CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   What paint code for OEM ZL1 wheels (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540591)

Mcardenal 10-14-2018 05:49 PM

What paint code for OEM ZL1 wheels

Hello Folks,

I got a little curb rash on my front wheel. It is on the very edge of the wheel and i think i can hide it if i had a little paint. Does anyone know if there is a touch up paint that GM sells that matches the rims dark gray color?

Thank,

Artos 10-14-2018 06:22 PM

I can't help but did the same thing & posted up a pic / advice thread right here & was told to go to any quality wheel repair...searched around & there was a mobile shop set up next to one of the local Mercedes dealers & it's really difficult to spot the booger I did. Mine wasn't bad but did need a little polishing vs simply paint touch up. They mixed & matched the paint on site & was impressed how easily it all came together.

Only follow up on my end was to torque the lugs correctly.

Mcardenal 10-14-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artos (Post 10337259)
I can't help but did the same thing & posted up a pic / advice thread right here & was told to go to any quality wheel repair...searched around & there was a mobile shop set up next to one of the local Mercedes dealers & it's really difficult to spot the booger I did. Mine wasn't bad but did need a little polishing vs simply paint touch up. They mixed & matched the paint on site & was impressed how easily it all came together.

Only follow up on my end was to torque the lugs correctly.

Thanks for the quick feedback

travislambert 10-14-2018 07:20 PM

The internal color name is "After midnight". I don't believe I've ever seen a marketing name or the paint code.

Beware...some folks will tell you it's the same as the Nightfall Gray Metallic, but it's not.

1hprush 10-14-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcardenal (Post 10337237)
Hello Folks,

I got a little curb rash on my front wheel. It is on the very edge of the wheel and i think i can hide it if i had a little paint. Does anyone know if there is a touch up paint that GM sells that matches the rims dark gray color?

Thank,

As I read this...I'm glad I took the tire/wheel insurance from the dealer. Even if I curb the wheel, they will pay for the repair or replace it, just peace of mind. A wheel repair shop should be able to fix this. Good Luck!

mr965 10-15-2018 12:13 AM

Son of a gun gray Metallic

I bought the four in one touch up pen on amazon.

PN ACDelco 19330248
$16.75

mr965 10-15-2018 12:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hope this helps

travislambert 10-15-2018 05:34 AM

I'm pretty sure son of a gun gray metallic is just another name for nightfall grey metallic.

This color may be close enough, but don't call it perfect. It's not the same color.

At Camaro Fest I asked Adam Barry, the guy who designed the wheel, and he confirmed the colors are different. Unfortunately I've never been able to get the actual paint code from him.

Gunkk 10-15-2018 05:35 AM

RPO G7Q WA139X 19330248

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469783

Biscuit.fr 10-15-2018 05:37 AM

NFG

travislambert 10-15-2018 05:40 AM

Guys! It's not nightfall grey metallic.

That was some bad information posted on a thread a while back. The wheel color is different.

Call it close or good enough, but don't say it's the same.

HDRDTD 10-15-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hprush (Post 10337314)
As I read this...I'm glad I took the tire/wheel insurance from the dealer. Even if I curb the wheel, they will pay for the repair or replace it, just peace of mind. A wheel repair shop should be able to fix this. Good Luck!

You should read that insurance policy for the wheel/tire and see for yourself what's covered and what isn't.

I bought the wheel/tire insurance from my Chevy dealer when I bought my 2013 ZL1. Turns out ordinary road rash is NOT covered. I was told that as long as the rim still holds air, it's not covered. That sucks on the stock polished 2013 ZL1 wheels when they cost $1k each.

Your policy may be different, but I'd pull it out and check the coverage.

Biscuit.fr 10-15-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travislambert (Post 10337483)
Guys! It's not nightfall grey metallic.

That was some bad information posted on a thread a while back. The wheel color is different.

Call it close or good enough, but don't say it's the same.

I did one touch paint with NFG,
Absolutely no difference
It may not be that one but it works

Mark R 10-15-2018 10:06 AM

I sank my right rear wheel in a bunch of gravel on the side of the house backing out, and the stones just thrashed the spokes and rim.

A local wheel repair guy who is recommended all over town said the actual paint code is not available, so he got it close. It looked good, but not when compared to the stock wheel, so I bought another wheel.

I just knew that every time I would look at the car, I would be comparing the repaired rim to a factory rim, so I just bit the bullet. OCD is expensive!!

Mark R.
Albuquerque, NM