Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Beamz27

Drives: 19 Satin Steel 2SS A10
New to the Camaro

Just traded in my 2017 SS sedan for a new 2017 2SS w mag ride. Just wanted to know what I should know about the car? Problem or common nuisances etc... I’ve heard some things about the rear diff and the fluid needing to be changed after 1k miles to keep it from whining and some other things but figured you could all give me some heads up tips about the car?

Feels good to be back in a coupe again after having a 15 and 17 SS sedan. All help appreciated!
Beamz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Congratulations on getting a great car. This is a great forum to find answers to very specific issues relating to almost all aspects of your Camaro. But by asking what problems to expect, you're apt to get yourself worried for probably no reason. You'll likely hear from a vocal minority who have had legitimate issues, but the chances you get the same troubles remains very small. My tip is enjoy your car and when specific concerns arise post a question and you'll get a lot of help.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
Beamz27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
Congratulations on getting a great car. This is a great forum to find answers to very specific issues relating to almost all aspects of your Camaro. But by asking what problems to expect, you're apt to get yourself worried for probably no reason. You'll likely hear from a vocal minority who have had legitimate issues, but the chances you get the same troubles remains very small. My tip is enjoy your car and when specific concerns arise post a question and you'll get a lot of help.
Thanks for replying.was f looking for issues so to speak but more so things that are common I should expect w the car. I noticed w mine I already have a dash rattle that sounds like it’s coming from behind the radio monitor and I have some wheel vibration and feels like something might be loose upfront when going over rougher roads. I love the gas mileage so far coming from a straight LS3 sedan that averaged 14mpg city lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
GA Camaro 2SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Things to expect.
1. A very intimidating growl every time you crank it.
2. A smile that can’t be taken off with Ajax.
3. A subconscious awareness that you have one of the fastest cars on the road.
4. An unexplained urge to floor it under all bridges !!! Gotta love that NPP!!

Enjoy it my friend. Enjoy !!!
GA Camaro 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
nothing. find some twisty back roads, put it in track mode, and shift 1-4

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #6
Beamz27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
Things to expect.

Enjoy it my friend. Enjoy !!!
I think my SS sedan w bimodal was actually louder than the Camaro under full throttle and idle but love the bark of it. Thanks for taking the time to reply! And yea this thing movesssssss! The SS sedan w 6spd auto was a dog getting through the gears.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #7
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamz27 View Post
I think my SS sedan w bimodal was actually louder than the Camaro under full throttle and idle but love the bark of it. Thanks for taking the time to reply! And yea this thing movesssssss! The SS sedan w 6spd auto was a dog getting through the gears.

the 8-speed is also fun to shift manually with the stick rather than the paddles

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #8
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
You'll find a lot of information here, check out the warranty and service issues sub-forum. Be sure to google search the old threads if you don't find something immediately.
A few of the more common things happening are:
Rear differential groan
Torque Converter issues (seems to be more common in earlier 6th gens)
Strange electrical/battery issues, some pretty alarming but it seems it usually gets fixed.

If you have wheel vibration get your balance checked and MAKE SURE the correct wheels are in the correct positions (mine were reverse from the factory). If you hear a sound or have a vibration, it's not normal, definitely get it checked out. When in proper working order, this car is as smooth as glass. If it isn't, there is something definitely wrong.

Otherwise, it seems to be a good car, but, as with all mass produced vehicles, there are issues. For each common issue, there are generally going to be "mega threads" going back to 2016. For a glimpse into these issues you could peruse the later pages in these threads to see what the current state of the problem is.

But I honestly wouldn't unless you happen to have an issue. Just enjoy the car and when you need help just ask.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Beamz27

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
You'll find a lot of information here, check out the warranty and service issues sub-forum. Be sure to google search the old threads if you don't find something immediately.
A few of the more common things happening are:
Rear differential groan
Torque Converter issues (seems to be more common in earlier 6th gens)
Strange electrical/battery issues, some pretty alarming but it seems it usually gets fixed.

If you have wheel vibration get your balance checked and MAKE SURE the correct wheels are in the correct positions (mine were reverse from the factory). If you hear a sound or have a vibration, it's not normal, definitely get it checked out. When in proper working order, this car is as smooth as glass. If it isn't, there is something definitely wrong.

Otherwise, it seems to be a good car, but, as with all mass produced vehicles, there are issues. For each common issue, there are generally going to be "mega threads" going back to 2016. For a glimpse into these issues you could peruse the later pages in these threads to see what the current state of the problem is.

But I honestly wouldn't unless you happen to have an issue. Just enjoy the car and when you need help just ask.
Thanks! Yea mine isn’t driving like glass and had 50 test miles on it when I bought. It’s a 17 so probably sat on the lot for a bit. I’m always weary of test drive miles. Thanks for the heads up. Exactly the answer I was looking for.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
Things to expect.
5. Cop Magnet. See thread

2 and 3 lead to 4 which leads to 5.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
Beamz27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
5. Cop Magnet. See thread

2 and 3 lead to 4 which leads to 5.
It’s not as loud as my SS Sedan was but that thing only attracted attention from cops at full throttle. If you’ve ever heard one full throttle it’s insane loud stock.

I’ve only got 120 miles on this thing and it’s still cold here in Chicago so I don’t think I’ll kniw how fast this car is yet until it warms up. The run flats on this car are dangerous in this weather and I probably won’t put Conti DWS06 tired on until fall.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
Liralen

Drives: 2013 KBM Camaro 2SS Hot Wheels
Quote:
Just traded in my 2017 SS sedan for a new 2017 2SS w mag ride. Just wanted to know what I should know about the car? Problem or common nuisances etc... I’ve heard some things about the rear diff and the fluid needing to be changed after 1k miles to keep it from whining and some other things but figured you could all give me some heads up tips about the car?

Feels good to be back in a coupe again after having a 15 and 17 SS sedan. All help appreciated!
There is a window fogging isdue with some. There is a service bulletin out for dealerships to repair if issues. Same that there is a service bulletin for the differential issue.

If experiencing any of those, be prepared & just bring a printout of the bulletin with you to the dealership. Most are not well informed on the individual issues as they 'receive so many notices everyday, son as small as "drum of mobile1 cost has increased 1 p
cent a quart". So they may not know until you tell them (yes they should search...but why waste everyone's time...

Garage:
2013 HotWheels SE Camaro, Coupe, V8, 2SS, Auto, #987 (aka V8HOTTY)
2014 Z51 Stingray 3LT Corvette, M7, Coupe - Laguna Blue Metallic
2016 Harley Davidson Roadglide, Screaming Eagle
2017 50th Anniv SE Camaro, Vert, V8, 2SS, M6, NAV, NPP, #537 (aka FIFTY)
2017 Silverado High Country, full bed/crew cab, Iridescent Pearl Tricoat
2018 Silverado LTZ, short bed/crew cab, 100th Anniv, Centennial Blue (aka CENTURY)
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Congrats on the new ride, you will love the car. Focus on the good of the car, the chance of having an issue is slim to know. In a blue moon, something does happen you have a warranty.

You may be a glass half full kind of guy, but try to enjoy the car and put your worries aside. Your post seems as if you bought a used 2000 Camaro with no warranties.

Quote:
The SS sedan is one mean sounding car, I'm sad to hear you got rid of it. I remember the 6 speed auto on my 2012 SS, the thing was a dog getting through gears. Your going to love the new A8.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #14
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:

How do ya do..
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote