Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
unleaded28

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
With the new camera rearview mirror in the 2019 there are no blindspots behind the car anymore. Makes switching lanes on the freeway 10x easier than it was before, at least for me.
unleaded28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
I dont understand why they cant make the screen display the rear view at all times and not just when you are backing up.

It would be soo helpful.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
I dont understand why they cant make the screen display the rear view at all times and not just when you are backing up.

It would be soo helpful.
My wifes Honda has a camera built into the side of the right mirror. Whenever the right directional is used, the display shows the entire right side with markers representing car length distances so you can judge how much room you have. Very nice feature

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
I'm not saying that the Camaro doesn't have limited visibility. I'm just saying it requires a bit more attention from the driver. Coming from the motorcycle world, being sure someone is not in your blind spot can be a life or death situation. I find myself appreciating the blind spot warning on the Camaro side mirrors. But I still don't make a move until I do a head turn and visual check.
Drive safe guys.
Exactly this I learned real quick from riding motorcycles that it's not only important to check your blind spots really well.. but to try your best to stay out of other peoples blind spots. Even then sometimes that isn't enough.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #19
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
The rear and side views are not a problem. Its the A-Pillar and side mirrors that block the front corners. But to be honest the Camaro is not the only car with this issue. The corvette has thick A-pillars but you sit further back away from them and its a non issue. We sit closer to them so its easy for something to be hidden behind them. That goes with wind tunnel designing when EPA and MPG mandates govern the final products specs. We got good MPG, performance and ride, but this is the price for it.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I accepted all visibility limitations as a minor tradeoff for the body style and the insanely good exterior look of the car.

Blind spots are practically eliminated with the proper mirror setup, the blind zone monitor and looking sideways every time, as taught in driver ed. In fact, all other cars I have driven had their own idiosyncrasies. Looking through the rear window of my wife's family SUV, for example, feels like staring down a tunnel, its A pillar and ginormous power folding mirrors also block out a chunk of the view...

While the Camaro does require extra attention during parking and tight right turns, I'm happy to comply, it's no biggie when one is privileged to drive a car of such sublime capabilities at such a low price.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I adjusted mine according to the video and have a few observations that others have mentioned:

1) It's definitely the right way to have them adjusted, but is going to take some getting used to.

2) Looking out the mirror and not seeing the side of my car for reference, I feel like they are adjusted incorrectly, and I'm missing something, since I'm used to them being adjusted the wrong way.

3) I'm definitely a little more distracted when driving now because my peripheral vision keeps seeing the roadside whip by in the mirror as the landscaping changes I wasn't seeing before with them turned in more.

4) Have to untrain myself from leaning over toward the mirror for a wider view when changing lanes LOL (The whole point of having them adjusted correctly).

Last edited by madscotsman; 05-23-2019 at 02:27 PM.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #22
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadkar View Post
Totally agree with you there. Parking is a huge pain with this thing. I just thought I'd share a way to alleviate one aspect of the poor visibility. It's something I use in every car now and it makes a huge difference when driving.
I can whip my car into a parallel spot in 30 -45 sec. Depending on out tight it is. All you do is adjust your Passenger mirror pointing to the curb and back rear tire. Look at your mirror and you can se exactly how far you are from the curb. its easy.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #23
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

This is why Camaros are not Sports cars as some people want to say. Sports cars are smaller 2 seaters you can whip around in tight spots. You don't want to whip around a Camaro in a tight spot. too much power for one thing. You'd be foolish to be whipping around in tight areas with that kind of power, 1st gear itself is good to past 40mpg. Most sportscars are 4 bangers that are probable shifting from 1st before 20mph. Camaros are still Pony cars or with the power at hand modern muscle cars. They are good on the track but the most fun is just the flat out TQ and speed if you have the space in a responsible area.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #24
fadkar

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
I adjusted mine according to the video and have a few observations that others have mentioned:

1) It's definitely the right way to have them adjusted, but is going to take some getting used to.

2) Looking out the mirror and not seeing the side of my car for reference, I feel like they are adjusted incorrectly, and I'm missing something, since I'm used to them being adjusted the wrong way.

3) I'm definitely a little more distracted when driving now because my peripheral vision keeps seeing the roadside whip by in the mirror as the landscaping changes I wasn't seeing before wiut them turned in more.

4) Have to untrain myself from leaning over toward the mirror for a wider view when changing lanes LOL (The whole point of having them adjusted correctly).
It definitely is disorienting/distracting at first but once you get used to it, there's no going back! It took me a few weeks to get completely used to it.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post

3) I'm definitely a little more distracted when driving now because my peripheral vision keeps seeing the roadside whip by in the mirror as the landscaping changes I wasn't seeing before with them turned in more.

Quote:
It definitely is disorienting/distracting at first but once you get used to it, there's no going back! It took me a few weeks to get completely used to it.
Don't give up, start consciously enjoying how cars in adjacent lanes ease into your side mirrors as they disappear from the rearview mirror. I used to feel the same for a few days---hard to unlearn those years of conditioned "comfort" seeing the quarter panel of your own car provides.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 05-23-2019 at 10:12 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:14 AM   #26
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
I don't think the Camaro is that bad with blind spots. There are certainly cars with better views but there is enough window space to drive this car comfortably whether or not you are just cruising or in the mood to spend more gas.
The HD camera in the rear view mirror of my 2019 takes away any backside anxiety someone could have. To be honest, I don't use it either. Theres something about an HD display above my head that distracts me more than any potential blind spot.
I had a 2011 and now a 2019.
When I test drove the 2019 after not having a Camaro for 5 years, it seemed better than before.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #27
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanky View Post
Exactly this I learned real quick from riding motorcycles that it's not only important to check your blind spots really well.. but to try your best to stay out of other peoples blind spots. Even then sometimes that isn't enough.
Absolutely. I try to stay away from other vehicles, especially on 2 wheels.

A wise man once said, your mirrors can only tell you "no", never "go". A head turn is required.
As careful as I try to be, I've often came close to making a lane change into a space that's already occupied by another vehicle.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #28
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
The key to getting comfortable is watching car disappear in the center mirror and then appearing in the side. Just do that while cruising

In the video he discusses setting the mirrors by leaning over and then aiming so you can see the side of your car. That means you can see the blind spot with then aimed out but get your familiar view by leaning over. With blind spot monitors, no need to turn at all so your always focused forward

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote