Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #15
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_MENIS View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies, I’m speaking overall roll racing or half mile runs. It just seems that the SS can’t compete in the long run.

Perhaps I’ll port the heads with some boost
In my experience these cars are not meant or built for roll racing. Where they shine is from a DIG or if you do roll from a very low speed like 20-30mph. Then you get all the advantages of our gearing and low end torque. Any of the Mustangs that beat me top end in a roll, I normally destroy on the strip. Its just the trade off you get. I share your frustrations though with the roll racing believe me.
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #16
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
There’s plenty of vids on a YouTube channel of a manual SS with nearly FBO E85 roll racing an 18 a10 GT that’s is FBO E85 minus intake manifold. I’ve talked to both of them online. Nothing hidden mods etc. all legit runs. They are neck and neck every race. And they have raced like 20 times. Actually the SS sometimes edges it out. Other than the new GT anything previous will need more mods to beat an SS from any speed. The channel is driven lifestyle. He can drive that manual proper. Very fast. If not for that he would lose every race. Which is the nature of a manual

There are also a couple channels of other people roll racing stock several times. The SS has the edge until it shifts into 5th around 115. Then the gt starts creeping. 5th gear is very tall in the a8. Kills it
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
TRich2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
There’s plenty of vids on a YouTube channel of a manual SS with nearly FBO E85 roll racing an 18 a10 GT that’s is FBO E85 minus intake manifold. I’ve talked to both of them online. Nothing hidden mods etc. all legit runs. They are neck and neck every race. And they have raced like 20 times. Actually the SS sometimes edges it out. Other than the new GT anything previous will need more mods to beat an SS from any speed. The channel is driven lifestyle. He can drive that manual proper. Very fast. If not for that he would lose every race. Which is the nature of a manual

There are also a couple channels of other people roll racing stock several times. The SS has the edge until it shifts into 5th around 115. Then the gt starts creeping. 5th gear is very tall in the a8. Kills it
All the Mustangs I am referring to are running the Cobra Jet intake package. I've run every single one of them before that and I win by 1-2 cars easy and after, at least when I am on pump, we either lock in almost dead even or they get me by 1\2 a car to a car. This is me running with a stock ported IM and TB. In order to compete I would need the ported MSD. That is a similar experience other 6th gens in my circle have also expressed as well. Im not saying its impossible for these cars to perform well top end but its just much easier for the Stang boys to do it in the natural flow of how their engines perform.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
antny

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the replies, I’m speaking overall roll racing or half mile runs. It just seems that the SS can’t compete in the long run.

Perhaps I’ll port the heads with some boost
That is a good start. You are going to need more horsepower to have that top end speed increase you are looking for.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRich2SS View Post
All the Mustangs I am referring to are running the Cobra Jet intake package. I've run every single one of them before that and I win by 1-2 cars easy and after, at least when I am on pump, we either lock in almost dead even or they get me by 1\2 a car to a car. This is me running with a stock ported IM and TB. In order to compete I would need the ported MSD. That is a similar experience other 6th gens in my circle have also expressed as well. Im not saying its impossible for these cars to perform well top end but its just much easier for the Stang boys to do it in the natural flow of how their engines perform.
Yes the msd helps top end a lot. The cobra jet is the best top end setup for sure on them. Run good up top.

Driven lifestyle channel I talked about his friend owns an ss with the same exact mods besides he has a stock unported msd. His friend has ported stock. He gets him by a couple cars top end every time. And it’s not even ported. I was surprised looking at dynos and the minimal gains at the track I seen with mine. They must really shine at 100+. I’ve told him he needs to get that msd ported if that 18 does more mods

He has run a lot of mustangs on that channel. Even CJ ones. He has beaten them all besides one that had WR and c85 fuel.it was also on a drag pack and him on stock wheels tires. He had him until about 100 mph or so. Good channel with many races at different stages of mods. You can really see what helps etc. The msd shows on top for sure.

I would suggest a ported msd to the OP. Shift at 6500. With a good retune. So you will need to raise your limiter to about 6800.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
I havent driven the brand new mustang, but I owned a 2015 5.0 with bolt ons, and it was nowhere near as fast as the 1LE is...Now, after 120 or so, idk - didnt make a habit of reaching those speeds. But staying below that, it's hard to see mustangs keeping up.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #21
TRich2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Yes the msd helps top end a lot. The cobra jet is the best top end setup for sure on them. Run good up top.

