - disappointing traffic congestion.

We made our way thru The Netherlands, Belgium, and France where we hitched a ride on the Eurotunnel (Chunnel) for a train ride nearly 400 feet below sea level at 80 mph...crossed the gap in 35 minutes while standing around eating Burger King out of the trunk. Modern technology is impressive.

270 runs up the hill by various cars/motorcycles of every type. Ken Block was present as was Richard Petty and many others I'm not familiar with. Red Bull Lambo Drift car, jet powered motorcycle (Jay Leno?), NASCAR, Paris to Dakar support trucks (drifting!), Peter Solberg's Subaru rally car, flame throwing 1920's race cars, modern V6 turbo F1 (muted sound) to the late 2000's V10 F1 machines (crowd favorite with the 20,000 rpm V10 shrek!).

A rally course is setup along with demo rides in seemingly everything. We couldn't see everything in a day...just an overload to the senses...

The Netherlands:

Belgium we missed...

Entering the train...bottom deck outbound and upper deck on return:

Electric locomotive for propulsion:

All loaded up with BK burgers!:

Arrived to a Performance Car parking...we were likely the least expensive - and proud of it!:

An easy $20 million on the grass:

2019 Nurburgring 12 hours winner - R8 as raced...from two weeks ago:

Only other Camaro we spied:

I like Subarus!:

One of my favorite cars - Ultima. I visited the factory a few years ago and got a ride in a demonstrator...very impressive and with your own hands:

Heading home with a $85 99 octane fill up at Folkestone:

Preparing to load the train...among a dozen Ferrari's, Mclarens, and Porsche autos:

Loaded up once again:

Camaro is a wide car...only about 5 inches total on the chunnel cars:

My navigator was weary and I couldn't convince him to pull 20 minutes off course (yes we drove right by!) for a few laps of the Nurburgring! Bummer...nonetheless - I'm scheduled to return next Sunday for a few laps with family - should be a hoot!

Last edited by Tim M; 07-07-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #112
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Awesome stuff Tim! Goodwood is definitely on my to-do list for next year!!! May have to try to combine it with at trip to one of the UK tracks for a track day! Keep the posts coming, I'm only 5 months out from arrival now and plan to ship my car early so it will be waiting on me when I get there!