Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #113
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 79 View Post
When you say Valves closed, do you mean when the exhaust is in Stealth mode? Or when the car is in Touring/Sport/Track below a certain RPM range?

I mean in touring mode, although the sound should be the same in touring vs sport when cruising. In track mode below ~1800 rpm it drones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #114
70chevelleSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
Do you have a manual or auto? If the sound isn’t to my liking I may through on the borla resonators. The borla lines right up to stock so I’m not expecting figment issues

Mine is an a8. Don’t get me wrong it sounds great but it drones in track mode below ~1800 rpm.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #115
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelleSS View Post
Mine is an a8. Don’t get me wrong it sounds great but it drones in track mode below ~1800 rpm.

Cool, thanks! I'm in a manual. I'm only below 1,800 for as much time as it takes to go from zero mph. I don't think I'm ever at that rpm while driving.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #116
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
I mean in touring mode, although the sound should be the same in touring vs sport when cruising. In track mode below ~1800 rpm it drones

Awesome, that's helpful. I just want to make sure that when I'm going on a long drive at highway speeds I can keep it in sport or move it into touring and not deal with any drone.

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #117
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Shouldn't have any drone with the valves closed. That is what I liked the best about this exhaust aside from the deep tone. It has the biggest variance going from closed to open. Most of the other NPP exhausts are loud in both modes.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #118
MAGAUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Shouldn't have any drone with the valves closed. That is what I liked the best about this exhaust aside from the deep tone. It has the biggest variance going from closed to open. Most of the other NPP exhausts are loud in both modes.
This is why I went with this exhaust. With the stock NPP and Borla midpipe, for me valves closed only makes sense on cold or other starts in the neighborhood. But closed was too quiet to ever be in Tour or Sport while driving. I wanted a functioning after market NPP that makes a difference with the valves but also increases sound. I’ll have it installed tomorrow morning. Curious how the Borla will mate to this and what may be required.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #119
MAGAUSA

I have this installed, mated to the Borla midpipe (secondary "cats" deleted). Previously the Borla midpipe was welded to the stock pipes leading into the stock muffler suitcase. For awhile this satisfied me, with the increased sound that the Borla provided. In the end it wasn't enough and I wanted something more aggressive with the functionality of the valves. I couldn't see any system that actually made a difference with the valves other than this one.

As far as fitment, the shop had to create a transition piece since the Flowmaster and Borla pieces were essentially the same size. It was no problem at all and it's all buttoned up.

I really like the black painted system. It tucks underneath and doesn't appear hanging out like a big bling set of wannabe balls. YMMV. I don't like how the the outlets on the exhaust are different, but I may get used to it. The Delta 40s (the quieter ones on the inside) are narrower in inner circumference, but then have an effect to them by having more material inside vs the outlaws. They are the same outer circumference. I'll be happy when they are covered in carbon. Poor me right?

They sound fricking amazing. I finally have an NPP that is useful for my purposes. The stock was rental car quiet with valves closed. And the passenger side rattled like a cheap tin can (epoxied under warranty, then I just gave up). Now I have a mildly, ever so mildly, aggressive exhaust with the valves closed and an absolute blast when the valves are open. In both modes, the sound is deeper, with valves closed just ever so sweet and with valves open, just like an American V8 should sound. I drive a manual and it does get a little boomy around 1,800 with the valves open, but with a manual it works just great for what I want.

I now find myself using the NPP more. I used to be in track mode all of the time. Now I'm able to use tour and sport mode more than ever, and stealth before I turn it off.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #120
70chevelleSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
I have this installed, mated to the Borla midpipe (secondary "cats" deleted). Previously the Borla midpipe was welded to the stock pipes leading into the stock muffler suitcase. For awhile this satisfied me, with the increased sound that the Borla provided. In the end it wasn't enough and I wanted something more aggressive with the functionality of the valves. I couldn't see any system that actually made a difference with the valves other than this one.

As far as fitment, the shop had to create a transition piece since the Flowmaster and Borla pieces were essentially the same size. It was no problem at all and it's all buttoned up.

I really like the black painted system. It tucks underneath and doesn't appear hanging out like a big bling set of wannabe balls. YMMV. I don't like how the the outlets on the exhaust are different, but I may get used to it. The Delta 40s (the quieter ones on the inside) are narrower in inner circumference, but then have an effect to them by having more material inside vs the outlaws. They are the same outer circumference. I'll be happy when they are covered in carbon. Poor me right?

They sound fricking amazing. I finally have an NPP that is useful for my purposes. The stock was rental car quiet with valves closed. And the passenger side rattled like a cheap tin can (epoxied under warranty, then I just gave up). Now I have a mildly, ever so mildly, aggressive exhaust with the valves closed and an absolute blast when the valves are open. In both modes, the sound is deeper, with valves closed just ever so sweet and with valves open, just like an American V8 should sound. I drive a manual and it does get a little boomy around 1,800 with the valves open, but with a manual it works just great for what I want.

I now find myself using the NPP more. I used to be in track mode all of the time. Now I'm able to use tour and sport mode more than ever, and stealth before I turn it off.

Sweet! I’m considering buying flowmaster a scavenger x pipe for mine, to go with the axle-back I already have. Not sure if it would be enough of a difference to be worth it though

Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #121
MAGAUSA

Quote:
Sweet! I’m considering buying flowmaster a scavenger x pipe for mine, to go with the axle-back I already have. Not sure if it would be enough of a difference to be worth it though

Just do it. Why not?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #122
KingLT1

Does anybody else notice a excess amount if "hissing" when the valves are closed? It's almost like the valves don't close all the way and they leak.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #123
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
No and I’ve had mine since Spring of 2017. Love it, no drone and tone is deep!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #124
KingLT1

Yeah I think mine is defective. I can see gaps around where the valves are suppose to seal to the pipe. Mine has some drone with the valves open which is no biggie.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #125
70chevelleSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Yeah I think mine is defective. I can see gaps around where the valves are suppose to seal to the pipe. Mine has some drone with the valves open which is no biggie.

Mine also has drone when the valves are open. But I don’t mind bc I just shut them when cruising and there is no drone. I have tossed around the idea of buying the flowmaster x pipe, I’m curious if it would make the drone better or worse or have any effect at all.

But no, I don’t have any whistling noises with the valves closed. My valves also appear to close fully

Old 03-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #126
KingLT1

Quote:
Mine also has drone when the valves are open. But I don’t mind bc I just shut them when cruising and there is no drone. I have tossed around the idea of buying the flowmaster x pipe, I’m curious if it would make the drone better or worse or have any effect at all.

But no, I don’t have any whistling noises with the valves closed. My valves also appear to close fully

Thanks for feedback...yeah no drone when closed. I like the sound a lot but when the valves are closed I get a hissing/spitting sound out the valve side. If I cover the tip with my hand then it goes away and it sounds really good. I listened to several vids of this exhaust before purchase and never heard this noise. I contacted Flowmaster and they had me email a screen shot of invoice and idle vid. Waiting to hear back.

Tags
american, axle, dual, flowmaster, npp