Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-28-2022, 10:51 PM   #1
Kyletech

Drives: 2015 Green Flash
How much will it cost to buy back my totaled 2015 green flash

So a drunk uninsured driver hit my 2015 green flash camaro (22,000 miles) and the insurance company is going to total it. I was out of the county when it happened but my brother (he didn’t get hurt) was able to limp the car back to my house. I haven’t been able to start the car yet the battery was dead but I have it on the charger. Any idea how much the insurance company will want and any idea if it would be worth fixing or parting it out to help with my deductible? The damage is all on the front bumper and down the drivers side. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Kyletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Well, in the "old days" you could get totaled cars back for relatively cheap but the last time I tried, Farmer's wanted an arm and a leg. I was very surprised. It was a cherry 94 Mustang GT vert manual car that some dumb kid hit me head on in at about 40 mph. I was stopped at an intersection waiting to turn. I wanted the motor and tranny back. Farmer's wanted $1900 for the totaled car. I only paid $4K for it. This was about 5-6 years ago. Many years ago, I bought a 91 Firebird Formula back from the insurance company for $300. Times have changed.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:46 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
thought mine was totalled last year.6 cylinder car ,2LT.i was hit by a semi and pushed sideways 1/4 mile down the road at 60 mph.it cost my insurance company about 12k for a new drivers side 1/4 panal,door,rear wheel and tire and other bits and pieces.car looks and drives as new now.maybe you should have it taken to a good shop for a second opinion.believe it or not my car looked just as badbut front bumper and fender were not even scratched.if your airbags went off im afraid it is totalled though.there are pics on this part of the site around early july if you want to look.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:57 PM   #4
Kyletech

The airbags all but the steering wheel went off but I think the drivetrain is ok, will know more tomorrow if it will start up.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:12 AM   #5
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Let it go and find a different car.

Thats what I would do but its your choice.

Your going to have a branded title and should check to see if you can insure it again after you pour wads of cash in it.

I know you can fall in love with your car but its an inanimate object and emotion should not be ruling your decision.

Use your time to search for the best replacement you can find and start a new carmance
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #6
Kyletech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Let it go and find a different car.

Thats what I would do but its your choice.

Your going to have a branded title and should check to see if you can insure it again after you pour wads of cash in it.

I know you can fall in love with your car but its an inanimate object and emotion should not be ruling your decision.

Use your time to search for the best replacement you can find and start a new carmance
I’m leaning towards letting it go, might buy back if the price is right to part it out, I was hoping someone might have an idea what the insurance company will sell it to me for?
Old 12-29-2022, 07:32 AM   #7
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I don't know for sure but I think they tend to charge what they think they can get from salvage auction for buybacks. Which for a 5th gen SS camaro would be around 8k to 10k. But don't quote me on that.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Years ago (2013) my wife was hit by an uninsured drunk driver in our Pontiac G8 GT. I thought about buying it back because it was the first car I'd ever bought that wasn't solely a practical car. They quit counting the damage at $21k (what they valued the car at) as the driver's side was destroyed, including the front and rear bumper covers. The insurance wanted $8k for the car, if I remember right. I was only considering buying it back for the drive train because my dad has a 1938 Chevy that needs something done with it.

I say all of that to say this, let it go. Watch the insurance auction pages of you really want it back and buy it there for likely less than they're going to ask you to pay off your that dead set on still owning it.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:01 AM   #9
Kyletech

Thanks for all of the input, this was the first really nice car my wife and I bought together and it’s been hard seeing totaled, I have found the same car on the east coast and might just buy a replacement or look at the 6th gen Camaros.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
All I can say is I’m sorry you lost your baby. That really sucks bad. I’m pretty sure I’d get locked up if that happened to my car.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:10 PM   #11
Kyletech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
All I can say is I’m sorry you lost your baby. That really sucks bad. I’m pretty sure I’d get locked up if that happened to my car.
I love your Aqua Blue Camaro, when we bought the 2015 green flash it was 2 years old and under 10k CPO but we were also looking at a base model 2018 1ss so it might be time to look at a blue 2ss.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyletech View Post
Thanks for all of the input, this was the first really nice car my wife and I bought together and it’s been hard seeing totaled, I have found the same car on the east coast and might just buy a replacement or look at the 6th gen Camaros.
Ouch! I totally feel your pain. That was our G8 for us. Best of luck with your replacement vehicle!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I've done the buyback a few times and I'd say no. I doubt I'll do that again.
There can be damage you can't see and it's all on your $ and hassle to repair.
The repairs are another whole chapter. Finding good bodywork is hard and expensive.
If you didn't know they also like to lowball the repair estimate then keep adding $$ to the bill for "hidden damage". When you are thinking it will only cost $ to repair it the final total you pay is $$$
The quality of repairs I've had were lacking. Parts under the bodywork remained damaged and e.g. metal lines were left rubbing against something sharp that was bent and later rubbed a hole in the line. When it's an AC line that's a pain in the butt for sure. Another car had annoying rattles, and you take years frustrated with that until you find the missing fasteners here and there.

The paint wasn't up to factory. It either mismatched in some cases or chipped off easily or faded in other cases. The repair shop usually doesn't care about that, they will brush you off once they get you out the door. It is nothing like how the original warranty process with the dealer goes.

Even a simple door repair someone did on my Camaro before I got it looked good until the clear coat is now yellowing and I'm stuck with that...
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:23 AM   #14
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyletech View Post
I love your Aqua Blue Camaro, when we bought the 2015 green flash it was 2 years old and under 10k CPO but we were also looking at a base model 2018 1ss so it might be time to look at a blue 2ss.
Thanks for the kind words. ABM is a really bad ass color in person. If you are looking at 6th gens, I’m a big fan of hyper blue metallic as well. That’s my favorite 6th Gen color by far.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote