CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Best Fluid for TR-6060 in 2020 ZL1 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580048)

HavocZL1 08-12-2020 07:26 AM

Best Fluid for TR-6060 in 2020 ZL1

Struggling here - Tremec HP Fluid, Royal Purple Synchromax, or something else? Not for track - just aggressive street driving. Would LOVE some clarity on this! Thanks.

zx9rmal 08-12-2020 08:09 AM

I used Royal Purple because it seemed like most people were recommending it because it made a very noticeable difference in shifting. Not much of a difference in my car.

hammerdahn 08-12-2020 08:20 AM

I've been using AMSOIL ATF for the past 4k miles. It improved notchiness and ease of shifting.

ZLE dude 08-12-2020 08:29 AM

I'm planning to put RP Synchromax in mine in a few weeks. I'll report back if it improves the 1-2 notchiness as I've heard that it helps with this. We shall see.

HavocZL1 08-12-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx9rmal (Post 10846798)
I used Royal Purple because it seemed like most people were recommending it because it made a very noticeable difference in shifting. Not much of a difference in my car.

That’s what I’ve been hearing as well. Just wanted to make absolutely sure it’s meant for the TR-6060 in our cars...

MartinLe 08-12-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerdahn (Post 10846804)
I've been using AMSOIL ATF for the past 4k miles. It improved notchiness and ease of shifting.

ATF in a manual? I've seen this before on Amsoil's website. Confusing, isn't it?:noidea:

UnknownJinX 08-12-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinLe (Post 10846984)
ATF in a manual? I've seen this before on Amsoil's website. Confusing, isn't it?:noidea:

TR-6060 uses Dexron III fluid which is an old ATF standard. GM's manual trans fluid for TR-6060 is just renamed Dexron III ATF.

Make sure you get the Amsoil Signature Multi ATF and double check the standards(compatible with Dexron III) on the bottle. I have it in my trans right now and it works pretty well.

MartinLe 08-12-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 10847004)
TR-6060 uses Dexron III fluid which is an old ATF standard. GM's manual trans fluid for TR-6060 is just renamed Dexron III ATF.

Make sure you get the Amsoil Signature Multi ATF and double check the standards(compatible with Dexron III) on the bottle. I have it in my trans right now and it works pretty well.

Thank you.

mikem2104 08-12-2020 01:42 PM

honestly i had swapped mine out to both Royal Purple and Redline. honestly the best turned out to be FRESH OEM.

travislambert 08-12-2020 03:02 PM

For street driving why not stick with the stock fluid? Other than a stubborn cold shift every once in a while, it's actually pretty darn good.

I never had an issue with the stock fluid until I learned to really push the limit of the car on the track. I then found myself having to wait on the synchronizers during downshifts. Changing the fluid would fix the problem for a couple of hours of track use, then I would start noticing more and more delay on downshifts again.

I switched to the Tremec brand fluid at the beginning of this year and it has been perfect ever since.

HavocZL1 08-12-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 10847004)

What are your thoughts on the Royal Purple Synchromax? So bizarre that you can use ATF in a manual...

HavocZL1 08-12-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travislambert (Post 10847140)
For street driving why not stick with the stock fluid? Other than a stubborn cold shift every once in a while, it's actually pretty darn good.

I never had an issue with the stock fluid until I learned to really push the limit of the car on the track. I then found myself having to wait on the synchronizers during downshifts. I changed the fluid which would fix the problem for a couple of hours of track use, then I would start noticing more and more delay on downshifts again.

I switched to the Tremec brand fluid at the beginning of this year and it has been perfect ever since.

That was my thought - Wouldn't tremec brand MTF be the best for a Tremec transmission?

travislambert 08-12-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HavocZL1 (Post 10847239)
That was my thought - Wouldn't tremec brand MTF be the best for a Tremec transmission?

That was my logic. Other fluids may work great, but I figured there is always a chance of an incompatibility with a chemical and a material inside the transmission causing premature wear. With OEM fluid and fluid direct from the transmission manufacturer I feel like that risk is minimized.

Since the OEM fluid was falling a little short, the natural choice for me was to try the Tremec fluid. So far, I couldn't be happier.

HavocZL1 08-12-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travislambert (Post 10847244)
That was my logic. Other fluids may work great, but I figured there is always a chance of an incompatibility with a chemical and a material inside the transmission causing premature wear. With OEM fluid and fluid direct from the transmission manufacturer I feel like that risk is minimized.

Since the OEM fluid was falling a little short, the natural choice for me was to try the Tremec fluid. So far, I couldn't be happier.

Cool - what was it that you used? Tremec HP? I feel like that's the safest way to go.