CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   hood insert (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602949)

55chev 03-03-2022 01:41 PM

hood insert

Anyone had the carbon fibre hood insert out,tried removing mine but it seems like its either bonded or glued in?

Mark R 03-03-2022 02:14 PM

It has double sided tape on the rear edges. You have to peel it back carefully

PROMETHEUS 03-03-2022 09:25 PM

There is also 3 clips on the side closest to the Windshield, along with the double-sided spongy tape. Left/Right and middle. When I reinstalled, I replaced the double-sided tape, but did not pull the covering off of the side that rests against the insert. Makes it easier to remove again, if you have too. IMHO the clips will hold the insert in place. I think GM used the tape as a cushion, rather than an adhesive. I would suggest not to try and remove this in the cold weather, the clips are plastic and could become very brittle.

Here is a link to some great pics of the clips and spongy tape. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...+center+insert

EDFHOBBIES 03-04-2022 05:52 AM

heat gun helps a lot w the tape.

george 03-04-2022 09:49 AM

Use fishing line and slowly run it behind the hood scope. That will help separate it without body damage. Wear good gloves so that the line does cut your fingers.

55chev 03-04-2022 10:51 AM

Thanks for the detailed info guys,perfect!, i know this may sound odd,but the reason for removal,is it just looks black to me,cant really tell its carbon fibre,so im gonna wrap it in 3M Di Noc carbon black wrap.so it actually looks like it should in my opinion.thoughts?

ZED SLED 03-04-2022 11:31 AM

They are all carbon fiber. So you'll be wrapping a carbon fiber piece. They are separated as to be exposed and to be painted after manufacture. The exposed are hand selected to have the most perfect straightest weave then clear coated. These are the ones installed as a $600 option. The not so perfect ones are painted and installed as std equipment. Same process they did on the 5th gens

55chev 03-04-2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 11141553)
They are all carbon fiber. So you'll be wrapping a carbon fiber piece. They are separated as to be exposed and to be painted after manufacture. The exposed are hand selected to have the most perfect straightest weave then clear coated. These are the ones installed as a $600 option. The not so perfect ones are painted and installed as std equipment. Same process they did on the 5th gens

arr i see :confused0068::thumbup:

SteveV 03-05-2022 06:48 PM

Interested to see how well the wrap goes. Can you post pics when you are done?

I too have the black painted insert and wish it were exposed carbon.

The weird thing is that I didn't order my ZL1, I bought it off a dealer lot and it came with the carbon fiber dash on the passenger side. Seems stupid to me that the dealer ordered the optional CF dash, but didn't get the exposed CF hood insert to match.

55chev 03-06-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 11142141)

The weird thing is that I didn't order my ZL1, I bought it off a dealer lot and it came with the carbon fiber dash on the passenger side. Seems stupid to me that the dealer ordered the optional CF dash, but didn't get the exposed CF hood insert to match.

I will do that!

55chev 03-15-2022 01:20 PM

6 Attachment(s)
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1647368169
Well pleased with the result. Best to use a 3m 1080 or 2080 carbon wrap.

55chev 03-16-2022 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 11142141)

^^^^^

KaMaRow 03-16-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55chev (Post 11141529)
Thanks for the detailed info guys,perfect!, i know this may sound odd,but the reason for removal,is it just looks black to me,cant really tell its carbon fibre,so im gonna wrap it in 3M Di Noc carbon black wrap.so it actually looks like it should in my opinion.thoughts?

just asking but could we see a pic of your hood before? IM getting the carbon fiber hood and from what i saw on internet they do not look anything like black. maybe i missed something was your hood just the carbon flash black? because that is basically just black paint. or was it the actually carbon weave? just trying to understand in my own head here. cause now im thinking my carbon hood will look black LOL

KaMaRow 03-16-2022 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 11141553)

wait they are? you sure? I mean technically we could sand our insert down clear coat it and have a carbon hood? i would also like to add WFT Chevy... charging us for something that is already going on the car anyway but you just didint paint it black. wouldn't painting it black and then clear coating it actually be more work for the one that is included free? They dont paint it and charge 600 more... lol