CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   1LE Wing Removal - Dents/Deformation (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607439)

rlarsen462 07-13-2022 11:32 AM

1LE Wing Removal - Dents/Deformation

2 Attachment(s)
So my the replacement wing for my car (original was damaged in transport) finally arrived so I needed to remove the original.

In doing so I believe I must have rocked the wing (I didn't think I was being particularly aggressive with it) while heat gunning the adhesive to release it under the stanchions.

Any thoughts on how I could fix this (see photos)? It's basically the same on both the outboard sides and a little less on the center.

pauly1119 07-13-2022 12:59 PM

Damn that sucks. Maybe try a dent repair guy but it might be tough to get that line straight. Worth a try. If not I would just buy a new trunk lid and have it painted.

MatthewAMEL 07-13-2022 01:07 PM

Should be pretty easy for a PDR.

Those holes are in good proximity to the bends.

ZLRob 07-13-2022 01:40 PM

Why are you concerned about the holes if a spoiler goes over it? I'm not asking out of smartassery I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

rlarsen462 07-13-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZLRob (Post 11199618)
Why are you concerned about the holes if a spoiler goes over it? I'm not asking out of smartassery I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

It's not the holes I'm worried about, those are for the wing, it's the deformation behind the holes that I caused removing the wing, it will cause a gap at the back of the stanchions if I don't have it repaired first.

Quoted $500 for a well reviewed and reputable local PDR outfit to repair, sucks but it is what it is...

rlarsen462 07-13-2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauly1119 (Post 11199563)
Damn that sucks. Maybe try a dent repair guy but it might be tough to get that line straight. Worth a try. If not I would just buy a new trunk lid and have it painted.

This will be my fallback...does anyone have the part # for the trunk deck with the correct ZLE wing hole spacing predrilled (or do those always have to be drilled after the fact?)?

LT4Greg 07-13-2022 03:39 PM

I would try the PDR method first before buying a new trunk lid.

pauly1119 07-13-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarsen462 (Post 11199714)
This will be my fallback...does anyone have the part # for the trunk deck with the correct ZLE wing hole spacing predrilled (or do those always have to be drilled after the fact?)?

I would think a 1LE lid would come with the holes already in place. Check eBay sometimes you can get lucky and find one the same color. I did that with a SUV last year, found a fender the same factory color and just bolted it on.

Dan82679 07-13-2022 05:55 PM

PDR guy will fix that in a few minutes.

DylansZLE 07-15-2022 09:57 AM

I would be willing to bet that happened when the wing was damaged and the supports hid the dents. When I damaged mine earlier this year that happened if you recall the pictures I posted, but mine were more severe.

Wuiquen 07-15-2022 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylansZLE (Post 11200567)
I would be willing to bet that happened when the wing was damaged and the supports hid the dents. When I damaged mine earlier this year that happened if you recall the pictures I posted, but mine were more severe.

I would have to agree with this. No way OP did the dents by simply rocking it back and forth for removal.. If thats the case, the trunk would not be able to stand the downforce regenerated at high speeds.

rlarsen462 07-15-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylansZLE (Post 11200567)

Yeah, dang that's a good point, didn't really think about that and didn't notice or register with me at least when I was detailing the car but it was probably there on delivery...for obvious reasons I was much more fixated on the damage to the $6K wing lol.

Either way, the shipper did replace the wing with new factory unit (how the hell he got one is a mystery but it did take 5 months), and actually is covering the PDR costs as well even though I told him it was probably my fault, as I thought it was at the time.

I guess we will know Tuesday if it comes out all right and I can mount the new wing.