CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Okay, GM it's time you fixed this! JLR did. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624216)

olrocker 03-29-2024 08:11 AM

This feels like we’re back to the old days, where all you needed to steal any car was a shim or long pick, a flat head screwdriver, and a hammer.

L2SS455 03-29-2024 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olrocker (Post 11414835)
This feels like we’re back to the old days, where all you needed to steal any car was a shim or long pick, a flat head screwdriver, and a hammer.

Maybe worse. Didn't have social media then, like TikTok showing, spreading every a##hole how to do it.

Mark114 03-29-2024 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L2SS455 (Post 11414110)
Hyundai and KIA was a completely different situation. They simply didn’t have the hardware to prevent thefts. Not true!

Per KIA

"In addition to this ignition cylinder protector, Kia has also designed a software upgrade that further enhances a vehicle’s security by restricting the operation of a vehicle’s ignition system should a potential criminal attempt to steal a locked vehicle without the key,"

So, there you have it. A software upgrade!

Kia thefts have been reported locally by owners after the software update. I see other similar reports on the internet. It would seem that the software update hasn’t resolved the problem after all.

L2SS455 03-29-2024 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark114 (Post 11414847)
Kia thefts have been reported locally by owners after the software update. I see other similar reports on the internet. It would seem that the software update hasn’t resolved the problem after all.

Not surprising. There are multiple ways to steal a car. The point I'm making is that once it's out in the social media world like TikTok, it's duplicated by every Tom, Dick and Harry from Teens on up. Kia's rep. as a easy steal will persist for years to come. That's why we don't want this to happen to Camaro's.

Evergreen6 03-29-2024 09:38 AM

Prediction: It's going to be the GM full-size trucks that cause any kind of retro-fix from GM. Way, WAY more of those get stolen and if I recall they basically have similar security architecture as the Camaro.

crazedmodder 03-29-2024 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L2SS455 (Post 11414807)
The goal is more consistency with revenue-generating, software and marketing functions to make the groups work more efficiently, while keeping customer experience and quality a top priority."

What does "more consistency with revenue-generating, software and marketing functions" even mean? Sounds like typical PR non-sense. I agree with others about GM being behind in software (I feel this way about most automotive manufacturers to be fair), and that this shake-up might be beneficial for improvements in that area, but I am interpreting that quote as GM targeting software more as a revenue generation stream (subscriptions...) instead of using it as a way of improving their products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by L2SS455 (Post 11414850)
Not surprising. There are multiple ways to steal a car. The point I'm making is that once it's out in the social media world like TikTok, it's duplicated by every Tom, Dick and Harry from Teens on up. Kia's rep. as a easy steal will persist for years to come. That's why we don't want this to happen to Camaro's.

This is a big worry for me, I've started looking into better security systems for the Camaro but once a car gets a reputation for being easy to steal it will still likely get damaged in the process. Sure, a broken window or damaged dash is better than losing your car completely, but I feel like it is throwing away money to repair damage from failed thefts because of flaws that companies have in their products.

Anyone remember the Mazda 3 generation where if you kicked the door in the right spot it would unlock? Many of the parked Mazda 3s I crossed in that time had big dents in the doors, and this persisted for a long time even after Mazda did their recall to install reinforcement plates as a remedy.

L2SS455 03-29-2024 10:12 AM

This is a big worry for me, too. Had Big plans to see and ride thru America with my VOM 2SS. Now with this New crap (Camaro stealing on the rise), even with IGLA, Compustar T13, OBD Lock, etc. I would never forgive myself, if I left it unattended in some hotel lot and it got broken into with glass., I would be removing for the life of the vehicle.

90503 03-29-2024 10:14 AM

...And just think, all these ongoing software issues that go unresolved and never ending are brought to you buy the same folks who are pushing the ability to "drive" with no-hands on the wheel!

With your family inside and other innocent travelers on the road, it's something to consider with the track record of software in cars before this software dependent "hands-free" bs gets out of control...(pun intended).

95 imp 03-29-2024 10:44 AM

Made the call. Took about 10 minutes. I figured 10-20 minutes talking to GM would be quicker than waiting for police, filing reports, and dealing with the insurance.

IMO, cars will always be stolen. They could get a flatbed or a helicopter to steal it.

That being said, GM has a duty to make my vehicle secure.
Why not just forget door locks and put a toggle switch on the dash?

This cloning business is just about as easy.

Not only that, as some have mentioned, my insurance rates will go up to cover these losses.
I'm sure we will have to pay more period because the odds of a damage claim occurring w/o an actual theft will go up too.

Also, saying it's only a "LA thing", or "California thing" is pretty ignorant. Everyone knows that once a trend starts (good or bad), it will travel across the country. It's only a matter of time.

FWIW, you can also add Dodge to the list of companies that recognized the problem and is/has attempted to fix it.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/art...-measures.html

L2SS455 03-29-2024 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 11414869)
Made the call. Took about 10 minutes. I figured 10-20 minutes talking to GM would be quicker than waiting for police, filing reports, and dealing with the insurance.

IMO, cars will always be stolen. They could get a flatbed or a helicopter to steal it.

Not only that, as some have mentioned, my insurance rates will go up to cover these losses.
I'm sure we will have to pay more period because the odds of a damage claim occurring w/o an actual theft will go up too.

Also, saying it's only a "LA thing", or "California thing" is pretty ignorant. Everyone knows that once a trend starts (good or bad), it will travel across the country. It's only a matter of time.

FWIW, you can also add Dodge to the list of companies that recognized the problem and is/has attempted to fix it.

They have a key system, preventing thieves from creating a new key fob. WTF !
Come on GM!

GroundhogSS 03-29-2024 02:09 PM

Obviously that Dodge thing from 2021 didn't work or has already been bypassed. Lots of Hellcats and other Stelantis vehicles being stolen now.

95 imp 03-29-2024 11:21 PM

Spoke with my Agent today (Allstate) about discounts for theft deterrents.

It varies from state to state (AZ is a no).

I also asked if, as an individual company, or as a group (insurance association), do they lobby car manufacturers to fix these sorts of issues.

The reply was no.

Specifically, she stated that in the case of KIA, insurance companies either refused to insure any vehicles, or they offered liability only.

Allstate's stand was that if the car owners got mad enough, they'd contact the manufacturers to demand a software patch to solve the problem.

L2SS455 03-30-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 11414869)

Thanks, wish every 6th Gen. Camaro owner would do the same.

As said by :"Allstate's stand was that if the car owners got mad enough, they'd contact the manufacturers to demand a software patch to solve the problem."

Capricio 03-30-2024 10:09 AM

Too much hand wringing over the "why even try?" arguments to contend with the flatbeds/helicopters (less than 1%) when a simple relay swap (regardless of appearance of the actual relay) or kill switch will stop the 16 year old with cloning tool from Amazon (99%) in his tracks.