CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro Convertible (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=301)
-   -   Convertible Shark Fin Antenna Crooked (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483658)

Chutzpah 02-09-2017 06:08 PM

Convertible Shark Fin Antenna Crooked

Most people wouldn't notice that my shark fin antenna is crooked, but I'm super anal and it's very noticeable to me... :doh:

Does anyone know if the shark fin is just bolted and has a rubber seal or is it double side taped and bolted? If I can pop the trunk liner, loosen a retaining bolt and reposition, that would be sweet.

Xbrentx 02-09-2017 10:02 PM

shark fin

mine sure is also but in storage will take it to them in spring. keep us posted!

JeffMorse 02-09-2017 10:04 PM

A prior post said the service manager 'reached up and twisted it into place.', but I don't recall if it was specified a vert or a couple.

NY JOE 02-09-2017 11:12 PM

That was me. The service manager just twisted it and it was straight. I have a vert.

mjk3888 02-10-2017 08:00 AM

The coupe is only bolted with a single bolt. No adhesive, just a seal.

BlackbeastSS2 02-10-2017 08:11 AM

If you can twist and turn it straight, I am sure in time it can vibrate crooked again. Does not sound like a permanent fix.

Chutzpah 02-10-2017 08:37 AM

Thanks to all..I'll try and reposition by loosening the underside bolt. I did apply a small amount of pressure to twist it straight, but didn't feel confident it wouldn't crack or pinch the seal. I'll follow up on how I make out.

MANNAXMAN 02-10-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffMorse (Post 9551395)
A prior post said the service manager 'reached up and twisted it into place.', but I don't recall if it was specified a vert or a couple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY JOE (Post 9551444)
That was me. The service manager just twisted it and it was straight. I have a vert.

NY JOE posted that in the thread I created.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chutzpah (Post 9551758)
Thanks to all..I'll try and reposition by loosening the underside bolt. I did apply a small amount of pressure to twist it straight, but didn't feel confident it wouldn't crack or pinch the seal. I'll follow up on how I make out.

I haven't gotten around to trying to adjust mine yet. Definitely post your results.

nearwater 02-10-2017 03:06 PM

I guess I wasn't the only one with super picky standards.
My coupe's antenna was crooked and I just gave it enough oomph to twist it into the right position.
Worked okay for me.

Dan

Chutzpah 02-10-2017 08:02 PM

Straightened Shark Fin

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so as another member noted, the shark fins are bolted down with a seal at the base of the unit itself. The hardest part of straightening was removing the plastic retainers for the trunk trim. You'll need to replace the push pins as they do get damaged upon removal. I used a trim tool and needle nose pliers.. may be a better way, but that's how I got them out. After the trim is removed you'll now have access to the 10MM bolt near the manual trunk release. All you have to do is loosen the bolt, rotate the fin and hold tight while you snug up. It appears there's a threaded stop so you can't "reasonably" over tighten the fin. Be careful while you're tightening the bolt and watching the fin position, this is a great opportunity to scratch the deck with the socket wrench if not cognizant of it's position while the trunk is somewhat closed .

Crooked
Attachment 850526

Attachment 850527

Straight
Attachment 850528

Ssvertlife 04-20-2019 09:34 AM

Hey I know this post old but I plan on wrapping my car. Do u know if I remove the antenna to lay the vinyl down, do I have to replace the adhesive under it? Do the adhesive keep the water out trunk or is that one bolt holding it tight to keep the water out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chutzpah (Post 9552962)
OK, so as another member noted, the shark fins are bolted down with a seal at the base of the unit itself. The hardest part of straightening was removing the plastic retainers for the trunk trim. You'll need to replace the push pins as they do get damaged upon removal. I used a trim tool and needle nose pliers.. may be a better way, but that's how I got them out. After the trim is removed you'll now have access to the 10MM bolt near the manual trunk release. All you have to do is loosen the bolt, rotate the fin and hold tight while you snug up. It appears there's a threaded stop so you can't "reasonably" over tighten the fin. Be careful while you're tightening the bolt and watching the fin position, this is a great opportunity to scratch the deck with the socket wrench if not cognizant of it's position while the trunk is somewhat closed .

Crooked
Attachment 850526

Attachment 850527

Straight
Attachment 850528

Chutzpah 04-20-2019 09:39 AM

I’m almost positive there’s no adhesive, just a very flexible rubber seal that’s attached to the fin itself.