CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Performance Data Recorder Thoughts? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597181)

Sindri 09-10-2021 07:11 PM

Performance Data Recorder Thoughts?

In Nov 2020 I bought a 1SS 1LE, no other options. I kind of wanted the PDR but for the deal I got I could live without it. Well, fast forward 8 months and I lemon law'd the car with only 1300 miles on it because my f$#%ing dealer service techs kept f#$^ing up a botched engine replacement and I was tired of dealing with their BS. I loved the car and hate the dealer.

Well Im thinking about ordering a 2022 so I can get it exactly the way I want it, and I wanted to get some feedback on the PDR. I plan on doing a little AutoX, but also like the idea of a built in dash cam (one of my other issues is Im 99% certain someone from the delaer went joy riding in my car but I have no evidence). So I am thinking I want that PDR in my next Camaro, but I'm looking for input from other owners. What do you all think? Worth it?

tomster 09-10-2021 09:03 PM

its a must if you track your car. so much great info to be had with it. its way more than a cool video overlay

JKSully 09-10-2021 09:08 PM

This thread has some detail on the valet mode you'd need to enable in order to catch a mechanic taking your car for a spin - seems it won't do it automatically.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10973939

2004YZFR1 09-10-2021 09:10 PM

What happened to your motor at only 1300 miles of you don’t mind me asking?

clyde 09-11-2021 10:20 PM

If you autocross at all, it's incredibly helpful...especially if you have co-driver.

crab 09-11-2021 11:35 PM

https://www.facebook.com/kim.greenou...6500351742630/

We love the PDR.

Sindri 09-19-2021 08:30 AM

2004YZFR1 - The engine failed at 500 miles - I think it spun a bearing, but not 100% sure, the dealership never did a full post mortem, they just pulled the oil pan and saw "a lot of metal". The new engine suffered the valve spring failure (which I specifically asked the service writer to inquire about before they put the motor in). After that I kept finding problems with the car from the shoddy quality of work - parts damaged, parts missing, exhaust leaks, etc. I ran out of patience having to take it back every few days to have some new issue fixed so I lemoned it.

Thanks to everyone else, I think I'm sold on the PDR. I found out a local dealer is getting a 2022 1SS 1LE with PDR soon, and its in the color I want. As long as they don't have some BS market adjustment I'll probably end up picking it up.

DarkKnyte 09-20-2021 11:35 PM

I have the PDR, it is nice, but it's a little irritating to use as a dash cam because you have to start the recording everytime you drive. It's definitely a little more purpose designed for track days, but it does work on the street.

infinitereality 10-06-2021 01:24 PM

PDR was one of those things I thought I could live without. I bought mine used and had it on there, so was a nice bonus. It's come in handy a few times making pulls in Mexico and when I happen to come across a Gen5 Viper SRT and few weeks later a C63S AMG

For the last year of the Camaro, I will be adding it to my order now. I can't comment on the dash cam part, like was mentioned, it seems like it would be a pain to use as such.

BrandanK 10-06-2021 02:17 PM

I have a 2021 SS 1LE. I didn't get PDR specifically because I find the audio quality to be total garbage. There seem to be better products out there that can give similar results. For example, the new Garmin Catalyst (and less expensive).

1badtie 10-06-2021 06:08 PM

2018 ZL1 I have had it for a week now and can not get the audio to work on the PDR Formatted SD card checked all the settings etc. Make sure yours works!!!

Dabjbr 10-07-2021 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandanK (Post 11080834)
I have a 2021 SS 1LE. I didn't get PDR specifically because I find the audio quality to be total garbage. There seem to be better products out there that can give similar results. For example, the new Garmin Catalyst (and less expensive).

That thing is really cool but very buggy.

I will say I wish the audio was better in the PDR but I just pick up audio from my GoPro and merge it iMovie.

CHerna 10-07-2021 08:36 AM

I was on the fence about the PDR when I was ordering my car. I ultimately decided to add it, because I felt if I regretted it later, it's not something that can easily be added after the fact. Even if I don't get to track the car as much as I intend to, it can still sort of be used as a dash cam.

1badtie 10-08-2021 07:22 PM

Finally figured out the audio on PDR and got it working. Turns out it was my Mac so I had to download a new video app and works fine now.