#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
eagle3203

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Summit White w/PDR
Send a message via MSN to eagle3203
Some sort of grinding sound...

Good afternoon ladies and gents. So I thought I’d ask if anyone else had experienced anything similar to what I am experiencing with my 1LE. This past Friday and again today I heard a grinding sound while making a right hand turn into a parking garage on Friday, and then a parking lot earlier today. At first my heart dropped because I believed I was curbing my rims while making the turn. There was a bit of resistance as though I was stuck on something as well. I was sure it was the curb. After both instances, I got out and checked my rims and beneath the car for any damage and could find nothing apparent as of yet. Rims and all seem to be just fine. I have no idea what this could be resulting from. I also thought that it was perhaps the splitter scraping the ground but the incline for both the parking garage and parking lot had no significant change in angle. Besides, there was no damage shown there either. If anyone can suggest things I may want to look into, please let me know. I can’t seem to replicate the issue anywhere else while driving. I may have to try to turn into that same lot again another day perhaps but would prefer not to as I don’t want to cause any serious damage if there isn’t any reason to.
eagle3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
something stuck in brakes, like a rock?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
eagle3203

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
something stuck in brakes, like a rock?
I’ll check the rotors on the passenger side to see if there is any gouging that has occurred. Good suggestion btw. Only thing is that the roads I was driving on seemed pretty gravel and rock free for the most part.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Description sounds like diff groan .
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Are the grades or angles of the surfaces different from where you were coming and where you were turning into? I've had instances of the rear diff perhaps slipping in instances of turning with different angles of pavement and it sounds and feels bizarre. I wouldn't call it grinding though.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Pulling into my driveway I'll get one rear wheel off the ground, and if I don't let up on the gas or clutch in, it will sometimes make a grind type noise as the eLSD tries to lock up because of the wheel in the air.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
RatedR

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE Summit White
Was it a grind or a clicking? If it was more of a clicking you may want to re-torque your lugs to 140 lbft.
RatedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I have a weird sound when I back out of the driveway on my way to work and it’s very time I turn to the right or left . Only does it in the morning . Can this be the diff groan I’ve seen on here?
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
KCelsius

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
I recently dealt with a low speed scraping sounds when I did 90 degree turns, or close to full lock. It looks like part of the wheel well liner on the passenger side had been sagging and was basically rubbing against the tire when I did high angle turns. I just popped it back up and voila, away it went! The area where my sagged was to the left of the fuse box, so I'm not sure if I was just clumsy and pushed it down when I rested the fuse box lid there, but I'll be sure to be more conscious of it. Not sure if this is your problem since I'm not sure what kind of noise you're hearing.
KCelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
eagle3203

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
Are the grades or angles of the surfaces different from where you were coming and where you were turning into? I've had instances of the rear diff perhaps slipping in instances of turning with different angles of pavement and it sounds and feels bizarre. I wouldn't call it grinding though.
At least on the second occurrence, I know there was a grade incline. I’ve since tried to look out for the same issue but haven’t. I’ll count my fortune that it hasn’t happened again, but it was definitely a grinding sound like my rims were drinking against the curb. I see someone mentioned the eLSD locking and making that sound. Is that what the Diff should sound like at full lock though?
Old 11-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle3203 View Post
At least on the second occurrence, I know there was a grade incline. I’ve since tried to look out for the same issue but haven’t. I’ll count my fortune that it hasn’t happened again, but it was definitely a grinding sound like my rims were drinking against the curb. I see someone mentioned the eLSD locking and making that sound. Is that what the Diff should sound like at full lock though?
The eLSD is silent in normal driving, but when I went into my driveway the right rear wheel went from equal traction with the left rear to free wheeling instantly when the tire lifted off the ground. This was a low speed, high torque scenario as I was creeping up the driveway ramp for the first time trying to see if the car scrapes.
I was not aware the chassis was so rigid that the angle would cause the car to go up on three wheels. After this incident, I saw the noise was not caused by physical contact and determined it was the diff frantically trying to lock a spinning tire.
It happened one more time as I was learning how to navigate the ramp transition.

Going up on three wheels while trying to accelerate in a 90° turn at 2-3 mph is not something done in normal situations.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Hard turn? Could it be the edge of the tire was rubbing the inside of the wheel well?
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Pulling into my driveway I'll get one rear wheel off the ground, and if I don't let up on the gas or clutch in, it will sometimes make a grind type noise as the eLSD tries to lock up because of the wheel in the air.

When I first experience this, I also thought I curbed the wheels. Luckily, it was the eLSD, traction control, and/or a bit of wheel spin. My heart dropped thinking it was the wheels were curbed.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote