CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   Hurst Billet Plus Short Throw Shifter (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567467)

geaux_tigerss 12-30-2019 09:25 AM

Hurst Billet Plus Short Throw Shifter

I installed this last Saturday. It took maybe 6 hours from pulling the car into the garage to putting away the last tool (this time includes a test drive and a few exhaust modifications that I needed to do to my header connection pipes). It was done on jack stands in my garage. The little spring pins were the toughest part. I had been holding off on this one since the install seemed like a PITA, but it honestly wasn't that bad. Definitely easier than headers.

This might be my single favorite mod to date - IMO the car should have come from the factory with this thing. The shifts are incredibly precise and mechanical feeling. There is a noticeable increase in effort, but even though I daily drive the car, I feel like it's well worth the trade off. To do over again, I would have done this mod immediately after getting the car (like first weekend). Highly recommend.

I referenced the install guide from post 14 of this thread (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=hurst). He has color photos and factory torque recommendations.

Some observations from my end: the 2 allen bolts that hold the shift lever into the housing has been replaced with hex head bolts in my 2018 (better IMO). If you have already installed headers, you may need to drop the aluminum skid plate to allow the engine and transmission to drop far enough to complete the install. I certainly had to.

MP3BOOSTED 12-30-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss (Post 10689048)
I installed this last Saturday. It took maybe 6 hours from pulling the car into the garage to putting away the last tool (this time includes a test drive and a few exhaust modifications that I needed to do to my header connection pipes). It was done on jack stands in my garage. The little spring pins were the toughest part. I had been holding off on this one since the install seemed like a PITA, but it honestly wasn't that bad. Definitely easier than headers.

This might be my single favorite mod to date - IMO the car should have come from the factory with this thing. The shifts are incredibly precise and mechanical feeling. There is a noticeable increase in effort, but even though I daily drive the car, I feel like it's well worth the trade off. To do over again, I would have done this mod immediately after getting the car (like first weekend). Highly recommend.

I referenced the install guide from post 14 of this thread (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=hurst). He has color photos and factory torque recommendations.

Some observations from my end: the 2 allen bolts that hold the shift lever into the housing has been replaced with hex head bolts in my 2018 (better IMO). If you have already installed headers, you may need to drop the aluminum skid plate to allow the engine and transmission to drop far enough to complete the install. I certainly had to.

I also just finished up my install, since my transmission and motor were both out of the car i decided to purchase the short throw now so if i did later i wouldn't have to do all of the work again, i haven't driven the car yet but i'm hoping its a big difference from the 1LE shifter.

geaux_tigerss 12-30-2019 09:30 AM

To add to this.

I had a factory hurst short throw in my fifth gen. If was great, but this new one is much better. It reminds me of the feel of the MGW shifters for the fifth gen camaros and c6 vettes.

asthmamax11 12-30-2019 02:51 PM

I've had mine for over a year and it's by far the best shifter I've had.
I got the pistol grip with HURST embroided onto it.

OVRKLL 12-30-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

So did you need to remove/loosen the motor mounts and tranny mounts?
How far does the motor and tranny need to drop?
I'm thinking of this mod, but I'm still exhausted from my header/exhaust install...:biggrin:

geaux_tigerss 12-31-2019 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVRKLL (Post 10689557)
So did you need to remove/loosen the motor mounts and tranny mounts?
How far does the motor and tranny need to drop?
I'm thinking of this mod, but I'm still exhausted from my header/exhaust install...:biggrin:

No need to loosen the motor mounts. The transmission is held up by a cross member (only 4-15mm bolts). After removing the driveshaft and exhaust, removal of the cross member allows the transmission and motor to roll back on the motor mounts. You only need to drop it around 2-1/4" to access the spring pins.

Those spring pins were a real trick though. 2 people makes it a lot easier. I had my dad use a feeler gauge to slide under the rubber grommet and engage the spring pins while I rotated them from underneath the car.

6spdhyperblue 12-31-2019 03:44 PM

Can’t wait to get this in. Maybe this weekend.

JCunningham 01-01-2020 05:08 AM

to make it shift with almost the same force as stock you can do the anti venom mod. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566492

L78toLT1 01-01-2020 09:10 AM

I guess I'm going to have to break down and do this mod. I thought about it when I installed my GForce shaft and axles a few months ago.

vtirocz 01-01-2020 10:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Good to hear you got it installed and like it. I've had mine for about a year and a half and still really like it. I got used to the increased shift effort and overall like the improved 'precision' with the new shifter. Hurst should really bring a car to Camaro Fest so people can try it out before they purchase it and see how much of an improvement it makes.

I had one question for you regarding the comment: "the 2 allen bolts that hold the shift lever into the housing has been replaced with hex head bolts in my 2018." Are you referring to these bolts in the picture below? The stock bolts had an external head design, whereas the Hurst supplied bolts were internal hex. Like I mentioned in my post, the internal hex bolts started to deform at the factory torque spec, so that's a step in the right direction if they changed it to the factory style external hex head bolts. I only see this being an issue for me if I ever needed to remove and reinstall those bolts for whatever reason. Did the external hex head bolts also have the beveled countersink feature or did they include a beveled washer? Otherwise I think they would have had to change the housing to remove the countersink bevel to accommodate the stock style bolt.

6spdhyperblue 01-01-2020 10:22 AM

Im really surprised how many of you guys including oldman talking up the hurst considering how good the base shifter is. Im looking forward to trying it

JCunningham 01-01-2020 11:45 PM

there is also a reverse spring https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Revers...53.m1438.l2649

6spdhyperblue 01-04-2020 10:22 PM

Really liking this shifter.

Edit: wish I did it sooner. It’s pretty sweet. I bought both sticks and running the oem knob right now but will change sometime in the spring to the ball.

oldman 02-01-2020 02:39 AM

Best mod ever