CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Differences 2015 LT4 SC and 2019 LT4 SC (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547794)

Drsagacity 02-08-2019 09:55 PM

Differences 2015 LT4 SC and 2019 LT4 SC

Just wondering if anyone can really outline the differences in the older LT4 Supercharger and the new 2019 model? I know the newer models have a taller lid, but what else is different?

SpaceCadet 02-09-2019 01:33 AM

the Tall Lid LT4's came with angled intercooler core bricks to 'improve' (fix Z06 overheating) cooling performance, the cores are same thickness as original LT4 cores. nothing else on supercharger casting is different.

2019 HP/Tq. rating has stayed the same, so I presume (not seeing one in person) nothing on engine/supercharger has changed, doubtful since that would cost GM $$$$$$

Drsagacity 02-09-2019 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 10432610)
the Tall Lid LT4's came with angled intercooler core bricks to 'improve' (fix Z06 overheating) cooling performance, the cores are same thickness as original LT4 cores. nothing else on supercharger casting is different.

2019 HP/Tq. rating has stayed the same, so I presume (not seeing one in person) nothing on engine/supercharger has changed, doubtful since that would cost GM $$$$$$

Can you simply change the lid from the old supercharger to the new supercharger so that you can use the shorter lid?

SpaceCadet 02-09-2019 02:13 PM

No, the angled intercoolers are to 'tall' for short lid. What are your goals?

Maybe these dimensions could help you? and or others?

https://wegnerautomotive.com/assets/...ers-Sep-18.PDF

Drsagacity 02-09-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 10432932)
No, the angled intercoolers are to 'tall' for short lid. What are your goals?

Maybe these dimensions could help you? and or others?

https://wegnerautomotive.com/assets/...ers-Sep-18.PDF

On my other LT1 car I have a good friend getting rid of his LT4 blower, pulling off a 2019 Camaro. Because of my hood, I really need the lower profile lid. I have everything I need, but basically...the new setup is going to run about 600whp on that ride and be done...it’s officially my daily driver.

oldman 02-09-2019 10:03 PM

well that hood is super cool. It is worth it.

Drsagacity 02-10-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 10433178)
well that hood is super cool. It is worth it.

It’s for my Vette, not my Camaro. My Camaro is just about perfect as is. We will finish the tune and get into the 800’s next summer so we can make a few passes.

The Vette will stay around 600whp as it’s my daily driver.

SpaceCadet 02-10-2019 04:38 PM

The Vette guys says it hits the hood? Looks like it will clear without a hood insulator. But that is directly to cylinder head, are you planning to use LT1 to LT4 adapter plates so you dont have to drill heads?

Drsagacity 02-10-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 10433621)
The Vette guys says it hits the hood? Looks like it will clear without a hood insulator. But that is directly to cylinder head, are you planning to use LT1 to LT4 adapter plates so you dont have to drill heads?

Yes. I am using the adapter plates for the install. I was really just trying to figure out the differences that cause the lid to change. . .especially since the car never changed HP ratings, etc.

SpaceCadet 02-10-2019 05:28 PM

find someone, CTSV? that wants to swap you intercoolers/lid?

Drsagacity 02-10-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 10433655)

To make the new LT4 blower work, you are saying we just swap to smaller intercoolers and the shorter lid?

toohighpsi 02-10-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 10433655)

I don't think you can swap lid/intercoolers from the earlier to the later version, I believe it is a different SC housing. (but the new lid will fit on the old housing).

Should be plenty of the early generation 1740s around, they would be fine for what your looking for.
The updated housing and lid had nothing to do with the "track overheating" issues of the Z06 (that is an engine radiator airflow problem), it simply improved an airflow distribution issue to the two rearmost cylinders on the LT4.
In reality, by the time you scrape up all of the parts to make the system work on an LT1, might be easier it just get an off the shelf system which includes belt drive, coolant lines, front radiator, etc.

ShizzySupra 02-10-2019 07:48 PM

Call your local off the shelf system distributor and have a much better system overall with warranty. :)

Drsagacity 02-10-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toohighpsi (Post 10433718)
I don't think you can swap lid/intercoolers from the earlier to the later version, I believe it is a different SC housing. (but the new lid will fit on the old housing).

Should be plenty of the early generation 1740s around, they would be fine for what your looking for.
The updated housing and lid had nothing to do with the "track overheating" issues of the Z06 (that is an engine radiator airflow problem), it simply improved an airflow distribution issue to the two rearmost cylinders on the LT4.
In reality, by the time you scrape up all of the parts to make the system work on an LT1, might be easier it just get an off the shelf system which includes belt drive, coolant lines, front radiator, etc.

That's great information. Much appreciated. Believe me, I wanted to go with an off the shelf solution. It's possible I will do that later if I decide to go any further. But since this is the daily driver, I am very restricted with how far I can go...