Driven lifestyle channel I talked about his friend owns an ss with the same exact mods besides he has a stock unported msd. His friend has ported stock. He gets him by a couple cars top end every time. And it’s not even ported. I was surprised looking at dynos and the minimal gains at the track I seen with mine. They must really shine at 100+. I’ve told him he needs to get that msd ported if that 18 does more mods

He has run a lot of mustangs on that channel. Even CJ ones. He has beaten them all besides one that had WR and c85 fuel.it was also on a drag pack and him on stock wheels tires. He had him until about 100 mph or so. Good channel with many races at different stages of mods. You can really see what helps etc. The msd shows on top for sure.

I would suggest a ported msd to the OP. Shift at 6500. With a good retune. So you will need to raise your limiter to about 6800.
Cool Im about to go check out his channel right now.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #22
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Not saying you are wrong but that just seems odd to me. the unported MSD makes less average power on the Dyno then a ported stocker, and gives up a bit of mid-range. It does show gains way up top but you have to spin the engine way past the point where the engine makes peak power. Hard to imagine it doing much at all until you get a cam and rev higher, then it should shine.

That being said not all mods translate gains on a Dyno...Ram air and CAI setups generally don't show the true gains because the vehicle is stationary and does not simulate the same conditions as the street or track. Maybe the MSD is in the same way?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #23
ULTRAZLS1

Yeah I’m not sure. I was surprised too. But that guy races the heck out of his car. He was satisfied with the improvement and it was obvious to see. His same friend eventually bought an msd. They raced again. That was the only change and it was even. Pretty surprising

I only seen a small gain at the track over a ported stocker and I have an msd that is ported. Things don’t always add up I guess lol
Old 04-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #24
TEEZYSS

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 2SS
Quote:
After running the car against some real decent competition, I just cant help but feel the car has a poor top end (90-100+ or so) in comparison to other V8s ex: coyote , c63 etc.

What can be added to help the top end?

Mods on car : 2"TSP, RF CAI, PP IM/TB, E85
Along with what ultraz said with getting ported MSD I would say drop your rear tire size to a 26" and get more rear gear. Should change your effected rear gear from 2.77 to 2.97. Its also been proven to increase both 1/4 et and mph. Will help with the 4th to 5th rpm drop/.

Most FBO e85 coyotes will back half 25-28 mph at the track. If your roll racing then you want to focus on the back half mods. BACK HALF meaning from the 1/8 mile to the 1/4 mile.

Chatting with my coyote friends by the time they get everything for the CJ setup its typically $1700-2000. So if you drop $2500 on PRAYS h/c setup then your right inline $$$ on what they are doing for the top end. Even if you just do his ported heads $1500 he is averaging a health 30whp up the curve.

Who's tune are you running?
GFORCE DRIVESHAFT,LME 174 T-STAT,ATI UDP up next...
TEEZYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEZYSS View Post
Along with what ultraz said with getting ported MSD I would say drop your rear tire size to a 26" and get more rear gear. Should change your effected rear gear from 2.77 to 2.97. Its also been proven to increase both 1/4 et and mph. Will help with the 4th to 5th rpm drop/.

Most FBO e85 coyotes will back half 25-28 mph at the track. If your roll racing then you want to focus on the back half mods. BACK HALF meaning from the 1/8 mile to the 1/4 mile.

Chatting with my coyote friends by the time they get everything for the CJ setup its typically $1700-2000. So if you drop $2500 on PRAYS h/c setup then your right inline $$$ on what they are doing for the top end. Even if you just do his ported heads $1500 he is averaging a health 30whp up the curve.

Who's tune are you running?
Richmond said to a guy on Facebook by this fall we should see some gear options.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
TEEZYSS

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Richmond said to a guy on Facebook by this fall we should see some gear options.
That would be awesome!!!
GFORCE DRIVESHAFT,LME 174 T-STAT,ATI UDP up next...
TEEZYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
ZNix

Drives: 1987 Buick Grand National
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
This changes everything!
ZNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #28
ULTRAZLS1

I’ve read that the ring gear is welded to the carrier in these cars.... how are they going to sell us gears?