CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Top corner of rear bumper not flush to fender (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529392)

ScottMZ3 05-20-2018 11:38 AM

Top corner of rear bumper not flush to fender

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone else have this issue? Tired searching forum and didn’t come up any hits. Both sides are like this. Any easy fix? Or am I looking at having to remove the whole cover to fix. The car has not been bumped or rear-ended.

Not sure why photos are rotated.

ScottMZ3 05-20-2018 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok that’s weird. Those pics were from yesterday after I had returned from driving the car awhile. Just went out this morning to look again and now they are flush! WTF? Heat related or something???

TMS 05-20-2018 12:18 PM

Very interesting. A buddy has a 2018 ZL1 1LE and he reports the same thing, identical to your experience. I have the same car and never this issue. We live in the same area so the weather is virtually the same. Mine is HBM and his is black (dark like yours). Maybe it is a heat thing like you suggest and the dark colors are more problematic because of the heat absorbtion.

I noticed you are in Roseville and in our backyard. It will be interesting to see if the problem becomes more pronounced as the summer months roll on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

devnull 05-20-2018 12:21 PM

My ZL1 1LE (White) has the same issue. Was going to pop the tail light out of it and see if there is a way to pull it in. Will let you know.

Sooner Cole 05-20-2018 12:39 PM

same issue here

ScottMZ3 05-20-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMS (Post 10191534)
Very interesting. A buddy has a 2018 ZL1 1LE and he reports the same thing, identical to your experience. I have the same car and never this issue. We live in the same area so the weather is virtually the same. Mine is HBM and his is black (dark like yours). Maybe it is a heat thing like you suggest and the dark colors are more problematic because of the heat absorbtion.

I noticed you are in Roseville and in our backyard. It will be interesting to see if the problem becomes more pronounced as the summer months roll on.

Definitely strange! But it must be expansion of the plastics in the heat. Glad there is another ZL1 in the area. I've still only seen 2 in the area since the ZL1 came out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 10191536)
My ZL1 1LE (White) has the same issue. Was going to pop the tail light out of it and see if there is a way to pull it in. Will let you know.

Keep us posted! Seems like I'm definitely not alone with the issue.

waterman 05-20-2018 01:23 PM

Following :popcorn:

URBAN LEGEND 05-20-2018 04:47 PM

I got it bad on drivers side. A little on passenger side. Whatever. It’s still runs hard.

devnull 05-20-2018 05:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 (Post 10191551)
Keep us posted! Seems like I'm definitely not alone with the issue.

Folks,

I was able to correct this pretty easily (took 15 minutes using a couple of tie wraps). If needed, I will post a full writeup on how to remove the tail light but for the below just assume you have it off already (it is easy). If you search online there a ton of youtube videos on it since many of the SS guys (myself included) swapped out our red tail lights for these awesome 1LE ones!

Here is a before pic of the badly misaligned bumper. Ouch!

Remove the tail light and you will see that just under it are the tabs that the rear bumper hang on. These tabs do not hold the bumper tight enough, so we are going to help it a little.

Use a couple of tie wraps on the inside edge of the tabs and pull tightly while someone holds the bumper into the right alignment spot. Those tie wraps will pull the bumper into place and hold it into the right spot. (see below)

Put the sucker back together and behold your properly aligned bumper for your very expensive Camaro!

:thumbsup:

ScottMZ3 05-20-2018 07:04 PM

Awesome!!! Thank you for posting this!! I’ll give this a try.

DangerZL1 05-20-2018 07:15 PM

Wow! Great idea. This should be a sticky.

speedraider 05-20-2018 09:16 PM

Take that Bitch straight to the dealer, that would have made me sick.

devnull 05-20-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 10191973)

I agree, but hate to let someone else do these type things before I give it a shot first. This one seems pretty simple so far.. :thumbsup:

URBAN LEGEND 05-21-2018 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 10191973)

Dealer will find a way to ass drag their butts on your seats and create more issues elsewhere.