CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Camber adjustment on ZL1 1LE? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529124)

MeanZL11LE 05-17-2018 01:40 AM

Camber adjustment on ZL1 1LE?

So I'm planning on tracking the car and wanted to set the front wheels at - 2.7 per GM recommendation. This car has 3 bolts you remove on the shock tower and spin 180 deg to add - 1.7 camber to the factory - 1. Seems really "easy" and great idea.

My question is 1) has anyone tried this? 2) did it alter the toe, as I assume it would?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

URBAN LEGEND 05-17-2018 04:37 AM

I have not. Interested in a quick overview.

djoker08 05-17-2018 04:47 AM

It is easy to do and the toe does change after you switch it, my alignment was off after switching it.

2010REDSS 05-17-2018 05:43 AM

It's best to switch to the "Track Camber" settings, then get the entire car aligned to the track alignment recommended in the manual.

That alignment has worked well for me at RoadAmerica and Road Atlanta.

MeanZL11LE 05-17-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010REDSS (Post 10187948)
It's best to switch to the "Track Camber" settings, then get the entire car aligned to the track alignment recommended in the manual.

That alignment has worked well for me at RoadAmerica and Road Atlanta.

I wanted to set up the car myself. Where did you take it for the track alignment?

MeanZL11LE 05-17-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djoker08 (Post 10187942)
It is easy to do and the toe does change after you switch it, my alignment was off after switching it.

So what did you do for alignment after switching it?

ICTsccaCamaro 05-17-2018 10:47 AM

The top mount or camber plate it kinda a PITA to rotate, the mount has mounting ears for the bolts and inside of the shock town has some reinforcement ribs that cause the two parts to hang up when you are rotating them around. I set mine in the "track camber" setting and put it on the alignment rack and had -3* of front camber and of course the toe was way off due to camber changing. Since I trailer to and from events i'm just going to leave mine in the track camber setting for the life of the car.

2010REDSS 05-17-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanZL11LE (Post 10188290)
I wanted to set up the car myself. Where did you take it for the track alignment?

Chevy dealer.....got a sharp mechanic there that is the only one that is allowed to work on my car....while I watch. :D

Xlr8ion 05-17-2018 11:12 AM

This topic has been beat to death

tomster 05-17-2018 11:43 AM

Its not hard but its not as easy as GM makes it sound. Like others said you have to drop the strut down to rotate it because the tabs hit.... Yes An Alignment is required after.

Mr. Wyndham 05-17-2018 11:56 AM

It's best to lift the entire front end up at once. jacking up one corner forces the stabilizer bar to resist the strut dropping and can cause it to hang up.

It's convenient you asked this - I've done this before several times.

But I'm having the car aligned twice at Tom Henry Chevrolet this Saturday. We will align it in street mode, and then switch the camber and height adjustments and take a measurement. If it's not right - we're going to re-align it...and then switch back to street settings to see what THAT does.

The camber and toe measurements are dynamic, and change with the geometry of the suspension.

silverbullet415 05-17-2018 11:59 AM

https://youtu.be/z9p4pNiqzrE

I made his when I did mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9p4pNiqzrE

Slate993tt 05-17-2018 12:15 PM

It's easy to do but the Toe will be waay off. I was able to get it to -2.7 on both sides in my garage using wheel Camber gauge but the toe was out. I had it all done by a good Alignment shop by my house. Just note that for the rear the bolts are 1-time use so have a place that has access to a chevy dealer or bring bolts with you.

Where in Socal are you? I'm up in Camarillo(Ventura County). If near here PM me and I'll shoot you who I used and what it cost etc.

dlct3 05-17-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 10188413)
It's best to lift the entire front end up at once. jacking up one corner forces the stabilizer bar to resist the strut dropping and can cause it to hang up.

It's convenient you asked this - I've done this before several times.

But I'm having the car aligned twice at Tom Henry Chevrolet this Saturday. We will align it in street mode, and then switch the camber and height adjustments and take a measurement. If it's not right - we're going to re-align it...and then switch back to street settings to see what THAT does.

The camber and toe measurements are dynamic, and change with the geometry of the suspension.

Interested in results and how this turns out... I drive on the street and want to try the track settings for a couple track days, but make the change back to "street mode" for normal use and tire wear. Such a pita having aligned, realigned, etc. Thanks for sharing.