Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
JefemanG

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Post Going To Be In The Market For A New Car Soon. Why Should I Pick A Camaro 1/2 SS?

Title. Deciding on what to buy and the 2SS is definitely high on my list. I want to hear from owners why I should get the Camaro over something else.

I have my likes and dislikes in regard to the car, so let me hear everything you guys think.
JefemanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
2ss............the heads up display alone will save you countless speeding tickets, equal to the cost difference!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
JefemanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post
2ss............the heads up display alone will save you countless speeding tickets, equal to the cost difference!
If I get a Camaro, there's a 99% chance it'll be the 2SS.

This thread is more meant to be why should I get a gen 6 SS over a C6z, used C7, S550, Boxster S, etc etc.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
If you're the type that likes all the bells and whistles get the 2ss............
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefemanG View Post
If I get a Camaro, there's a 99% chance it'll be the 2SS.

This thread is more meant to be why should I get a gen 6 SS over a C6z, used C7, S550, Boxster S, etc etc.
Everyone has different tastes and preferences, so it really depends on your personal tastes and what the purpose of the car is. Is this a daily driver or a weekend car? Are you going to take it to a track? Road course or 1/4 mile? Do you like to mod? Are you going to go FI?

Also, if you can rent an SS for a couple of days, it will probably convince you. The driving experience is awesome, but it is hard to get the full feel of the car on a 15 minute test drive at a dealership.

Basically the strengths of the SS are BMW M like handling/feel/feedback with a small block Chevy engine, and track prowess out of the box. Weaknesses are the visibility and small trunk opening.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
im not really sure how we could possible help you. you are cross shopping a variety of very different cars with the only commonality being similar performance and handling. excepting the s550 which is similar in performance but not handling.

track car? daily? show car? e-peen? i have no idea why you are shopping for any of those cars.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
JefemanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Everyone has different tastes and preferences, so it really depends on your personal tastes and what the purpose of the car is. Is this a daily driver or a weekend car? Are you going to take it to a track? Road course or 1/4 mile? Do you like to mod? Are you going to go FI?
Honestly, it'll be more of a DD than anything else, which is why I'm hesitant on cars like a C6z. I'm posting this to get people's feels for why they like the 2SS and how it suits them well. I might mod, but not excessively. Just basic bolt-ons, maybe FI if I feel it later.

Whatever I get will be road-coursed at least once every few months. More if possible, but it won't be a DEDICATED track car. Beyond that, I really just want something I can romp on for fun but also won't kill me to drive if I'm in traffic for a bit. I don't need "practicality" (no children, all my hauling is done with another vehicle, etc) but I do want something that won't get annoying to drive for long periods of time.

The C6z and the 2SS are pretty high up there for me right now. I will definitely need to drive both before deciding, but I just want to get how you guys feel about your cars first to help when I'm deciding later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Also, if you can rent an SS for a couple of days, it will probably convince you. The driving experience is awesome, but it is hard to get the full feel of the car on a 15 minute test drive at a dealership.
Great idea. I didn't even think about that...
Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
jerryb1984

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss
I chose the camaro over a mustang as I prefer the look and they aren’t as common around here. Could have paid about 3 grand less for a similarly optioned mustang premium track pack vs the camaro 2ss I ended up with, but it was money well spent. Back seats are shit, so don’t get it for the seating. I’m 6’2” and the backseats are useless. Will take my wife and 2 kids for half hour or less trips only. My 06 Acura rsx has way more back seat room.
jerryb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
JefemanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryb1984 View Post
I chose the camaro over a mustang as I prefer the look and they aren’t as common around here. Could have paid about 3 grand less for a similarly optioned mustang premium track pack vs the camaro 2ss I ended up with, but it was money well spent. Back seats are shit, so don’t get it for the seating. I’m 6’2” and the backseats are useless. Will take my wife and 2 kids for half hour or less trips only. My 06 Acura rsx has way more back seat room.
I've sat in an RS and at 6'5", it's kinda tight compared to the Mustang, but I was surprised how much room there was for both vehicles if I'm being honest.

