CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=254)
-   -   6th Gen SS Ghost Cam? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533775)

Deputy Dog 07-13-2018 12:45 PM

6th Gen SS Ghost Cam?

Is a ghost cam tune available for 6th gen Camaros like it was on the 5th gen.?

avalonandl 07-14-2018 10:39 AM

Which is the ghost cam? There is supposedly a tune the dealer can install with the GM CAI.

There is a GM performance cam but its not street legal and voids warrany

USAFS197 07-14-2018 03:32 PM

He’s talking about a tune that emulates the choppiness of an aftermarket camshaft by manipulating the VVT values at idle. It was popular on Mustangs, as well.

Deputy Dog 07-15-2018 03:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c26474CR5Eo

motorhead 07-15-2018 04:24 PM

That's as poser as putting SS emblems on your V6 or four banger. I really cant understand why someone would purposefully screw up their cars's operating efficiency to emulate something they are not. Dont cheap out. Build a real motor that does it for a reason. Your right foot and butt will thank you.

devnull 07-15-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 10250413)
That's as poser as putting SS emblems on your V6 or four banger. I really cant understand why someone would purposefully screw up their cars's operating efficiency to emulate something they are not. Dont cheap out. Build a real motor that does it for a reason. Your right foot and butt will thank you.

:thumbsup:

joeybsyc 07-18-2018 11:11 AM

I didn't know they were available on the LS3. I thought it was a V6 thing.

crosive 07-18-2018 12:09 PM

a ghost cam tune is absolutely terrible for your engine. Most places that I knew that would do this some time ago, won't do it anymore due to that.

MackSteelPrivateEye 07-18-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 10250413)

These cars come from the factory already with a real built motor that easily outperforms the oldies that idled like that. The reason the new ones don't idle like that is because they come with variable valve timing and not just a set cam like the oldies. If its poser to want to tune your car to sound like that then may as well not alter the exhaust mufflers for sound effect either. Also if I remember correctly the Ghost can had no detrimental effect of performance other than a lopey idle. GM delivers these cars from the factory for smooth idle because thats what most want. They probably could just as easily release them with a lopey idle.

Amxguy1970 07-18-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye (Post 10254228)
These cars come from the factory already with a real built motor that easily outperforms the oldies that idled like that. The reason the new ones don't idle like that is because they come with variable valve timing and not just a set cam like the oldies. If its poser to want to tune your car to sound like that then may as well not alter the exhaust mufflers for sound effect either. Also if I remember correctly the Ghost can had no detrimental effect of performance other than a lopey idle. GM delivers these cars from the factory for smooth idle because thats what most want. They probably could just as easily release them with a lopey idle.

First it doesn't come with a "real built motor" from the factory, it performs well stock and modded to a point but built it is not (for the most part out performs the oldies). Second, it wouldn't sound "cammed" with the stock cam in there regardless of tunning (go check out the stock specs), so yes tunning it to sound cammed without it being cammed is poser. They certainly could release them with a lopey idle, it would just require a cam change...

Tyler

Need4Camaro 07-18-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amxguy1970 (Post 10254555)
First it doesn't come with a "real built motor" from the factory, it performs well stock and modded to a point but built it is not (for the most part out performs the oldies). Second, it wouldn't sound "cammed" with the stock cam in there regardless of tunning (go check out the stock specs), so yes tunning it to sound cammed without it being cammed is poser. They certainly could release them with a lopey idle, it would just require a cam change...

Tyler

I dunno about that. Your average car doesnt make half of 455 HP. It may not be built it terms of aftermarket LS/LT equipment but it is definitely quite a competent machine for a factory car.

As for the sound, its not something I would do... I can't imagine what kind of internal damage you may do by misconfiguring the VVT just to get a lopey idle. I'd go for the cam route and a proper tune -- but I was also kind of guessing some may attempt this in effort to avoid voiding their warranty if they can somehow hide the flash.

MP3BOOSTED 07-18-2018 06:29 PM

cam it and call it a day dont be a mustang :noidea: , get the real sound and power your car deserves.

Casper the friendly G 01-22-2023 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED (Post 10254621)
cam it and call it a day dont be a mustang :noidea: , get the real sound and power your car deserves.

https://www.facebook.com/HeroldMotor.../?locale=ms_MY

tomster 01-22-2023 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you can do it by adjusting the Idle speed control to fight itself and constantly search for idle. It does this by rapidly advancing and retarding the timing. See the below screenshot. While you may fool a couple of people, most car guys will tell right away its fake, and others will just think something is wrong with your car.