#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-20-2024, 09:21 PM   #15
Crusher Camaro

Drives: 19 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
I think you may be under the impression that the ZLE is a wide ratio trans. It’s the opposite. 1st gear is far taller than a standard ZL1. It has a specific close ratio box for road racing. Gears are tightened up including both overdrive gears (5th and 6th). Coming out of a wide ratio trans, I absolutely love this box. I’ve never had a manual trans that works as good as the ZLE box and the gearing is awesome. I do understand the grass is always greener on the other side. I was on the other side for twenty years, lol. Perfect trans inmho.
pretty sure the zl1 and the zl1 1le share the same gears 1-5, 6th is the only change.

Edited:
they are close, found the old chart.
Attached Images

Crusher Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:40 PM   #16
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher Camaro View Post
pretty sure the zl1 and the zl1 1le share the same gears 1-5, 6th is the only change.

Edited:
they are close, found the old chart.
Yeah, it appears I am WRONG! However that chart is incorrect as well.
Crusher I found two other sources on the net that appear to be wrong as well. I went to the tremec site and found the applications specifically for the Zl1 and then the ZL1 1LE which shows both transmissions have the exact same gearing other than 6th. I have a Chevrolet factory publication that stated otherwise but it seems it may be wrong. I’m not sure what to believe at this point….

Last edited by Camfab; 05-20-2024 at 10:02 PM.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:55 PM   #17
Camfab

So there’s this…..
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...26120-9999.pdf

Then there’s this….
https://www.tremec.com/anexos/Product.Sheet_TR-6060.pdf

Is any of this correct?
Old 05-20-2024, 11:42 PM   #18
Camfab

Back on point SoCal, sorry for the deviation. I think a slightly taller tire as mentioned above may be your only reasonable cost choice at this juncture. It will like change the handling characteristics slightly.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:04 AM   #19
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
The ZLE gearbox was built for one thing, racing, not cruising... It is a compromise you have to make for the performance...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:18 AM   #20
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
a slightly taller tire as mentioned above may be your only reasonable cost choice
Not sure I would recommend this approach. Any tire that's tall enough to make a butt-dyno difference will probably also throw a stabilitrak code if it doesn't also rub the harness.

Last edited by Gunkk; 05-21-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:26 PM   #21
Camfab

You guys would know best, but I’m thinking one size bigger will help knock a few rpm off the cruising speeds. I went with a larger size on my old car just to pick up a couple mile an hour through the traps in the qtr as I was on the limiter. It’s a relatively simple change if the correct size is available, and yes if you needed to move or secure a harness, well that’s something you have to take care of. Throwing codes, well that’s certainly a pain. I don’t care for the over sensitivity these cars have, however it’s hard to argue with the out of the box performance package.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:27 PM   #22
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
You guys would know best, but I’m thinking one size bigger will help knock a few rpm off the cruising speeds. I went with a larger size on my old car just to pick up a couple mile an hour through the traps in the qtr as I was on the limiter. It’s a relatively simple change if the correct size is available, and yes if you needed to move or secure a harness, well that’s something you have to take care of. Throwing codes, well that’s certainly a pain. I don’t care for the over sensitivity these cars have, however it’s hard to argue with the out of the box performance package.
The cost of the wheels/tires doesn't justify the almost insignificant increase in MPG.

I've seen people chase MPG in 60's cars and after changing diff ratios, tires and spent a buch of money they got 0.5mpg. Not worth it.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:53 PM   #23
Kamero6

This guy installed a 2.85 in his M6 ZL1. It's very long geared...
Old 05-25-2024, 05:13 PM   #24
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Damn, that's exactly what I was looking for... just not as low of a gear as that.

Nice to know it works, would be curious to see what the RPM's were at 80mph unless I missed that detail. Would cool to feel my car with those gears for a day
ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Big Gulp + GMS High Flow Crash Bar
DMS Front HX + Fender Tank + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + TOYO 305/345 R888R's = 775rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:04 PM   #25
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Damn, that's exactly what I was looking for... just not as low of a gear as that.

Nice to know it works, would be curious to see what the RPM's were at 80mph unless I missed that detail. Would cool to feel my car with those gears for a day
I really appreciate this guy doing this, to see the results, and sharing with the community.

But in my personal opinion, I think he just made a mistake. (a fun one though )

Speed @6500
1 --> 82 mph
2 --> 117 mph
3 --> 155 mph

4 --> 188 mph
5 --> 229 mph
6 --> 276 mph

If you want try it, Skip 1st altogether, move the car in 2nd gear only, then shift to 4th and then 6th.

He turned a 6 speed into 3 speed transmission . With 3 overdrives.
He might also have cut off max speed.
Even with over a 1000hp, to drop 5th you need to be over 170mph, unless you race nascar I don't see that happening.