Where I'm at, there are more 2SS on the road than GTs, but more EcoBoosts than other comparable Camaro trims. I'm not concerned with what others are driving tbh. The thing is, looking at both, the current SS looks so much meaner than the current GT, which is a huge selling point to me. I'm not a fan of the refresh by any means, even having seen it in-person. I think it was a great refresh sales-wise, but not for those of us who prefer that more aggressive look. I'm not a fan of how tame the new Mustangs look, but I don't quite know (haven't driven a new SS) if the Camaro is really worth how much more it is. Where I'm at, a brand new GTPP can be had for around $31k. A 2SS with NPP and MRC will be $44k. I don't know if the Camaro is quite $13k better, but I imagine Chevy will be having A LOT of incentives in December that may help sway me some. That or if the price will drop on used 2SS.

When you say it was money well-spent, why is that exactly? What makes it better than other new or used cars in its price-range?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
I sold an 08 Vette a couple years ago and was planning on getting a C7. Never paid much attention to Cameros (am more interested in sports type cars) until the 2016 won the MT car of the year, and a good part of the reason was handling and ride and declaring it to really be a sports car AND a muscle car (like the C7), not just for straight line performance, plus the drive train, HUD, rev matching, MRC, brakes, infotainment, etc. on the SS were just about the same as the C7. Ended up with a used 16 2SS, 7800 miles, MRC, snrf, M6, npp. An I am enjoying it more than I ever figured I would, even the disco lights, figured only teenagers would get off on that but I love them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jDaqQ0uMsypeHVig1

Here are my reasons:
- Price (especially used, Vettes depreciate much slower)
- ground clearance (really got sick of scraping the ground with the vette, no problem with the SS)
- OMS (Old Man Syndrome) (am going on 68 and my kids (and wife) gave me crap about driving the vette old man car, I would guess the average Camero owner is at least 20 years younger?)
- much of the 2SS is C7 (as mentioned above, plus BSD that you can't get on the vette, I never had it before but with a car like a Camero or C7 I found it to be one of the most important options on the car)
- more cockpit room in the Camero (the C7s is tighter, don't know if its the seat itself or the door/center console closer to each other)
- 6 vs. 7 speed manual (unless you regularly need to exceed 175 mph who needs it? Had read many complaints from C7 owners about that)
- un-snob factor (Camero is more blue-collar, many people just get vettes to impress)
- much easier to get in and out (if you are a millennial it doesn't matter)
- has a trunk (I got a Modern Spare and no longer worry about getting flats and having non-runflat tires, could put one in the back back of a C7 coupe but who would want to look at that all the time?)
- can get a sunroof (if you like that kind of thing, removing/stowing the vette top especially in a rain storm got to be a pain, but it is more convertible-like than a sunroof)
- the three main negatives you hear about in all the 6th gen Camero reviews don't bother me a bit:
- outside visibility (especially with BSD).
- small trunk opening is a very small negative and with fold down rear seat there is plenty of room.
- downward angle of infotainment screen (never would have noticed if I hadn't read about it in a review).

BUT, if you just have to have a vette, there is no logic to it, you just get a vette, as others have said, its a win-win either way.

RH
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
If you have specific questions then feel free to ask but no one here is going to convince you or sell you on the camaro. We're not salesman, we don't work at a dealership, and we get nothing out of you buying a camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
im not really sure how we could possible help you. you are cross shopping a variety of very different cars with the only commonality being similar performance and handling. excepting the s550 which is similar in performance but not handling.

track car? daily? show car? e-peen? i have no idea why you are shopping for any of those cars.
I agree. This is super bizarre.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1978 Beechcraft Baron
So I just sold my 2011 5th gen 2LT and got another 2LT 6th gen. I paid $22K for the 2011 and sold it effortlessly on Carvana for $12K after almost 8 years of ownership and 81K miles. Other than tires and oil changes, my maintenance was basically nil. So if cost of ownership is an issue, you definitely can do worse than the Camaro.

The M6 is definitely a lot more fun to drive than the A8.

The HUD is definitely worth having and I wouldn’t own one without it. It’s particularly nice with the M6 as the tach can be displayed on the HUD.

Initially I didn’t want to pay $500 extra for the NAV radio as I don’t intend to subscribe to the service. However with this option you can display the speed limit in the DIC. So it’s kinda nice to have that for that reason alone, although there’s certainly phone apps that will do the same thing. I have the subscription in my Tahoe and one thing that’s nice about it is you get navigation annunciation on the HUD. With the monthly subscription and yearly database updates, it does get expensive, but might be worth it if you use it often.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quality control is lacking. Especially on the A8. Get a 2019 with A10.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #14
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
I'd pass on the vette as a dd simply because you'll end up scraping it all the time.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote