CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro Convertible (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=301)
-   -   Dealer figured out the rattle problem (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478741)

classicrockr 12-30-2016 04:33 PM

Dealer figured out the rattle problem

A couple months ago I started getting a rattle in the passenger rear trunk area. Initially it was only when the top was up, then progressed to be continuous whenever I was on anything but the smooth roads.

Dealer thought it was the suspension, but figured out that it wasn't. They said it was from a latching mechanism that held the trunk piece in place.

I pick the car back up on Tuesday. I'll post the work order with the official diagnosis.

CyberGuyPR 12-30-2016 04:46 PM

Interesting. I was trying to figure it out bu haven't used my card since it started snowing. I'm wondering if it involves changing something or just moving/rerouting/tightening stuff.

classicrockr 12-30-2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR (Post 9479264)
Interesting. I was trying to figure it out bu haven't used my card since it started snowing. I'm wondering if it involves changing something or just moving/rerouting/tightening stuff.

They told me it was just a matter of lubricating & tightening something.

So far this has been the only issue. My 2012 had major top issues and I got $2700 & 60,000 extended top warranty from GM to keep from returning it under lemon law. And even with the extended warranty, I still had top issues. I traded up just before that warranty expired.

Biggdummy 12-31-2016 03:28 PM

I have what sounds like the same rattle.I know its nothing serious,but it will drive me crazy if i don't find it.

classicrockr 12-31-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggdummy (Post 9480537)
I have what sounds like the same rattle.I know its nothing serious,but it will drive me crazy if i don't find it.

I will have an exact answer for you Tuesday!

Biggdummy 01-01-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicrockr (Post 9480599)
I will have an exact answer for you Tuesday!

Thanks !!!

Mr_Finer_Things 01-02-2017 04:59 AM

So happy to hear this isn't on just mine and there's a fix.

Chutzpah 01-02-2017 10:54 AM

I have the same rattle

Hopefully the rattles are easy to fix... they're pretty annoying with the top up.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue with either window hitting the convertible top when you open the door? My windows index on opening but not fast enough to stop the rub. To counteract this, I end up pulling the handle gently and holding the door so it doesn't open, wait for the glass to drop and clear the ragtop, pull the door open.

These issues aren't deal breakers, I'll be driving with the top down 90% of the time. Although, I'd love to hear about simple solutions...if there available. Thanks!

mekirk2 01-02-2017 05:32 PM

:pop2:

classicrockr 01-03-2017 02:15 PM

Well, the "latching mechanism" that holds the trunk deck in place is supposedly the problem. Mechanic said it is lubricated to keep it from vibrating on the bolt it's latched onto. He doesn't like the design of it.

After 4 miles, it started rattling again so I took it back. Service manager said he will now contact GM and they will basically walk him through possible solutions. He said GM HQ wont talk with him unless the car is in front of him.

Here we go again...

CyberGuyPR 01-03-2017 02:29 PM

Oh boy! I got excited way too early. I took my car for a ride this weekend and heard the noise for 2-3 minutes out of the 1 hour trip. Very hard to pinpoint.

LStick 01-03-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicrockr (Post 9485109)
Well, the "latching mechanism" that holds the trunk deck in place is supposedly the problem. Mechanic said it is lubricated to keep it from vibrating on the bolt it's latched onto. He doesn't like the design of it.

After 4 miles, it started rattling again so I took it back. Service manager said he will now contact GM and they will basically walk him through possible solutions. He said GM HQ wont talk with him unless the car is in front of him.

Here we go again...

Had a rear door on a new Sierra extended cab rattling because of a bad machining job on the striker/latch mechanism.
Service advisor said there was nothing that could be done.

My ball peen hammer did the trick when I got back home from the dealer.

classicrockr 01-04-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR (Post 9485143)
Oh boy! I got excited way too early. I took my car for a ride this weekend and heard the noise for 2-3 minutes out of the 1 hour trip. Very hard to pinpoint.

It IS hard to pinpoint. And once you're on smooth roads or going above about 45 mph, I can't hear it on mine anymore. Anything below 45 though & I hear it with EVERY little variation in the road's surface.

diirk 01-04-2017 07:28 AM

Have them check the upper shock mounting bolts. It took a week and the service manager walking along side my car on the crappiest road we could find to narrow it down. Turned out the upper shock mounting bolts were not tight enough. They are accessed from the wheel well behind the liner. I think there's 2 or 3 bolts.