CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   SS 1LE OEM Brake Rotor Splash Shield (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525618)

Mountain 04-09-2018 11:36 AM

SS 1LE OEM Brake Rotor Splash Shield

I’m having trouble confirming whether or not the SS 1LE comes with a “track” brake rotor splash shield, like the alternate one the SS comes with (along with the taller control arm deflectors). I am trading my SS for a used SS 1LE and want to know in case I need to remove the track rotor splash shield off of my SS.

Just FYI, to be clear, the “track” SS splash shield is half as big as the regular splash shield and has an added “tag” of metal to cover the tie-rod end from heat. I’ll see if I still have a picture. I believe the GMPP 6-pot kits does include it.

Alpha1BC 04-09-2018 12:04 PM

I traded from the SS to an SS 1LE last year and asked the same question. The 1LE doesn't come with the secondary deflector that the SS uses. 1LE is ready to go to the track without swapping anything.

I believe I saw another post somewhere on here that mentioned that you could put the SS deflector kit on the 1LE for extra cooling, though.

Mountain 04-09-2018 12:07 PM

6 Attachment(s)
May have actually answered my own question, but this could still be an interesting point.

The stock SS shields look like the 1st picture (actually off an LT, but they are very similar). The SS "track" shields are the second picture, the GMPP 6-Piston Shields (same as SS 1LE) can be seen in the 3rd picture. The 4th, bottom picture is of RXtacy's SS1LE.

Point is, the SS "track" deflectors offer an even closer setup to no rotor shield at all.

Also, I've seen on here where the SS "track" control arm deflectors wont work on a SS 1LE due to the ride height. That is not true. The SS "track deflectors do not end lower, past the under fascia aero spats [that the 1LE's don't have]. As you can see from the 1LE picture, there is plenty room.

Mountain 04-09-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha1BC (Post 10140236)
I traded from the SS to an SS 1LE last year and asked the same question. The 1LE doesn't come with the secondary deflector that the SS uses. 1LE is ready to go to the track without swapping anything.

I believe I saw another post somewhere on here that mentioned that you could put the SS deflector kit on the 1LE for extra cooling, though.

Thanks, Alpha1BC, what you found out looks to be true.

Mountain 05-11-2018 06:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
SS Track Deflectors on the 1LE:

mjk3888 05-11-2018 07:28 AM

You are confusing the areo deflectors with the brake cooling deflector. What you circled has nothing to do with brake cooling. In fact that piece is to be removed from a standard SS when tracking. What Mountain showed is the SS cooling ducts. His pic clearly shows that is hangs lower than the SS 1LE ducts. They probably would be too low to leave on while street driving.

Alpha1BC 05-11-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain (Post 10180769)
SS Track Deflectors on the 1LE:

Nice! No interference with the SS 1LE brake shielding I assume? I was looking at mine the other day and thought the 1LE shield covered a little more of the rotor than the SS track shield, right? I could be wrong, though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjk3888 (Post 10180811)
You are confusing the areo deflectors with the brake cooling deflector. What you circled has nothing to do with brake cooling. In fact that piece is to be removed from a standard SS when tracking. What Mountain showed is the SS cooling ducts. His pic clearly shows that is hangs lower than the SS 1LE ducts. They probably would be too low to leave on while street driving.

Who are you addressing as "you?" Mountain made both of those posts lol.

And yes the SS track ducts definitely hang lower than the 1LE ducts. The intent of the SS track duct and minimalist dust shield were to provide maximum airflow to the smaller SS brakes, so they stick down further to deflect more air. I also had an SS for a bit and drove around with the track deflectors on the street. Even though they stick down lower, I never had any clearance issues. They move with the wheels, so the only things you have to watch out for is when you're driving over very uneven surfaces and stuff on the road like roadkill. Bigger objects that both wheels go over like speed bumps were never an issue.

Another thing to be cognizant of is that any water and/or road debris kicked up by vehicles in front of you is also potentially being deflected at your brakes. I never had any issues in the few months I drove like that, but still is a possibility for stuff to happen because of it.

Mountain 05-11-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjk3888 (Post 10180811)

I think you are completely misreading my intent on why I circled the SS aero tire deflectors...

I circled them only as an indirect indication on how the SS track brake deflectors don’t extend too low as a reasoning why GM doesn’t provide them with the 1LE. I’ve heard people assume this...

I posted actual pictures of my 1LE with the SS deflectors as a follow-up, direct example of the installation.

Mountain 05-11-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha1BC (Post 10180842)
Nice! No interference with the SS 1LE brake shielding I assume? I was looking at mine the other day and thought the 1LE shield covered a little more of the rotor than the SS track shield, right? I could be wrong, though...

Who are you addressing as "you?" Mountain made both of those posts lol.

And yes the SS track ducts definitely hang lower than the 1LE ducts. The intent of the SS track duct and minimalist dust shield were to provide maximum airflow to the smaller SS brakes, so they stick down further to deflect more air. I also had an SS for a bit and drove around with the track deflectors on the street. Even though they stick down lower, I never had any clearance issues. They move with the wheels, so the only things you have to watch out for is when you're driving over very uneven surfaces and stuff on the road like roadkill. Bigger objects that both wheels go over like speed bumps were never an issue.

Another thing to be cognizant of is that any water and/or road debris kicked up by vehicles in front of you is also potentially being deflected at your brakes. I never had any issues in the few months I drove like that, but still is a possibility for stuff to happen because of it.

Exactly! And there are people starting to tax the 1LE/GM PP 6-piston kit on track. So, I figure to use their experience and optimize the factory brake cooling with factory parts. Why should I repeat, or risk repeating, what’s already been proven with you guinea pigs ;)

In respect to running them on the road, I was thinking about this, but I don’t plan to drive the 1LE in a lot of inclement weather or on gravel/dirt roads.

However, like you, I had them on my SS all the time and I DD-ed that car spring-fall without issue.

EDIT: To answer your questions:
No interference with the SS 1LE brake shielding I assume?
No, not at all. It is 100% bolt-in. No issues.

I was looking at mine the other day and thought the 1LE shield covered a little more of the rotor than the SS track shield, right?
The SS track backing plate is more open than the SS 1LE/GM PP 6-piston backing plate. The SS backing plate will, also, bolt right on without issue. I'm not going to swap to the SS backing plate unless I find I need a touch more cooling. The SS track deflectors are a very simple install and I think they will make a larger difference than going from the SS 1LE backing plate.

carguy55 05-11-2018 10:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The kit was only $15 so I thought I would try it out on track. So far just have the deflectors on

AZ_1LE 05-15-2018 12:10 AM

Interesting. Part numbers?

carguy55 05-15-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ_1LE (Post 10185123)
Interesting. Part numbers?

84145204 includes both left and right

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/auto-...cat/ducts-scat

glenB 05-15-2018 08:11 PM

IMO, the track shields look more like ball joint protectors .. designed as heat shields, not rotor shields.

On the C6 vette we found that heat from the rotors were melting the grease boots which eventually would lead to ball joint failure from heat more than dirt.

Here is an aftermarket kit designed to protect the ball joints http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...27mpdoqkevijg5

But again, just my opinion.

Mountain 05-15-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenB (Post 10186275)
IMO, the track shields look more like ball joint protectors .. designed as heat shields, not rotor shields.

On the C6 vette we found that heat from the rotors were melting the grease boots which eventually would lead to ball joint failure from heat more than dirt.

Here is an aftermarket kit designed to protect the ball joints http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...27mpdoqkevijg5

But again, just my opinion.

You are 100%, exactly right.

The point is to remove as much coverage as possible, for optimum brake cooling, yet still utilize the radiant heat protection.