CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   upgrading SS to ZL1 supercharger (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581295)

avarshav 09-05-2020 01:15 PM

upgrading SS to ZL1 supercharger

ok, so I have a 2020 SS 1LE with a 6pd manual.

I have a good buddy who is in the process as we speak of upgrading his new 2020 ZL1 (with an auto) to the exorcist zl1 package at hennessey. yeah, I know....

anyway, here's what they do to his stock zl1..

http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehi...ercharged-zl1/

so I may have the opportunity to pick up all the parts that they take off his zl1 (a brand new zl1 with zero miles), including stock supercharger, stock heads, stock cam, stock lifters, valves, etc etc etc, what you see there.

i know enough to know that work is out of my ability, I freely admit that. so my question to the forum is, does anyone have an idea if what they take off that car can just be bolted on to mine, and I'd have everything I'd need to effectively have a zl1 motor in my car, understandably with a professional install and professional tune, or would I need to still spend a lot more on motor upgrades and transmission upgrades? Can that stock 6spd manual in the SS 1LE handle 650hp? I guess I'm trying to figure out how far from a ZL1 does that get me in parts, cause I may have an opportunity to pick up the parts they take off for very little, but if I need to spend another 15k in labor and parts to finish the job, then I'll go in a different direction.

does anyone have an idea of how much all those stock zl1 parts are worth and how much more it would take to get that SS to effectively have the same stock performance parts as the Zl1 and make that 650hp safely and reliabily, or is it just not possible? Previously I was never even thinking of doing this, but the opportunity to pick up these parts for beer money just presented itself, so I'm thinkin......

Looking for some genuine facts here guys.... thanks..

KingLT1 09-05-2020 05:09 PM

ADM performance or Weapon X is pretty much the go to for LT4 supercharger conversion kits for the SS. They have posted plenty of info on it over the years in the forced induction section. I believe you are around 4500-5k for the complete setup with supercharger or 3500 for the install kit with everything needed.

avarshav 09-06-2020 11:31 AM

I guess to better phrase my question....is anyone familiar enough with the exorcist package from hennessey to know whether all the stock zl1 parts that they remove are enough to build up an SS to that of a stock supercharged zl1? Would I need to add a lot of money in more parts for a complete build, or would it just be labor? I'm just trying to figure out how much more I would need to spend in this case...

pauly1119 09-06-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avarshav (Post 10863098)
I guess to better phrase my question....is anyone familiar enough with the exorcist package from hennessey to know whether all the stock zl1 parts that they remove are enough to build up an SS to that of a stock supercharged zl1? Would I need to add a lot of money in more parts for a complete build, or would it just be labor? I'm just trying to figure out how much more I would need to spend in this case...

Some things that come to mind you will need are innercooler pump, brackets, and complete wiring kit w/relay, adapter plates w/hardware, LT4 Balancer, Heat exchanger and reservoir tank, tuning. Probably another 2K in parts is my guess.

3.8TransAM 09-06-2020 12:23 PM

You will probably never see the parts.......

avarshav 09-06-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauly1119 (Post 10863116)
Some things that come to mind you will need are innercooler pump, brackets, and complete wiring kit w/relay, adapter plates w/hardware, LT4 Balancer, Heat exchanger and reservoir tank, tuning. Probably another 2K in parts is my guess.

thanks, thats the kind of info I was looking for. will the lt4 supercharger fit under the stock ss hood?

appleman22 09-06-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM (Post 10863125)
You will probably never see the parts.......

hahah I was thinking this! HENNESCREWED!!

Tim M 09-06-2020 02:37 PM

LT4 blower is a great option especially for your situation. It is all GM...bolts right up. See my build thread in signature for a not quite blow-by-blow install/results (200 CHP increase!).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8d1a36bd63.jpg

Redlinez 09-06-2020 07:57 PM

Keep in mind you don't have the forged bottom end that the ZL1 does.

LT4Greg 09-06-2020 08:54 PM

Very true Redlinez!

avarshav 09-06-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10863361)
Keep in mind you don't have the forged bottom end that the ZL1 does.

so you'd advise against it? or is an upgrade possible?

LiqTenExp 09-06-2020 11:08 PM

And also 11.5:1 vs 10:1 compression ratio.

USAFS197 09-07-2020 04:29 AM

As mentioned, it is possible to do this swap but, it's not a direct swap. You can't just simply bolt it on. It'll require an adapter to go from the blower to your heads. All things withstanding, so long as you have the parts needed to perform the swap, it's pretty straight forward.

But, please keep in mind that as someone else mentioned, you do not have the bottom end that a ZL1 has. Your stock pistons/rings are a gamble. You can get drop in pistons and be a bit safer but, it's all a roll of the dice. Keep it under 600whp, don't drive it like you stole it and you should be ok so long as you do proper maintenance and use quality fuels.

Gary Frank 09-07-2020 06:13 AM

I had Vengeance put my friends Zl1 SC on my 2SS 19 M6.. It required a ADM kit and was straightforward. the LT1 will be safe below 650hp. the build came
me out fantastic looks stock. Performance is great 587rwt and 535rwhp with low 7lb boost.