CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   AWE exhaust and header set up (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546657)

oneredry 01-21-2019 01:42 PM

AWE exhaust and header set up

I'm flirting with the idea of replacing my NPP with the AWE (either non or resonated) exhaust system. While I'm at it, I'm most likely going to do a header set up as well. and yet another re-tune... In the mean time, my first preference would have been the TSP 2" headers but the infamous bolt/button issue.
Anyone do a AWE combo with headers? weather it be kooks or Texas speed? I'm certain it will NOT bold right up, but if I were to keep my factory headers, the AWE would infact bold right up. thoughts are much appreciated.
P.S. I now have the quickjack 7000 lift so I plan on doing it myself. if welding is involved, that may change things.

Umbriel 01-21-2019 01:45 PM

I just got this exact set up done on mine, Texas Speed 2 inch headers into the AWE resonated Touring catback. Sounds absolutely incredible.

oneredry 01-21-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umbriel (Post 10416549)
I just got this exact set up done on mine, Texas Speed 2 inch headers into the AWE resonated Touring catback. Sounds absolutely incredible.

awesome!
- how was the installation?
- assuming there was cutting involved?
- did they fix the "touching" button on the steering shaft?
- did you end up re-tuning?
sorry for the questions, but when dropping this much coin on exhaust want to be certain.

Umbriel 01-21-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneredry (Post 10416557)
awesome!
- how was the installation?
- assuming there was cutting involved?
- did they fix the "touching" button on the steering shaft?
- did you end up re-tuning?
sorry for the questions, but when dropping this much coin on exhaust want to be certain.

I understand about the questions don't worry at all.

There was cutting involved and welding. Not saying it had to be welded but I had a shop do it and that is how they did it.

The button on the lower part of the steering shaft just barely nicks the primary on right turns and only under certain throttle percentages. We took a dremel and ground the corners smooth on it and it seems to have fixed the issue.

My car was already tuned before this so I haven't retuned but if you have an A8 it will set off the check engine light for the AFM valves and if you have NPP for those as well.

Puddin 01-21-2019 02:59 PM

I have the 2in TSP headers as well and not only will the bottom bolt on the steering shaft have to be replaced but you may have to dimple one of the primaries on the drivers side because it will rub the center of the steering shaft.

USAFS197 01-21-2019 06:51 PM

I have Kooks 2” headers and the AWE Touring catback without the resonators. My piping coming from the headers had to be extended about 1-2” to match up with the AWE exhaust.

6spdhyperblue 01-21-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddin (Post 10416657)
I have the 2in TSP headers as well and not only will the bottom bolt on the steering shaft have to be replaced but you may have to dimple one of the primaries on the drivers side because it will rub the center of the steering shaft.

Yup. IMO not a big deal because the drivers side is cake to take in and out. Two rounds and no rubbing and the dimples aren’t noticeable. Should ceramic coat them if they come out again

oneredry 01-22-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAFS197 (Post 10416865)
I have Kooks 2” headers and the AWE Touring catback without the resonators. My piping coming from the headers had to be extended about 1-2” to match up with the AWE exhaust.

sweet. so if you had the cats from Kooks, do you think that you would have needed to make up the exention? guessing you had someone do the work for you?
how does it sound vs the NPP?
I don't want nothing obnoxious, but a little more deeper/muscle would be good.

Umbriel 01-22-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddin (Post 10416657)

I didn't have to dent the primary because of the steering shaft but i have the new version so maybe that is why. My bottom button that sticks out was barely nicking the primary every once in a while but that was it with mine.

oneredry 01-22-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umbriel (Post 10417301)
I didn't have to dent the primary because of the steering shaft but i have the new version so maybe that is why. My bottom button that sticks out was barely nicking the primary every once in a while but that was it with mine.

I would think that the head from the headers would cause the shaft to warp? eventually no? or at least degrade the strength in the shaft. being that close. I know that you now have to boot up your plug wires because of that. Unless coating your headers will help with this.

USAFS197 01-22-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneredry (Post 10417238)
sweet. so if you had the cats from Kooks, do you think that you would have needed to make up the exention? guessing you had someone do the work for you?
how does it sound vs the NPP?
I don't want nothing obnoxious, but a little more deeper/muscle would be good.

Yeah. It had to be cut and welded but, I don’t think it would have mattered if it was the catted or catless version. I’m confident that the piping is the same length regardless. Either way, it’s loud, really, really loud but, I think it has a great tone. I think if I had a catted version and the resonators from AWE, it would sound fantastic still. It’s something you’d have to appreciate in person.

Umbriel 01-22-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAFS197 (Post 10417342)
Yeah. It had to be cut and welded but, I don’t think it would have mattered if it was the catted or catless version. I’m confident that the piping is the same length regardless. Either way, it’s loud, really, really loud but, I think it has a great tone. I think if I had a catted version and the resonators from AWE, it would sound fantastic still. It’s something you’d have to appreciate in person.

I posted a video of mine with the resonators, it is still really loud on a cold start but once it settles down it isn't bad at all.

BRLeal80 07-25-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAFS197 (Post 10417342)

https://youtu.be/JPf3Db-8kHE

Is this your car on youtube? If so, your video was the deciding factor on why I chose to go with AWE Catback, just love the way it sounds with LT headers. :thumbup:

AlphaCamaro7 08-02-2019 05:48 AM

can we get exhaust clips please. that be great.