Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
ToxicJon

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Chevy Perf CAI Dyno Results

Hey Guys new to the forum. Just bought a brand new 2019 Camaro 1SS A10. Only Options I have are NPP mufflers. My Goal was to see how fast you can make a 2019 Camaro ss run from the factory with warranty approved parts ie Chevy Performance CAI and such. Well with having a Chassis Dyno at my disposal I wanted to see what each change made a difference in power. I had been talking to Matt @ Wildhammer motorsports about the intake and what all I needed to give to the dealership for a fast and easy transaction when it came to them about flashing the updated tune for the chevy performance cai.

So I took my 400mi Stock 2019 Camaro ss and strapped it to my dyno to see what it put down stock. I did the pull in 6th gear instead of 7th its a little bit easier on the car lol for all the pulls. I have a Land&Sea Inertia Dyno and it reads a little on the happy side to read close to a dynojet but, no matter what the setting are the hp/tq gains/losses will be the same amount. It put down 425/407 tq.

I then took off the stock air intake and throttle body. I installed the supplied throttle body spacer that has a kind of duck tail on the bottom of the entry into the intake manifold. Im guessing its for tip in response and better distribution to the front two itake runners. I went on to install the whole cai intake setup and made sure to align all the dots and everything for the mass air flow sensor to read correctly. The whole install only took me about 1hr with me taking my time and using simple hand tools. Once done I took the car to my local dealer and they flashed the proper calibration for the intake. Was no problem when they had all the information they needed.

I got the car back to my shop and let it have a cooldown and strapped it back down onto the dyno and to see what the results were with the blue street filter. The results were pretty GREAT and right with what I was expecting. It made right at 16hp/16tq Peak to Peak and as much as 20hp/Tq in the meat of the curve. Now I attribute some of the gain from the leaner mixture with it being leaner up to about .3 to .6 AFR leaner until 5100 and it comes within .1-.2 AFR in the upper rpms where it made the 16hp difference.

I then Let the Car cooldown and swapped out the blue street filter to the Grey Race filter. After the car cooled down and I did a pull. It made the same peak numbers but, lost power in the lower rpms until about 4500 rpm where it matched the hp/tq. Now this is where things get a little interesting the Race filter leaned the mixture out a good bit in the lower rpm and im guessing thats where the hp/tq loss would be and im just using a tailpipe sniffer so the afr are probably slightly leaner in the lower rpms than what its actually reading but, this is also on a non load bearing dyno and with probably richen up some on the street/track and probably match in the lower rpm's and possibly make a 2-3 more hp in the upper rpms. The car is obviously seeing more airflow from the leaner afr so its safe to say that it will possibly make slightly more power.

Here in the next week or two I will be taking the car to the 1/4 mile to see what it will run in this summer heat and post all my results on the forum for everybody. If anyone has any questions or want me to show the data a different way feel free to ask.

The Dyno Graphs in order are

Bone stock vs chevy perf street filter
Street Filter vs Race filter
All three on the same graph

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Images

Last edited by ToxicJon; 06-10-2019 at 04:53 PM.
ToxicJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Nice
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
ToxicJon

Here’s a pic of the car on the dyno.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Wirthit

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Nice! How much did the dealer charge for a reflash?
Wirthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
How is the throttle response off-idle.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
ToxicJon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirthit View Post
Nice! How much did the dealer charge for a reflash?
The reflash is included in the price of the kit. The Chevrolet Performance CAI kit comes with paperwork and in that paper work is a code for the dealership to reflash the computer at no cost to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
How is the throttle response off-idle.
Seems snappier now.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car!

Thanks for the really informative post! The GM CAI is very controversial around here. Lol
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
Max Droptop

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS Convertible
Thanks for the update. I have the Chevrolet Performance CAI on my 2019, installed it myself. Going for my re-flash this Friday, June 14. Nice to see it adds a little, it definitely looks much better.
2016 SS 376CI/AT
Max Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Great looking Camaro!
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
From a 2019 A10 ss owner, with 3k miles on the car and completely stock, thanks for doing this. How do these numbers compare to rotofab dry? I work for chevy and can get a better price on the gm cai. ... lol

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:19 AM   #11
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Nice post. Seems unbiased. I have the GM CAI on mine. Looks good. Other mods made so unable to confirm... Happy Motoring!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicJon View Post
I then took off the stock air intake and throttle body. I installed the supplied throttle body spacer that has a kind of duck tail on the bottom of the entry into the intake manifold. Im guessing its for tip in response and better distribution to the front two itake runners.
The "V" in the spacer is to eliminate a "whistle" with the CAI. Here is one of many threads that discuss the "whistle":

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455199

Nice to hear good dyno results with the GM CAI. Thanks for running the test and posting the results! I have the GM CAI and didn't see any improvement in 1/4 mile time with the drag filter vs. the blue street filter. It is interesting to see your dyno results on that too.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Do the newer CAI have vanes to direct the air through the maf? The older ones did not and I dont think they were very consistent.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
ToxicJon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car!

Thanks for the really informative post! The GM CAI is very controversial around here. Lol
I see haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Droptop View Post
Thanks for the update. I have the Chevrolet Performance CAI on my 2019, installed it myself. Going for my re-flash this Friday, June 14. Nice to see it adds a little, it definitely looks much better.
No problem man. The flash seemed too slightly quicken the wot shifts to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Great looking Camaro!
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
From a 2019 A10 ss owner, with 3k miles on the car and completely stock, thanks for doing this. How do these numbers compare to rotofab dry? I work for chevy and can get a better price on the gm cai. ... lol
I’m not sure exactly but, would think they would probably be close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
Nice post. Seems unbiased. I have the GM CAI on mine. Looks good. Other mods made so unable to confirm... Happy Motoring!
Yea it looks great and keeps warranty haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
The "V" in the spacer is to eliminate a "whistle" with the CAI. Here is one of many threads that discuss the "whistle":

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455199

Nice to hear good dyno results with the GM CAI. Thanks for running the test and posting the results! I have the GM CAI and didn't see any improvement in 1/4 mile time with the drag filter vs. the blue street filter. It is interesting to see your dyno results on that too.
I gotcha that makes sense on the spacer. I definitely thinks it’s a nice upgrade for the car. I’m currently headed to the 1/4 mile to get some data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Do the newer CAI have vanes to direct the air through the maf? The older ones did not and I dont think they were very consistent.
I didn’t really see any veins but, there are dots you have to line up to make sure the maf is positioned correctly