CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   holding left paddle (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570115)

crosive 02-14-2020 07:04 AM

holding left paddle

I'm sure most know this will downshift the a10 to the most viable gear.

however, are there things that would prevent this? the last few times I've tried it, in sport or track, manual mode, the car just wouldn't do it.

the only thing that stands out to me, is the tires are "cool" according to the display. proper tire pressure, car is warmed up, no cruise control. I'm stumped as to why it won't do it.

I've not checked for stored codes, but the car has never thrown one up that I've seen

Gunkk 02-14-2020 09:21 AM

The car has to be in M (manumatic), not D (full auto).

TWG1 02-14-2020 09:51 AM

I’ve found that a quick tap (downshifts -1, and brings you to M mode temporarily), followed by a hold will get you the max downshift. Think “single tap-hold”.

That said, I really haven’t found a use for this Easter egg. RPMs are so high it doesn’t give me much room for a run, and engine breaking so heavy I’m likely on the brakes anyway.

That said, I use the floor tap to PSM ALL THE TIME though. That’s a great feature for me, both in decel for an off ramp, or prep to accelerate (onramp, etc)

crosive 02-14-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 10724001)
The car has to be in M (manumatic), not D (full auto).

Still didn't work in manual mode

crosive 02-14-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWG1 (Post 10724025)
I’ve found that a quick tap (downshifts -1, and brings you to M mode temporarily), followed by a hold will get you the max downshift. Think “double tap-hold”.

That said, I really haven’t found a use for this Easter egg. RPMs are so high it doesn’t give me much room for a run, and engine breaking so heavy I’m likely on the brakes anyway.

That said, I use the floor tap to PSM ALL THE TIME though. That’s a great feature for me, both in decel for an off ramp, or prep to accelerate (onramp, etc)

I tried that inadvertently. Holding didn't shift all the way, just 1 gear, but holding again right after just gave another gear.

joe944 02-14-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWG1 (Post 10724025)

I'm guilty of using this a lot. I haven't done the paddle hold since I first got the car, but I'll use the floor tap for PSM for decel in traffic sometimes. :D

mlee 02-14-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosive (Post 10723882)
I'm sure most know this will downshift the a10 to the most viable gear.

however, are there things that would prevent this? the last few times I've tried it, in sport or track, manual mode, the car just wouldn't do it.

the only thing that stands out to me, is the tires are "cool" according to the display. proper tire pressure, car is warmed up, no cruise control. I'm stumped as to why it won't do it.

I've not checked for stored codes, but the car has never thrown one up that I've seen

The issue you are having is your foot is still on the accelerator.

Even the slightest little bit will cause it not to activate.

One thing I used to do was use the accelerator to activate... I would hold the left paddle down and then release the gas pedal when I was ready. It would drop from 10th gear to 3rd at 80 mph

As mentioned you are so close to redline at this point that once you go WOT you have to be ready to shift very quick or slap the shifter quickly back to auto and keep going. Definitely takes a lot of practice and you can screw up a good roll run pretty quick with this method.

crosive 02-14-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10724242)

One thing I used to do was use the accelerator to activate... I would hold the left paddle down and then release the gas pedal when I was ready. It would drop from 10th gear to 3rd at 80 mph

As mentioned you are so close to redline at this point that once you go WOT you have to be ready to shift very quick or slap the shifter quickly back to auto and keep going. Definitely takes a lot of practice and you can screw up a good roll run pretty quick with this method.

Ok. This makes sense. I didn't know you couldn't do it while "cruising".

I was trying to maintain speed since obviously going from 10-3 will drop speed quick.

arpad_m 02-14-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10724242)

So that's why simply holding it down it wasn't working for me either. I could, however, downshift once (to activate M mode) and then hold down the paddle for the lowest gear downshift even while keeping the accelerator steady.

I will definitely try this "activation trick" once she comes out of hibernation, just to see if it is more usable on the A8, thanks mlee :thumbsup:

URBAN LEGEND 02-14-2020 06:24 PM

On my 19 A10 in manual mode all I do is hold the left paddle and it downshifts to be lowest gear under decel and braking.

mlee 02-14-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND (Post 10724434)
On my 19 A10 in manual mode all I do is hold the left paddle and it downshifts to be lowest gear under decel and braking.

The way it should work...:thumb:

The magazine reviews early on wrote about this feature being buggy and only worked once in a while. The gas pedal was their issue too.

collinms 02-15-2020 09:19 AM

Have to be off the gas while holding.

mlee 02-15-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collinms (Post 10724736)
Have to be off the gas while holding.

You can actually be on the gas while holding but as soon as you get off the gas it will activate.

arpad_m 02-15-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10725072)
You can actually be on the gas while holding but as soon as you get off the gas it will activate.

mlee, how did you find out about this? Did you experiment or is this behavior documented somewhere?