Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #15
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
So I guess we now have the usual variety of responses from guys tracking hard who flushed like I did and had no issues and now folks saying you need to drop the trans to flush it properly.

While I don't disagree that actually flushing through the clutch system to a bleeder is the best result, I didn't find a single thread or search result that suggested folks were dropping the transmission to actually do this during a brake flush. No one has mentioned a bad result with SRF flushed the way I did it, either, that I can find?

Or am I just trying to justify to myself wasting $100 worth of brake fluid on a bad flush job haha...
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:22 AM   #16
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
So I guess we now have the usual variety of responses from guys tracking hard who flushed like I did and had no issues and now folks saying you need to drop the trans to flush it properly.

While I don't disagree that actually flushing through the clutch system to a bleeder is the best result, I didn't find a single thread or search result that suggested folks were dropping the transmission to actually do this during a brake flush. No one has mentioned a bad result with SRF flushed the way I did it, either, that I can find?

Or am I just trying to justify to myself wasting $100 worth of brake fluid on a bad flush job haha...

Exactly... I don’t know any of our track rats that have done the “full flush” and we aren’t exactly gentle with our cars
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #17
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
I'm not stirring the pot, it is not my intention.

"Castrol SRF brake fluid has a wet boiling point of 518 degrees F, which exceeds DOT 3 and 4 standards. It is important not to mix Castrol SRF and other brake fluids, as this will reduce the benefits of Castrol SRF."

This being stated...how much does mixing alter SRF's benefits? Probably not much, but even 1 degree less is technically altering.

Also, all of the "track rats" on here primarily do Track Days or other similar HPDE type events. They are running 20 min sessions at most, and have plenty off cool down time before the next session, so it is arguable that something like SRF is even necessary in those circumstances. It might be more beneficial during a WRL or AER event where you do long stints, but I don't know of any of us participating in those events yet.

That being said, my answer is still the correct one for the question posed in this thread. "How to fully flush brakes with SRF with regard to the clutch?"

Will using SRF w/o a proper clutch bleed be ok? I would think it would be absolutely fine compared to stock DOT3. Even if it mixes a little.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #18
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
Quote:
Originally Posted by full*throttle*therapy View Post
They are running 20 min sessions at most, and have plenty off cool down time before the next session, so it is arguable that something like SRF is even necessary in those circumstances.
This statement here makes me wonder if you have ever been on track.

These heavy cars will experience brake issues related to boiling fluid within a few Laps or less if driven hard.

Castrol SRF has been proven, time and again to mitigate the boiling fluid and clutch issues in these heavy cars(Camaros and corvettes). Everyone is shocked at the initial cost, but when you factor in only needing a flush once a year versus every weekend with other fluids, I’d argue srf is cheaper in the long run. I’ve personally boiled motion 600/660, so while it’s better and gone for most lighter cars, the camaro and the vette just generate significantly more heat.

Are there other good fluids, probably. I hear good things about endless and similar, but I don’t need to reinvent the wheel with what is already known.
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #19
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
Quote:
This statement here makes me wonder if you have ever been on track.

These heavy cars will experience brake issues related to boiling fluid within a few Laps or less if driven hard.

sigh, nice cherry pick. Allow me to be more clear with that statement. I meant SRF vs any other high quality DOT 4 fluid.

..and yes I have some track time, not much though 8 or 9 events over 4 different tracks, all with the ZLE.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #20
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
You'll be fine.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 PM   #21
RS3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
What Motive adapter fits our gen Camaro? The kit linked to in the above post is 0118. Motive website says that newer Camaro's use 1100 or 1109 adapter. Just confirming that 0118 fits. Thanks!
2016 Tesla S White
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #22
cornerjunkie

Drives: Nightfall Gray 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3 View Post
What Motive adapter fits our gen Camaro? The kit linked to in the above post is 0118. Motive website says that newer Camaro's use 1100 or 1109 adapter. Just confirming that 0118 fits. Thanks!
I used Motive 1108 and worked great!
cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #23
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie View Post
I used Motive 1108 and worked great!
Same. Use the thicker gasket.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #24