#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #57
TMS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE - HBM, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Ran out and stuck my phone under the car and got these...Looks like we removed the factory clamp.
Thanks a bunch. Those pics are perfect. Since you are not experiencing any CELs, I think I'll remove the factory clamp and match to your setup. Thanks for the quick response.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated
TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:14 AM   #58
brduke

Drives: '18 1LE '12 V-Wagon, '16 F90 & M3
I like your set up.
IF it is OK to ask, how much total $$ in (parts and labor)?
I have a lift, do you think a swap like this can be completed at home?
Can you provide a total order list / parts list?
Would you do this same system again, any changes?
You can PM message me if that is better.
Thanks and this is a great post.
brduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:47 AM   #59
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS View Post
OP,

I am deleting my secondary cats for the exact same reasons you stated. Don't want to hack up my stock exhaust. I have the Borla cat delete front pipes. My question is on the driver side. Instructions say to use the provided accuseal clamp but the factory driver side primary cat has a permanently fixed clamp on the outlet already. Did you use the Borla clamp or the factory clamp or both?

Yes, you have to remove the factory clamp and it is not an easy task getting the OEM pipes to separate at that joint. FYI, there is also a soft metal seal of some sort that comes apart as you pull the two pipes apart. I had to use a rubber mallet and beat on the first bend aft of the joint- don't worry you won't dent anything.

You'll also want to use a scotch brite pad or some fine grit sandpaper to make sure there are no burrs or debris when you go to slide the Borla pieces on.

Finally, get yourself some Walker Acousti Seal (or similar product) to ensure you don't have any leaks at the clamps. Stuffy is sticky as shite though so use some rubber gloves when you're handling it.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:49 AM   #60
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brduke View Post
I like your set up.
IF it is OK to ask, how much total $$ in (parts and labor)?
I have a lift, do you think a swap like this can be completed at home?
Can you provide a total order list / parts list?
Would you do this same system again, any changes?
You can PM message me if that is better.
Thanks and this is a great post.
Borla 60606 was ~$600. I kept the OEM suitcase. I did mine on a lift and having never really screwed with an exhaust system was done in a couple of hours. I imagine deleting the suitcase for after market would take an hour or so.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #61
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post

Finally, get yourself some Walker Acousti Seal (or similar product) to ensure you don't have any leaks at the clamps. Stuffy is sticky as shite though so use some rubber gloves when you're handling it.
Thanks for these tips. Picking up some Walker AcoustiSeal today. Question - does the putty stay pliable? How hard is it to separate the joint after it cures? This will be important to me as I need to install the secondary cats to pass emissions inspections.

JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated
Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #62
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS View Post
Thanks for these tips. Picking up some Walker AcoustiSeal today. Question - does the putty stay pliable? How hard is it to separate the joint after it cures? This will be important to me as I need to install the secondary cats to pass emissions inspections.
I cannot speak to the ease of getting it off at all. As the car is registered in Texas I don't ever see the need to put the secondary cats back on.

Having said that, I imagine this stuff is not easy to get off after a couple of heat cycles. It's fairly sticky when you put it on which leads me to the belief that it'll require some heat (propane torch or better) to pull it apart.

If you have to re-install your secondary cats every year I would advise against the 60606. Take a look at the 60607 as I don't think it deletes the secondary cats- but again, not 100% sure of that.

OR... you could just have a muffler shop cut the crushed section of pipe out of the OEM setup and replace it with round tube. Someone else on this forum did that (can't remember whom) but think I remember his saying it was ~$60 bucks and improved the exhaust note (deeper tone).
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 PM   #63
TMS

I am actually running the Borla 3" S-Type Cat-Back but instead of cutting the exhaust behind the secondary cats, I installed the cat delete pipes from Borla #60626 (which I think is effectively the same front pipes as 60606). The goal here was to not cut up the stock exhaust similar to the OP. I pulled the stock unit from primary cats to the tips out all in one piece. Easy in, easy out.

Smog/emissions inspections are every other year and since the car is new it will be several years before the first inspection is due.

Soooo, I think I am going to just use AcoustiSeal at the driver side front pipe to primary cat and leave all the other joints dry. Then I'll deal with it down the road.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
I cannot speak to the ease of getting it off at all. As the car is registered in Texas I don't ever see the need to put the secondary cats back on.

Having said that, I imagine this stuff is not easy to get off after a couple of heat cycles. It's fairly sticky when you put it on which leads me to the belief that it'll require some heat (propane torch or better) to pull it apart.

If you have to re-install your secondary cats every year I would advise against the 60606. Take a look at the 60607 as I don't think it deletes the secondary cats- but again, not 100% sure of that.

OR... you could just have a muffler shop cut the crushed section of pipe out of the OEM setup and replace it with round tube. Someone else on this forum did that (can't remember whom) but think I remember his saying it was ~$60 bucks and improved the exhaust note (deeper tone).

Last edited by TMS; 06-01-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #64
Drew303

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Can someone verify these are the right parts for this setup before I order?

http://juicedmotorsports.com/6thgene..._14784blk.html
http://juicedmotorsports.com/6thgene...rla_60606.html

Thanks
Drew303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #65
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
Can someone verify these are the right parts for this setup before I order?

http://juicedmotorsports.com/6thgene..._14784blk.html
http://juicedmotorsports.com/6thgene...rla_60606.html

Thanks
Per the OP, yes.

Just make sure you heed the advice on making sure there is clearance on the mid pipe under the tunnel brace.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #66
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
still waiting on vids
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #67
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I ordered the Borla 60606 for secondary cat delete and the band clamps to attach the 2.75" union between the new Borla pipes and factory NPP.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #68
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I keep forgetting to record when I start it up. I will get some videos soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I ordered the Borla 60606 for secondary cat delete and the band clamps to attach the 2.75" union between the new Borla pipes and factory NPP.
Sweet.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #69
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
That's exactly what I'm running. Love to hear your thoughts after install.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #70
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
This is the exact same setup as I had built, except I chose to maintain a 2.75” X-pipe since the rest of the exhaust system is 2.75”. There is a video sound clip on my post for those that are asking. I imagine it’s similar.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote