Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
this is what happens in every industry that is taken over by "the public". In recent history we've seen this in computers, RC toys, food supplements, etc.

stage 1. Something new is invented or discovered or started. The few early adopters can do basically whatever they want.

Stage 2. Popularity grows, certain rules are created to keep the activities of one person from interfering with another negatively.

Stage 3. Popularity has grown to a level where additional rules are needed to keep the activities organized and safe not just for those involved, but for everyone else not involved that are nearby

Stage 4. The activity is so pervasive that every aspect must be controlled and regulated

Pretty much everything goes though that process. Driving is just starting to get into stage 4 in the US. This will drive the progression towards automated driving and the removal of humans from driving vehicles. That will accelerate the move towards driving as a service and people will stop owning their own cars. This is guaranteed because it makes monetary sense (it's cheaper). There is no stopping the direction things are going unless an alternative shows up that is cheaper, safer, and more convenient. Good luck with that. It wont reverse either. Your rights and freedoms will always be reduced as the population increases and as your activities are shared across more people. That's the tradeoff of civilization. Less rights, less freedom, but safety and better quality of life. In the 10,000 years it's been around, we're still trying to find the right balance.

btw. Those motorcycle decibel values are utter BS. There's no way in hell that most motorcycles that aren't crotch rockets pass that. What do they only test them when they're idling? Cops dont target them at all.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Actually there are specified values. 95db for cars and vehicles under 6000gvwr. Motorcycles also have a db value based on year of manufacture.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=27151

"(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment."

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum= 27202.

Good info ... All new sport bikes back to 2006 have cats , the newest ZX14R has 3 cats .. So you might get away with 96+ Dba of one of my aftermarket pipes but removing the Cats is a big no no .. I was born in Ca and I loved living there in the 50s 60s and 70s but it so messed up now I would never move back .. Damn shame .. Most of the drag strips are closed , The Sac drag strip is closing soon :( .. People are leaving as fast as they can for TX and FL ..
smokinzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #17
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...aust-noise-law
Old 01-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinzx14r View Post
Good info ... All new sport bikes back to 2006 have cats , the newest ZX14R has 3 cats .. So you might get away with 96+ Dba of one of my aftermarket pipes but removing the Cats is a big no no .. I was born in Ca and I loved living there in the 50s 60s and 70s but it so messed up now I would never move back .. Damn shame .. Most of the drag strips are closed , The Sac drag strip is closing soon :( .. People are leaving as fast as they can for TX and FL ..
California's population is increasing and has been increasing since long before 2010. It's also insanely more populated than even the 2nd place most populated state (texas). It's growing faster than about half of the states in the country.

So not so much leaving. Populations are just shifting. The direction things are going in ca is less about some perceived hippy agenda and more about dealing with quantity and fixed resources and the size of the public who are directly impacted by driving. The same process will occur in these havens eventually. It's only a matter of time assuming they also grow in population.

edit: and as far as drag strips closing, that's pretty much been going on across the entire country fairly uniformly. I Dont have the desire to jump thru each state in https://dragstriplist.com to count the ones they show as still being active vs all the ones that have closed since the 50's but just from bouncing between a bunch of states, it looks like close to 80-90% of pretty much every state's drag strips are closed. The exceptions being the states with massive amounts of empty inhospitable land (texas for instance). Which always had a ton more than everyone else it seems, and while their % may be still very high in how many closed, they still have a significant number of open tracks compared to other states.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 01-11-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: s/event/even
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #19
guapo
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro LT2/RS
Ok so for those who might be interested, soon i will have a factory NPP exhaust V6 version for sale. I purchased a SOLO axle back. This is the first one they have build for the V6. Some people already have the V8 version. if interested let me know, I am in Florida, 32536
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
NPP by definition bypasses the muffler. That's how it works.
Looking at a cut away of a NPP muffler, technically it doesn't bybass the muffler. All exhaust gasses enter the muffler enclosure, when the valve is open most of the gasses exit the muffler thru the shortest passage, and that happens to have the least sound damping.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #21
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Looking at a cut away of a NPP muffler, technically it doesn't bybass the muffler. All exhaust gasses enter the muffler enclosure, when the valve is open most of the gasses exit the muffler thru the shortest passage, and that happens to have the least sound damping.
That’s a very astute point. Technically it isn’t a bypass, this mini exhaust (factory available) DOES bypass the muffler

https://www.minif56.com/forum/attach...1&d=1456107748
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #22
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I just listened to a Smoking Tire podcast. It seems that they aren't just targeting these type of vehicles that do the sideshows. There have already been confirmed reports of people with stock high end cars getting tickets. The specific one they mentioned was a guy in a GT3RS. Also stated in the podcast, "people with that kind of money are usually ones who directly or indirectly provide major support to the politicians." Start hitting these people with the fines will end up in a backfire on the politicians.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #23
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
I have a Borla S-Type on my 18 ZL1. It’s is legal in California. State referee will measure 19.95” away @ a 90 degree angle. .95 decimal @ start & engine revving too 2K RPM. Borla ATAK will not make it though.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #24
Henkle

Drives: 2017 50th SS Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
I have a Borla S-Type on my 18 ZL1. It’s is legal in California. State referee will measure 19.95” away @ a 90 degree angle. .95 decimal @ start & engine revving too 2K RPM. Borla ATAK will not make it though.

Just wondering, could one choose to close valve (if equipped with NPP) during testing? If so, would ATAK pass the test when valves are closed?
Henkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #25
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkle View Post
Just wondering, could one choose to close valve (if equipped with NPP) during testing? If so, would ATAK pass the test when valves are closed?
I am not sure what the State referee would do. He has encountered cars like ours before I am sure.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #26
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
noise has nothing to do about safety but the meaning you were making is valid.

It's definitely about revenue. Most cop patrol duties are about revenue, that's why they hide and try and catch you doing something against the law instead of just implement monitoring devices or be fully visible in the open, enforcing the law uniformly 100% of the time.

People dont want these laws enforced 100% of the time. They're written in a way they are because that's how laws have to be written, but they really want per-situation review and only enforcing the law when it makes sense that something is really wrong. You can't write that into law though and the side-effect is that it gives massive amounts of power to the police who are benefiting not only from applying the law liberally but also in who they apply it to. Poor people are almost always targetted by these laws rather than rich people. Since poor people dont really vote, this ensures the practice can continue unabated.

Someone else mentioned this idea before but these kinds of fines and laws need to be written in a way that the money doesn't go to the state or police but is returned back to drivers who paid for vehicle registration that year as a dividend. Then there's no incentive for the police to overextend the spirit of the laws and they can focus on safety instead of tax collecting.

The other option is to make fines a percentage of your income like they do in some european countries. You'll see some review over how laws are applied really quick when rich people are impacted by a speeding ticket or some noise violation the same as it impacts a poorer person. Good luck getting that passed in this country though. Haves do not want to play by the same rules as the have nots.
Could you have a more warped view on law enforcement and fines? You can definitely tell we are in the California section....
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote