Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
I don't know why everyone automatically goes on the deep end and telling someone they are screwed out of warranty because they did subtle mods to there vehicle, My peps it doesn't work that way, first off they have to prove that the mod created the issue and that it wasn't a factory defect, which in this case it is a factory recall or defect. You are in the clear brother, now whether or not the dealer and serviceman you deal with give you a hassle or not is something that is only up to you and them but either way they have to prove the situation they cant just deny service over exhaust or even a tune.
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #16
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchiliesSS View Post
I don't know why everyone automatically goes on the deep end and telling someone they are screwed out of warranty because they did subtle mods to there vehicle, My peps it doesn't work that way, first off they have to prove that the mod created the issue and that it wasn't a factory defect, which in this case it is a factory recall or defect. You are in the clear brother, now whether or not the dealer and serviceman you deal with give you a hassle or not is something that is only up to you and them but either way they have to prove the situation they cant just deny service over exhaust or even a tune.
I agree with all of that. I am getting the feeling I will probably get hassled but I can work my way through that. I just hope it's a good experience and they fix it. It literally makes no difference to the dealership if they just fix it and bill it under warranty.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
Dang... I need to bring mine in for this.
Same noise?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
I agree with all of that. I am getting the feeling I will probably get hassled but I can work my way through that. I just hope it's a good experience and they fix it. It literally makes no difference to the dealership if they just fix it and bill it under warranty.
Exactly! I think itll work out for you brother
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #19
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
This is mostly true for some mods, however it's not always so clear cut. For example, if an engine with an aftermarket tunes blows, while they may not be able to prove the tune did it, you can't prove the tune didn't do it. That's where it can get iffy.

Modding is fun, but it's a gamble.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #20
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Minor mods are OK but if GM asks for an ECM read out, youre dead. All warranty is off the table at that point.

Most good dealers are on what's called "self authorization" from GM.. That means they can make the call as to whether they want to warr something or not, Without checking with GM. However at the end of the year when they do an annual service warranty audit, if they find out that you've made several bad mistakes, they will pull your self authorization and they will have to call for every and each individual warranty for 6 months. . A dealer can't really do business that way, and value self auth, and what makes them scared to warr iffy items.
Warr audits Have several red flags the GM can see, such as you're doing more warranty work then other people of your size and stature in the dealer network, or certain items are being replaced more than what the normal life is, Anomolies like that. It's easy to see.

And in many cases when a dealer says no, it'll cost you so much to prove that he's wrong, it's not worth arguing about. Find another dealer. You can be in the right and your car can still be screwed unless you want to run the legal got with.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #21
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
This is mostly true for some mods, however it's not always so clear cut. For example, if an engine with an aftermarket tunes blows, while they may not be able to prove the tune did it, you can't prove the tune didn't do it. That's where it can get iffy.

Modding is fun, but it's a gamble.
I do agree with you. However there are 2 things really in my favor I think. Firstly they have to prove that it did cause the issue. Just like being innocent until proven guilty lol. Also there are many service bulletins of customers complaining about the same thing so that is some firepower for me.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
They don't have to prove anything if the car is modified from it's original factory configuration. This is one of the most misunderstood clauses in the Magnusen Moss Act. That clause refers to "tied in sales" and "replacement parts". I.E. GM can't force you to use only AC/Delco air filters, or Mobil 1 oil, by threatening to void your warranty. So long as the replacement part meets OEM specification and does not change the way the system operates or does not change the parameters. In that case, yes, they have to prove that the Fram Air filter or the Royal Purple Oil did not meet specification and therefore caused the failure.

But once you start modifying parts and systems to operate differently or outside of the factory parameters, all bets are off. They warranty the product they designed and manufactured. If the car is not designed and manufactured to run on e-85, and you set it up to run on e-85, it is no longer the car they warrantied, so no powertrain warranty.

They also apply multiple warranties. So if the My link goes out, it is still covered, as long as modifications did not cause the failure. Now, if you add a power amp or something as such, wire it up to that system, and it goes out, well, you are on your own. It's no longer the system as they built and designed it.

All that said, something like a TSB issue as this, may be a dealer choice thing. If they can effectively diagnose it, and repair it, without having to touch any of the aftermarket stuff, and especially fly it in under GM warranty inspection radar, then they might do it. As long as the dealer can get paid to do it. Now, if the warranty dept wants to see an ECU readout of the car, no deal, dealerships hands will be tied.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #23
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
They don't have to prove anything if the car is modified from it's original factory configuration. This is one of the most misunderstood clauses in the Magnusen Moss Act. That clause refers to "tied in sales" and "replacement parts". I.E. GM can't force you to use only AC/Delco air filters, or Mobil 1 oil, by threatening to void your warranty. So long as the replacement part meets OEM specification and does not change the way the system operates or does not change the parameters. In that case, yes, they have to prove that the Fram Air filter or the Royal Purple Oil did not meet specification and therefore caused the failure.

But once you start modifying parts and systems to operate differently or outside of the factory parameters, all bets are off. They warranty the product they designed and manufactured. If the car is not designed and manufactured to run on e-85, and you set it up to run on e-85, it is no longer the car they warrantied, so no powertrain warranty.

They also apply multiple warranties. So if the My link goes out, it is still covered, as long as modifications did not cause the failure. Now, if you add a power amp or something as such, wire it up to that system, and it goes out, well, you are on your own. It's no longer the system as they built and designed it.

All that said, something like a TSB issue as this, may be a dealer choice thing. If they can effectively diagnose it, and repair it, without having to touch any of the aftermarket stuff, and especially fly it in under GM warranty inspection radar, then they might do it. As long as the dealer can get paid to do it. Now, if the warranty dept wants to see an ECU readout of the car, no deal, dealerships hands will be tied.

"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."
Old 03-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Take that MAG-MOSS prinout into a dealership and start reading that to a dealer. The minute you do, he says "OK I'm getting my lawyer, you get yours" and you're in for 9 months of your car in pieces and $10 K… He can say NO all day long and nine months later you may be vindicated, up until then, you're SOL.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #25
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
We have beaten this MMWA to death many times in past here...just do search and you'll find some very valuable information.
GM needs to prove your mods caused the issue is the biggest jackshit out there... please educate yourself!
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Civilian

Drives: Fast
Note to self, make friends with the service manager before needing any service.
Civilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #27
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
In my experience it depends on the dealer. In my first trip to dealer for warranty service my car was bone stock and asked if they installed Performance addons offered by Chevrolet. This broke the ice and we talked tuning. They said they were ok with tuning but if I blow my motor, corporate will ask for a copy of the ECM and will void warranty. It’s not thier decision. I went to another dealer and they said they wouldn’t do any work on a car with mods and I only had a catch can at that point. Of course the dealer that was okay with mods was the one that (twice)dented and scratched my car...
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #28
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
I have found that Chevy dealers will not jerk you around with Warranty unless you do a Tune.
Add on stuff like exhaust, headers etc shouldn't be an issue.
OP is in California. Having headers is likely punishable by death.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote