CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   My peiced together JRE 125 Package with Ted tunning after thoughts (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616323)

BunnyBoy 05-18-2023 10:51 AM

My peiced together JRE 125 Package with Ted tunning after thoughts

I'm going to make this thread in hopes that it helps someone else out in my shoes. I live in the Midwest so I had to do remote tuning(we will get to that later). I installed all the parts Headers, High flow cats, CAI,TB, Flex fuel Sensor, JMS voltage booster, AEM Wide band. This won't be a step by step as their are plenty of them out there but just tips and tricks that helped me.

We will start with exhaust. Headers and high flow cats were simple install. If you are going to be remote tuning you need to make sure to weld your Wideband bung in. I welded mine in the high flow cat flange BEFORE the cat. I also went ahead and purchased this exhaust sealer and used it very strategically on all the connection spots.

Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer, 3 oz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The flex fuel sensor is self explanatory install. I purchased wire loon to hide the white wire. You might want to do the same. Get small black zip ties.

The big gulp CAI gets shoe horned in there, so prepare yourself. Throttle body easy peasy.

The JMS... This thing was a pain. I'm just going to ramble here. Before you install. PUT A FUSE AS STATED ON THE WHITE WIRE, this makes it easier to take voltage readings when installing. EXTEND THE RED WIRE. I would add 12-18 inches to this wire. You can make it reach but you'll want to add wire in the end to make it work nicely. I used the not cut method found here with all the parts:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569721

Have zip ties ready for the JMS wires for under the car. Have velcro ready to keep the JMS module attached to the trunk.

Programing this thing was a MOTHER f'er. I bet I jacked with it for 2 hours trying to program it. It would not take. It wasn't till it started flipping the number 1 switch around many times and finally it started to program. I'm not sure what that was about but weird. This was easily the biggest time sink of the whole project. I still might go back and do some wire cleanup. There is a grommet on the driver side trunk to go through. I ripped mine clean off but will be replacing it with some I bought of amazon ill attach here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1DPCCS...roduct_details

AEM wideband install - This was really easy. I used a grommet from the amazon link above to go through firewall. I pulled power for the wideband with a custom harness from gen5DYI tapping into AC control module. Their harnesses they use for Radar detectors but my gosh, This was slick, Plug and play. They just added about 5 feet of extra wire to pull power to the drivers side. I high recommend anyone doing a wideband to get their harness from GEN5DYI, no cutting wires in a harness just plug and play.

Tuning by Ted - This was way simpler than I thought it would be. The hardest part was being able to get Ted the data he needed. The new found power would blow the tires off. Be prepared to do 3 or 4th gear pulls if you don't have radials to get the data he needs. Took about 6 tunes. I honestly loved the data logging and tuning part. Thank you Ted for all your help here. Highly recommend his services.

Final thoughts - The car is an monster compared to what it was. I my PS4s are going to need to be upgraded. I thought the car had new life on the 91 tune but when we got it to e55, it was a whole different car, it ran smoother as well. The car is still kinda loud in stealth mode at start idle but I'll deal with it. Cold starts are pretty crazy even with HF cats in track exhaust mode( I came from a big cammed c6 and that was 4 times what this car is sound wise). I suppose a cam is next but hoping my oil pump holds out for a few more years till i get time to do that. Anyways, the package is a nice touch to the car without getting to invasive and keep engine bay looking stockish.

Fstlane 05-18-2023 11:19 AM

Perfect! Great write up! I am also doing the exact upgrade. So thanks for the inside scoop.

ZLE dude 05-18-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstlane (Post 11317813)
Perfect! Great write up! I am also doing the exact upgrade. So thanks for the inside scoop.

FYI, there's a few of us who have posted reviews/installs of this package over the years. Here's from when I did mine back in 2020. Still running great with zero issues.

http://https://www.camaro6.com/forum...d.php?t=584862

LT4Greg 05-18-2023 05:25 PM

Ted knows what he is doing and I might get a tune from him in the future for my ZL1.

ShockingZ 05-21-2023 10:48 AM

edited

NG329 05-21-2023 11:36 AM

I bought a tune from Ted last year and for the most part the car drove nicely.

However, when I went over his file I noticed that he pulled 2* of timing out of my high octane map and the car lost some of its urgency off the corners. I never got a chance to get back to him and ask him why he did that but I ended up putting the 2* of timing back in over the range he removed it and the car jumps off the corners again.

Maybe he saw knock in one of my logs, but if that was the case then it could have resulted from either a bad batch of gas or false knock from the aftermarket headers.

In retrospect, while I do believe in logging, I think the best way to tune is to take the car in to an actual dyno session and then follow up with logging after the fact to test the tune.

RobZL1 05-21-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShockingZ (Post 11318596)
I'd debate that one. You'd be much better served by the Elite Tuned guys who really know LT4s. Ted basically puts out a canned tune. Nothing special and yes it will run.

Do you work for Mike and Branden? Lol

ShockingZ 05-21-2023 01:59 PM

edited

RobZL1 05-21-2023 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShockingZ (Post 11318654)
No just got a REAL eye opener when I got properly tuned from them after both seeing and feeling Ted's tunes vs Branden. You tell me how/why Teds tune was maxing out my high side and injectors on e30 when Branden was able to get me to E50 with headroom left(maggie 2650 at 15psi). No other changes at all. I was and still am quite surprised how black and white different the car both ran and performed at the track and on street with Branden's tune.

The proof was in the pudding (logs) and I saw it first hand. I had a mind to call up Ted and call him out, but thought better of it.

When you see and feel what I saw and felt, with your car, it will make a believer out of you as well. And seeing people pushing him on these forums is highway robbery at this point. So when I see it, I call it out. And Branden did my tune remotely as well. No dyno pulls just me logging on the street, sending them over and getting revs back. Same as Ted. So sure do what you want, but the actual best is Elite tuning school. For LT4 there is nobody better. They are the tuners that other popular tuners call for help.

Easy there fella! I'm not saying I'm a Ted supporter. In fact, he rubs me the wrong way from what I've seen of him.

I tune my own cars- that's what I want to do. Not Ted, Elite, or anyone else for that matter. I wasn't looking to pick a fight, just had noticed recently that you are VERY pro- Elite. Which is great, because those guys are great at what they do.

BunnyBoy 05-23-2023 02:53 PM

The spirit of this thread went the way of every internet thread! Thanks everyone for being humans!

RobZL1 05-23-2023 03:56 PM

Still better than facebook. Facebook in four bullet points:

1) This car is for sale! - responses: you're an idiot and it's overpriced, but has the oil pump been replaced?

2) I just bought this today! - responses: welcome to the group! has the oil pump been replaced?

3) My oil pump failed! - responses: yeah, these cars suck

4) Look at my car, it's pretty! - responses: sweet! has your oil pump ever failed?

:happy0180:

Turbo_Jet 05-23-2023 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyBoy (Post 11317807)
I'm going to make this thread in hopes that it helps someone else out in my shoes. I live in the Midwest so I had to do remote tuning(we will get to that later). I installed all the parts Headers, High flow cats, CAI,TB, Flex fuel Sensor, JMS voltage booster, AEM Wide band. This won't be a step by step as their are plenty of them out there but just tips and tricks that helped me.

We will start with exhaust. Headers and high flow cats were simple install. If you are going to be remote tuning you need to make sure to weld your Wideband bung in. I welded mine in the high flow cat flange BEFORE the cat. I also went ahead and purchased this exhaust sealer and used it very strategically on all the connection spots.

Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer, 3 oz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The flex fuel sensor is self explanatory install. I purchased wire loon to hide the white wire. You might want to do the same. Get small black zip ties.

The big gulp CAI gets shoe horned in there, so prepare yourself. Throttle body easy peasy.

The JMS... This thing was a pain. I'm just going to ramble here. Before you install. PUT A FUSE AS STATED ON THE WHITE WIRE, this makes it easier to take voltage readings when installing. EXTEND THE RED WIRE. I would add 12-18 inches to this wire. You can make it reach but you'll want to add wire in the end to make it work nicely. I used the not cut method found here with all the parts:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569721

Have zip ties ready for the JMS wires for under the car. Have velcro ready to keep the JMS module attached to the trunk.

Programing this thing was a MOTHER f'er. I bet I jacked with it for 2 hours trying to program it. It would not take. It wasn't till it started flipping the number 1 switch around many times and finally it started to program. I'm not sure what that was about but weird. This was easily the biggest time sink of the whole project. I still might go back and do some wire cleanup. There is a grommet on the driver side trunk to go through. I ripped mine clean off but will be replacing it with some I bought of amazon ill attach here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1DPCCS...roduct_details

AEM wideband install - This was really easy. I used a grommet from the amazon link above to go through firewall. I pulled power for the wideband with a custom harness from gen5DYI tapping into AC control module. Their harnesses they use for Radar detectors but my gosh, This was slick, Plug and play. They just added about 5 feet of extra wire to pull power to the drivers side. I high recommend anyone doing a wideband to get their harness from GEN5DYI, no cutting wires in a harness just plug and play.

Tuning by Ted - This was way simpler than I thought it would be. The hardest part was being able to get Ted the data he needed. The new found power would blow the tires off. Be prepared to do 3 or 4th gear pulls if you don't have radials to get the data he needs. Took about 6 tunes. I honestly loved the data logging and tuning part. Thank you Ted for all your help here. Highly recommend his services.

Final thoughts - The car is an monster compared to what it was. I my PS4s are going to need to be upgraded. I thought the car had new life on the 91 tune but when we got it to e55, it was a whole different car, it ran smoother as well. The car is still kinda loud in stealth mode at start idle but I'll deal with it. Cold starts are pretty crazy even with HF cats in track exhaust mode( I came from a big cammed c6 and that was 4 times what this car is sound wise). I suppose a cam is next but hoping my oil pump holds out for a few more years till i get time to do that. Anyways, the package is a nice touch to the car without getting to invasive and keep engine bay looking stockish.

Thank you for the write up! By any chance you have the PN of the harness you used to power the wideband?

BunnyBoy 05-23-2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo_Jet (Post 11319398)
Thank you for the write up! By any chance you have the PN of the harness you used to power the wideband?

I'm emailing them now to see what I can do to make sure you get the right part.

Turbo_Jet 06-01-2023 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyBoy (Post 11319403)
I'm emailing them now to see what I can do to make sure you get the right part.

I was able to talk with them and will send me the correct harness. Thanks again for this suggestion! :thumbup: