CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   MM Wild - garage/car smells like gas 'n oil - Help (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587997)

grampa_ss 02-04-2021 12:21 PM

MM Wild - garage/car smells like gas 'n oil - Help

After switching to the MM Wild setup, I've noticed my garage smells like gas/oil. Even sometimes while driving getting into boost I can smell it through the A/C vents. I never had that smell with the old sealed Mishimoto catch can setup.

I'm thinking, venting into the atmosphere may be good to relief crankcase pressure, but it sure stinks like hell. Since I'm only at maybe 10-11 psi of boost and have the LS3 front seal, I'm going to remove it.

Can the rear seal handle 10-11psi of boost?
Is there another option to vent crankcase pressure (not into the atmosphere)?

I don't do long pulls, maybe 10 secs at a time.

thanks in advance

Omega 02-04-2021 12:47 PM

I use the MM vented setup and noticed the same thing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Joshinator99 02-04-2021 12:48 PM

That doesn't sound right. I've got the MM Wild and have no fumes at all. I believe it's only supposed to vent under positive crankcase pressure. Perhaps you have a defective check valve in the can? I'd reach out to MM.

grampa_ss 02-04-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 10949917)
That doesn't sound right. I've got the MM Wild and have no fumes at all. I believe it's only supposed to vent under positive crankcase pressure. Perhaps you have a defective check valve in the can? I'd reach out to MM.

There's no check valve on the side from the valve cover to the can. So the fumes have a straight shot from the valve cover into the can and then out the breather on top of the can. Right?

Puddin 02-04-2021 01:07 PM

I too have noticed that smell.

ramairroughneck 02-04-2021 05:46 PM

I’m gonna buy his 12 AN top and run a hose out of the compartment. It’s is absolutely horrible when driving with the windows up.

Joshinator99 02-04-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grampa_ss (Post 10949920)
There's no check valve on the side from the valve cover to the can. So the fumes have a straight shot from the valve cover into the can and then out the breather on top of the can. Right?

Hmmm, I distinctly remember messing with the can before installing it. I believe the only time the breather functioned was if the suction hose saw positive pressure.

I went out of my way to have this discussion with MM before I bought it since my engine bay is immaculate, and have a white supercharger to boot. He assured me it wouldn’t make a mess and to date he’s been 100% right.

Seems silly to ask, but you’re sure it’s hooked up right?

grampa_ss 02-04-2021 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I routed it this way: Thanks to Dysan911.
Yeah so using the photo as an example. Cap the lower valley port off and then connect the upper hose like it's shown in the photo. Instead of it going into the valley port It will connect to the one side of the MMS Catch can that has the built in PCV (checkvalve) on it. The other side of the can will connect to the adapter that replaces your Oil cap.

Intake--->ProchargerHexManifold---->MMSCatchCan_PCV--->ValveCoverOilCap_Adapter.

grampa_ss 02-04-2021 07:19 PM

I just went and looked at it again. I pulled off the breather and looked up into it.
There a round black piece of rubber that seems to float and acts as a seal if under vacuum and will be pushed up to allow venting if under boost.

I smelled the catch can when I took off the breather. That's exactly what I smell in my garage and in my car when gunnin' it. You definitely need to make sure you press the breather on all the way 'till it clicks.

That being said.....still....when under boost, it's going to vent into the engine bay and you're going to smell it.

Question is...can we route/vent this back into the engine somewhere? I think Elite Engineerings E2 can does this.

Dagstar 02-04-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grampa_ss (Post 10950184)
Question is...can we route/vent this back into the engine somewhere? I think Elite Engineerings E2 can does this.

Pretty sure MM offers an option that replaces the breather with a barb so it can be routed back in. I forget if the top is removable so it might require a new can altogether.

95 imp 02-04-2021 10:55 PM

Why not hook a hose (steel braid?) to the top of the can, run it down by the tranny and pop the filter in the end?

All the fumes will blow under the car as your cruising. Might still have the smell in the garage though.

grampa_ss 02-04-2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Karl (Post 10950282)
I'm not sure if you have the same problem as me, but I have a 2018 ZL1 with full bolt-ons and added the MM wild catch-can during the summer. When I brought home the car and started it in the driveway or garage, smoke came out of the exhaust and smelled like burning oil/gas. I would begin to drive down the street, and the car was still smoking, and the smell was terrible. This lasted 1-week straight every time I started the car. I had to stop driving the car and take it back to my shop. The catch-can was filling up with so much oil that it would fill up a plastic bottle halfway just by driving a few miles. My shop had the MM catch-can connected right and even tried a different way to connect it, but it still smoked. I ended up taking off the catch can and returning it. I believe the catch-can was defective, but I don't run a catch-can anymore.

Sorry man. It sucks when sh1t doesn't work. I'm not having that problem. I get a very small amount of fluid in the can. Smells like gas. It drives fine, no smells, that is until I get into boost, then it starts stinking.

grampa_ss 02-04-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10950299)
Why not hook a hose (steel braid?) to the top of the can, run it down by the tranny and pop the filter in the end?

All the fumes will blow under the car as your cruising. Might still have the smell in the garage though.

Exactly. This is an option though. Thanks

swisstyphoon 02-05-2021 03:18 AM

I routed mine to the air filter.
Check out my video:
https://youtu.be/2hdm8i2Huck