Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #183
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
What's funny is the dick with the ZL1 coming to a V6 thread only to down people for buying a cheaper car. Obviously you bought your car because you're insecure.
In my original post, I said that we're all lucky and fortunate enough to afford nice sports cars. The only issue I have is acting like the V6 is some great performance vehicle. It's nice, but let's not go overboard.

I bought this car because I have the wherewithal to do so, not that it should matter to you. I hardly come on the general gen 6 forums (for now obvious reasons), but I've had the misfortune to read some of your 'quality' opinions in the past.

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #184
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
How did you like the WRX? I was considering it, but I figured the Alpha platform would totally smoke it.
Completely different cars with different focii. My wife and I had 2 small children when I got my WRX..a car like the Camaro wouldn't have worked well at all. Difficult to explain if you haven't been through the kid thing.

I bought the 2002 WRX when it first came over, intending to keep it stock..but over time I wound up modding everything in sight. I never took it to the track, but with the larger turbo, bigger 2.5 block, injectors, etc, and the good dyno tune, the AWD launch would have probably put it safely into the 12's. All I cared about is that it pulled like a freight train, when I exited a corner! That particular WRX was a wagon, with excellent utility, and worked great for the outdoors and for bad weather. These are not high points for the Alpha platform.

If quarter mile numbers are what you're about, then no, Subaru doesn't focus on that. But those old GD-chassis WRX's/STI's were excellent at rally-style roads, curves, surfaces where traction counts. As I've said, a Swiss Army Knife of cars. The newer ones? I don't know, never owned one.
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #185
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
The dealer here is being an absolute pain in the butt. They keep trying to upsell me to the V8 even though it’s a little out of my budget. Mustang VS Camaro prices are relatively similar ballpark until you get into the V8, then the Camaro just takes off!!!
Long story short they’re trying to give me the worst possible experience in the 6CY and won’t even let me drive the 4. They said “OH the 4 is certainly not for you, no, you certainly would want a V8”
Then they do the whole, let’s keep the engine RPM down because the car isn’t broken in. We all know the V6 doesn’t have a lot of torque, so that’s pretty unfair. When we arrive at the lot he said, “See! The V6 is certainly down on power and not as fun as the V8!!!”
I was very annoyed because I don’t think he’s ever heard of a power curve, or a budget
Talk to Becky D here on the forums....she's a peach...and she will get you exactly what you want...no headache/hassle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
That's a whole lot of bad information man but what can one expect from a guy who buys a ZL1 and gets an auto.

And I don't care that the auto is faster. And your words don't try to dress it up to something it's not you absolutely bastardized that by putting an automatic in it.

If we're going to call it like we see it there's my little couple of cents for you

Beautiful car man should never bought it in auto.
Actually, his information was pretty accurate. The biggest deciding factor for a large number of people is financials. Gas mileage, insurance costs, drivability (weather), tires, etc...these things are all factored into the decision making of what model to buy. Add in things like heads up display, leather interiors, sunroof, and these can all force you to go a direction you may not have wanted to go in terms of payments or even model of car.

Also, there are a lot of people who simply want the look, not the performance. That's perfectly okay. It's perfectly okay that some just want a turbo 4 cylinder Camaro too. It's not my cup of tea but hey, I can't stand the color red and some people just love it.

As for the automatic in the ZL1....let me simply say this...it's the better performing version of the car. Is the manual fun to drive? Absolutely. Is it slower in the 1/4 and on the track? Absolutely.

If you've never driven a ZL1 automatic, you simply can't speak on it. 3 of my last 4 vehicles have all been manuals, and I prefer the manual by default. However, the current A10 in the ZL1 is one of the best additions to the Chevy performance lineup bar none...
Old 04-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #186
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Woah, I hope you guys take it down a notch.
I'm an old fart, freely admit the SS I have now, has more capability than what my driving skills will ever be, this point in time.
Just got back from my 1300 mile break-in oil change.
(Trip this last Saturday got a PROVEN 27.74 mpg mixed driving.)
Start-up in sport mode after service emptied the shop with guys (and gals) wondering what we were playing with.
This means a lot especially when you have a med issue that affects your longevity.
I used to work for an electrical engineer who hot-rodded in his day. Was a MENSA member, the smartest informed guy I ever met. He and i often talked about manual vs auto.
I used to think manual was where it's at. And I was young, dumb, and full of ----.
Auto in a practical sense on the street has a good place.
I want to drive my car to camp, and have it on vacay on Friday cruise-night at the pizza place. The A8 still has asphault ripping torque. Plenty there to act like an idiot.

I can say, don't discourage/criticize our younger forum participants. They are going to keep these informative resources here alive, and buy CARS.
Enjoy them. Have fun.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #187
mbavon

Drives: 50 ann. Rs, V6, sunroof, nav, spl
Location: Rochester NY way upstate 3 hours from Toronto on Lake Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
There is no love for the V6 if you want to go fast. Don't make that mistake, you can buy a 1ss A8 and be very happy instead of a loaded V6. If you want to buy a V6 then don't drive an SS.
I personally think my V6 is fast enough for mainly commuting 20 minutes to work. 335 hp is more than enough power and the engine has a growl without the upgraded exhaust. That however is probably the only thing I would change on my car. I should have ordered the performance dual note exhaust for a little extra growl. My Camaro is
2017 50th Anniversary V6 2LT RS, auto, Nav System (probably could have done without this because of Apple carplay), splash guards,sunroof.
My Baby after my dog:
Attached Images

mbavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #188
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Old 04-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #189
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Nice looking car, fella!
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #190
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbavon View Post
My Camaro is
2017 50th Anniversary V6 2LT RS, auto, Nav System (probably could have done without this because of Apple carplay), splash guards,sunroof.
My Baby after my dog:
Someone I work with has a 50th. Great looking spec.

