Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #113
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
F1FTY, did you get a chance to try it? wondering what your impressions are
Ended up selling my car and the controller...my apologies for not getting back to you about it. Hopefully the new owner will be able to relay his findings in here.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #114
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
If you'd like to try a track tune derived from recent outing at VIR by Michael Levitas in his new ZR1, which has been adapted to Camaro, email me robert@madmotormagazine.com and I'll send you the file. Give it a go, and lemme know what you think.
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:02 AM   #115
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
oh wow, interesting!! too many questions running around in my head, way to quickly.. but I'll start with this
What changes had to be made to adapt to the Camaro platform?? .... given the major weight, weight distribution, springs, spring rates, and power differences...
email sent
very exciting!!
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:03 AM   #116
DOHCVTEC

sorry to hear F1FTY... what do you think you're going to go with next?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #117
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Ended up selling my car and the controller...my apologies for not getting back to you about it. Hopefully the new owner will be able to relay his findings in here.
If you like having ability to dial in shocks, without replacing, look at DSC website for cars supported with V-Series controller. For super reliable track car, I'd suggest any 911 based newer Porsche with PASM and TPC Racing parts to keep it reliable and increase performance. TPC adheres to Porsche standard of excellence in quality, fitment, and performance. Soon as C8 is out, DSC will see about accessing system and creating calibrations for it, but sounds like you won't be driving a GM for a long while. If you're a drag racer, Nissan GT-R with DSC Sport controller, flat out hooks. Baddest GTR's in the land use DSC and stock shocks. Sorry to hear you had issues with GM.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #118
F1FTY

Quote:
sorry to hear F1FTY... what do you think you're going to go with next?
Thanks, haven't had a worst ownership experience with a manufacturer than with my two Camaros.

I went back to the Germans for a 2019 Golf R as my daily driver.

Will be going back to a 911 for my sports car.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #119
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
If you like having ability to dial in shocks, without replacing, look at DSC website for cars supported with V-Series controller. For super reliable track car, I'd suggest any 911 based newer Porsche with PASM and TPC Racing parts to keep it reliable and increase performance. TPC adheres to Porsche standard of excellence in quality, fitment, and performance. Soon as C8 is out, DSC will see about accessing system and creating calibrations for it, but sounds like you won't be driving a GM for a long while. If you're a drag racer, Nissan GT-R with DSC Sport controller, flat out hooks. Baddest GTR's in the land use DSC and stock shocks. Sorry to hear you had issues with GM.
Will be grabbing a DSC unit when I pick up a 997.2 911
Old 05-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #120
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Pimpin!

Quote:
Will be grabbing a DSC unit when I pick up a 997.2 911
Woo hoo for you! I'm jealous... you'll love it. I really dig my Camaro, lotsa fun, but I'd sure like to roll with 997.2 to mix things up!
Old 05-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #121
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Thanks, haven't had a worst ownership experience with a manufacturer than with my two Camaros.

I went back to the Germans for a 2019 Golf R as my daily driver.

Will be going back to a 911 for my sports car.
very nice
last month I had the privilege of driving a 991.2 GT3 for 15 laps.. what a car, just defies logic, in a great way
also had a cobb tuned Golf R on my used car lot for a month or so.. very cool car too.. loved that awd launch control
my next target will definitely be a 911 as well.. hoping for a gts... just couldn't swing it this time around
Old 05-07-2019, 02:38 AM   #122
DOHCVTEC

madmotor, I know we are getting off topic, but you have any files developed on the camaro, I would love to see them to look at the changes... I am looking the ZR1 mapping right now... I see the velocity calibration is way different and shock calibration current is way higher.. over 1300 @ 100% instead of 1100 on the base tune.. not sure if its ok to try it
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #123
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
madmotor, I know we are getting off topic, but you have any files developed on the camaro, I would love to see them to look at the changes... I am looking the ZR1 mapping right now... I see the velocity calibration is way different and shock calibration current is way higher.. over 1300 @ 100% instead of 1100 on the base tune.. not sure if its ok to try it
Michael Levitas has dynode MRC shocks, and with the calibrations, he's adjusting the Shock Calibration range, MA values from 0% to 100% so the shock gets to where it needs to be quicker, with the appropriate force, indicated by the Velocity values.

So when you think of it, have this thought in mind, you want to calibrate the shocks so they react with the appropriate speed and linear resistance on Compression and Rebound, according to sensor inputs, to maintain grip. Also keep in mind that Mike figured out a way to have the MRC shocks mimic racing shocks, as if they were Infinitely adjustable, on-the-fly. OEM MRC shocks do surprisingly well at this, with his controller and calibrations.

Once your Shock Calibration range is established, the only tab you really need to focus on is Velocity. Don't overthink it like I have!
Old 05-11-2019, 02:48 AM   #124
DOHCVTEC

still wondering why such a big difference... never mind the velocity differences and how the effect camaro vs corvette
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #125
DOHCVTEC

the first one is the new zr1 calibration, the second one is the original camaro calibration
Old 05-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #126
DOHCVTEC

UPDATE... in the last coupe of days I decided to switch back to and fourth between stock controller and the DSC controller... this is just on the street, and here is the verdict... DSC may have some advantages but one advantage it absolutely does not have is dealing with bumps.. this one definitely goes to the stock controller.. as the matter of fact, the stock controller keeps the the car flatter in almost all situations..
one bump in particular I tried over and over, in all the modes with both controllers and with the DSC the car tries to throw me out of my seat.. and that is in all three modes, I even tuned the comfort setting out completely.. all it did was make the car very jittery, it did not make it handle the bump(s) better.. so as far as wavy or bumpy road, quick elevation changes, this one definitely goes to the stock controller

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1