CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   2" Kooks LT Headers, No Cats, Borla Atak Exhaust - Sound Clip Request (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587027)

ZLAV1N 01-14-2021 07:36 AM

2" Kooks LT Headers, No Cats, Borla Atak Exhaust - Sound Clip Request

Does anyone have a sound clip of a set-up similar or equal to this?

2" Kooks LT Headers, No Primary or Secondary Cats, Borla Atak Exhaust

Will this be unbearably loud with NPP Open? Thoughts on Start Up Sound Level?

Trying to get the exhaust system dialed in before I have the entire system ceramic coated during the build.

Thank You :happy0180:

Z OH 6 01-14-2021 07:39 AM

Yes, unbearably loud.

ZLE dude 01-14-2021 07:46 AM

I'm sure if someone has this setup, you just need to step outside early in the morning and you'd hear them start it no matter where you/they live. That will be VERY loud. So if you want LOUD, this should do it.

ZLAV1N 01-14-2021 07:51 AM

well sh!t, this is what I was afraid of.... any recommendations to quiet her down a little but still allow for ample air flow & most HP? Green Cats? Different Axel Back Exhaust?

ZLAV1N 01-14-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZLE dude (Post 10936706)
I'm sure if someone has this setup, you just need to step outside early in the morning and you'd hear them start it no matter where you/they live. That will be VERY loud. So if you want LOUD, this should do it.

I am OK with loud but not LOUD. My 2013 ZL1 was 2" Headers with straight connection pipes to the stock axel back.... and that was LOUD as hell. I assume this would be close?

Z OH 6 01-14-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CS10SS (Post 10936710)
well sh!t, this is what I was afraid of.... any recommendations to quiet her down a little but still allow for ample air flow & most HP? Green Cats? Different Axel Back Exhaust?

Green cats and a different catback will help a lot. The fact is, these cars get super loud with headers and removal of the primary cats.

IneedAZ 01-14-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z OH 6 (Post 10936722)
Green cats and a different catback will help a lot. The fact is, these cars get super loud with headers and removal of the primary cats.

So True...i have ARH 2" into ARH long system, but stock muffler. Cruising and idle not bad..Give it some throttle and very loud. I now keep it in sport for exhaust. I may have to go down from there.

ZLAV1N 01-14-2021 09:09 AM

Is there a risk to running green cats on road courses & melting them? Or am I thinking of something else? Would the green cats decrease the HP a measurable amount, or just simply help quiet her down?

Camaro1973 01-14-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CS10SS (Post 10936694)
Does anyone have a sound clip of a set-up similar or equal to this?

2" Kooks LT Headers, No Primary or Secondary Cats, Borla Atak Exhaust

Will this be unbearably loud with NPP Open? Thoughts on Start Up Sound Level?

Trying to get the exhaust system dialed in before I have the entire system ceramic coated during the build.

Thank You :happy0180:

No cats and the ATAK is going to be pretty much like open pipes, i had this and had to remove the atak mufflers. Its going to be VERY loud. I put on kooks green cats, with borla s-type and its still very loud, but not obnoxious. If you dont want cats you can use the borla resonators which will calm it down a bit. May want to change from the atak mufflers as well.

ZLAV1N 01-14-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro1973 (Post 10936808)
No cats and the ATAK is going to be pretty much like open pipes, i had this and had to remove the atak mufflers. Its going to be VERY loud. I put on kooks green cats, with borla s-type and its still very loud, but not obnoxious. If you dont want cats you can use the borla resonators which will calm it down a bit. May want to change from the atak mufflers as well.

Thanks for the information. This confirms my concerns. Do you have headers on your ZL1?

ZLAV1N 01-14-2021 10:52 AM

Follow Up Question.... Would AWE Touring Edition Axle-back Exhaust fit with the Borla Atak piping that is already installed? If I just wanted to remove the Borla Atak Axle Back Mufflers and install the AWE Axle-Back? I assume so but I don't want to go the "cheap/risky" route, I would want to make sure the system is solid and matches up well.

I am sure this would still be loud but not as loud as the Atak, right? Or would the difference be negligible due to no cats & headers?

So... Kooks LT 2" Headers, No cats, existing Borla Piping to AWE Touring Axle-Back? Is this ok to do or not recommended?

Regardless.... I am leaning towards No Cats/No Kooks Green Cats so not sure what would keep her as "quiet" as possible.

Camaro1973 01-14-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CS10SS (Post 10936823)
Thanks for the information. This confirms my concerns. Do you have headers on your ZL1?

Yes kooks 2"

Camaro1973 01-14-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CS10SS (Post 10936838)
Follow Up Question.... Would AWE Touring Edition Axle-back Exhaust fit with the Borla Atak piping that is already installed? If I just wanted to remove the Borla Atak Axle Back Mufflers and install the AWE Axle-Back? I assume so but I don't want to go the "cheap/risky" route, I would want to make sure the system is solid and matches up well.

I am sure this would still be loud but not as loud as the Atak, right? Or would the difference be negligible due to no cats & headers?

So... Kooks LT 2" Headers, No cats, existing Borla Piping to AWE Touring Axle-Back? Is this ok to do or not recommended?

Regardless.... I am leaning towards No Cats/No Kooks Green Cats so not sure what would keep her as "quiet" as possible.

This im not sure. The ATAK is 3", im not sure if all cat backs are the same design. I dont know the size of the muffler inlet on the AWE, and it would need to be same design axle back.

You could add the borla resonators up front, the magnaflow 3" where x-pipe is or change mufflers. This all depends on how loud you want.

IMO headers with kooks/gesi green cats and borla s-type is one of the best sounding tone wise and decibel wise.

ZLAV1N 01-14-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro1973 (Post 10936849)
This im not sure. The ATAK is 3", im not sure if all cat backs are the same design. I dont know the size of the muffler inlet on the AWE, and it would need to be same design axle back.

You could add the borla resonators up front, the magnaflow 3" where x-pipe is or change mufflers. This all depends on how loud you want.

IMO headers with kooks/gesi green cats and borla s-type is one of the best sounding tone wise and decibel wise.

Thank You. I appreciate you sharing your information & thoughts.