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #191
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
I used to work for an electrical engineer who hot-rodded in his day. Was a MENSA member, the smartest informed guy I ever met. He and i often talked about manual vs auto.
I used to think manual was where it's at. And I was young, dumb, and full of ----.
Auto in a practical sense on the street has a good place..
Manual vs Auto is more about personal preference..."smart", "informed", really has nothing to do with it. I'm in my 50's, have an engineering degree..but I know better than to tell someone else how to spec out their enthusiast vehicle. Guess I'm old, dumb and full of ----.

I prefer manual..don't see that going away, any time soon.
Modern autos are neat stuff, just not what I want in my personal vehicle.
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #192
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrist5683 View Post
Lol all you V4/V6 guys are pretty funny, especially this specimen. When you can afford to buy my car, you can tell me which transmission I should of chose.

People can't rationalize spending an extra $10k on a V8, so they go with a V4/V6. Cool, that's none of my business. But when you act like 300 horse is considered 'performance' tier, maybe you need to get into more performance cars. Sports car? I guess (my GF's mazda has around that hp, granted the camaro handles better and looks better), but at the end of the day you're trying to make yourself feel better about your purchase. Like I said, enjoy what you have, but don't act like you have something big and bad. You don't.
You’re exactly correct, good sir. The V8 camaro is big because of the engine. Well, in a sporty vehicle- big is bad. So yes, the V6 isn’t big and bad because that’s the V8’s job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfield View Post
Completely different cars with different focii. My wife and I had 2 small children when I got my WRX..a car like the Camaro wouldn't have worked well at all. Difficult to explain if you haven't been through the kid thing.

I bought the 2002 WRX when it first came over, intending to keep it stock..but over time I wound up modding everything in sight. I never took it to the track, but with the larger turbo, bigger 2.5 block, injectors, etc, and the good dyno tune, the AWD launch would have probably put it safely into the 12's. All I cared about is that it pulled like a freight train, when I exited a corner! That particular WRX was a wagon, with excellent utility, and worked great for the outdoors and for bad weather. These are not high points for the Alpha platform.

If quarter mile numbers are what you're about, then no, Subaru doesn't focus on that. But those old GD-chassis WRX's/STI's were excellent at rally-style roads, curves, surfaces where traction counts. As I've said, a Swiss Army Knife of cars. The newer ones? I don't know, never owned one.
Ahh swiss army knife, that’s a good way to describe it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfield View Post
Manual vs Auto is more about personal preference..."smart", "informed", really has nothing to do with it. I'm in my 50's, have an engineering degree..but I know better than to tell someone else how to spec out their enthusiast vehicle. Guess I'm old, dumb and full of ----.

I prefer manual..don't see that going away, any time soon.
Modern autos are neat stuff, just not what I want in my personal vehicle.
I agree. The only auto I’m a fan of is the dual clutch. I’m not a big fan of the concept of a torque converter
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #193
ddanj

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
This thread is great. Great great great. Thanks for the lolz

IMO, the v6 with npp sounds good just putting around, and amazeballs at WOT over 4k.
3100 - 08/19/2017 TPW 09/11/2017 | 4800 - 09/20/2017 train journey done
3400 - 08/25/2017 | 5000 - 09/22/2017 at the dealer, and picked up!
4300 - 09/12/2017 Built! VIN available
4B00 - 09/14/2017 move to rail yard
ddanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #194
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
This is almost how all I4 / V6 threads end... ironically hence the title..."Where's the love."

As I stated before. The V6 is great for street driving, its overkill for it actually.

As for the poster who stated there is a comparably powered 300 HP Mazda, while thats true, note that it is AWD and much heavier...so it's not just about power numbers... It has no chance against a V6 Camaro in that respect.

Congrats on working in the Fortune 500 company, however; don't believe that makes you unique, I've worked for three Fortune 100 Companies ontop of which I also rehab and sell homes and I still have respect for the V6.

I personally consider it an entry level sports car. I don't consider it a performance car like the SS, but I do feel its obviously in the category within the rights of its name alone (Camaro, Mustang are always considered sports cars regardless of how you may feel about their performance, ask an insurance company and you'll be quoted as driving a sports car.), 335 horses, a light chassis, and it handles better than my 4th Gen Z28... its definitely nothing to sneeze at. Issue is you're comparing it to an outright machine starting at $37k maxing at $55k (an SS) with an all out 6.2L and for those who's thirst won't be satisified by the V6, I completely get that... but the 3.6 V6 Camaro is definitely quicker than the average car on the road today. Lets be real about that.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #195
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
so it comes down to this.is it better to drive a less powerful car at 9/10ths or a more powerful car at 6/10ths? i can tell you i dont use all the potential power of the V6 very often so the 8 cylinder would be a waste for me.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #196
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
a light chassis
3,500 lbs is still porky
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote