Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 07-13-2022, 10:24 PM   #1
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Getting so frustrated

To recap - I ordered a 22 ZL1 on March 1. GM sat on the order for a couple months, then canceled. My dealer, who was not super motivated to help, I don't think, finally got back to me about it and said I should just order a 23, but that his small dealership had 6 orders ahead of mine. Well, they were still letting me have the car at msrp, so I went with them again and placed the order in mid May. Here we are on 7/13 and my order is still at 1100, with no movement on mine or any of the cars ahead of me. My dealer has now left that dealership, so I asked him now that he's gone if I should keep the order there or start looking elsewhere, if I realistically expect to get this car. He said to look elsewhere...

So, today I called 10 other northern CA dealerships around me, and all said they'd be happy to take my order...BUT:

the zl1 is a super rare car and I would have to agree to pay $4000-10000 over msrp when it arrives.

or

They don't know about their allocations or how many orders are ahead of mine, and generally didnt seem to know what they're talking about - not inspiring confidence to order through them.

or

I should expect to wait AT LEAST a year to get the car due to current constraints

or

the one dealership that seemed to know what they were talking about order-wise wouldnt give me a solid answer about pricing, and told me their go-to guy would call me back about it, but he never did.

I'm really sick of screwing around. I AM TRYING TO BUY A $70,000 CAR FROM GM and it's like they don't want my business. This process is so flawed and frustrating. My wife ordered her Tesla, and we did it online, waited a couple months, then went and picked up the car. Smooth and easy. WTF is GM doing?

Please, if you are a dealer reading this (or someone who knows of a rock solid dealer) and you know you can get me a car in the next 6mo or so, please contact me!
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:58 PM   #2
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
To recap - I ordered a 22 ZL1 on March 1. GM sat on the order for a couple months, then canceled. My dealer, who was not super motivated to help, I don't think, finally got back to me about it and said I should just order a 23, but that his small dealership had 6 orders ahead of mine. Well, they were still letting me have the car at msrp, so I went with them again and placed the order in mid May. Here we are on 7/13 and my order is still at 1100, with no movement on mine or any of the cars ahead of me. My dealer has now left that dealership, so I asked him now that he's gone if I should keep the order there or start looking elsewhere, if I realistically expect to get this car. He said to look elsewhere...

So, today I called 10 other northern CA dealerships around me, and all said they'd be happy to take my order...BUT:

the zl1 is a super rare car and I would have to agree to pay $4000-10000 over msrp when it arrives.

or

They don't know about their allocations or how many orders are ahead of mine, and generally didnt seem to know what they're talking about - not inspiring confidence to order through them.

or

I should expect to wait AT LEAST a year to get the car due to current constraints

or

the one dealership that seemed to know what they were talking about order-wise wouldnt give me a solid answer about pricing, and told me their go-to guy would call me back about it, but he never did.

I'm really sick of screwing around. I AM TRYING TO BUY A $70,000 CAR FROM GM and it's like they don't want my business. This process is so flawed and frustrating. My wife ordered her Tesla, and we did it online, waited a couple months, then went and picked up the car. Smooth and easy. WTF is GM doing?

Please, if you are a dealer reading this (or someone who knows of a rock solid dealer) and you know you can get me a car in the next 6mo or so, please contact me!
Frustrating indeed. I bought a couple of Tesla Model 3s as well so I know what you mean. At least with Tesla you hit the website, build your car, pay the $250 fee and just wait for a VIN number. No allocation crap, no getting bumped in line due to constraints, no dealer markup crap, etc.

The supply shortage is pretty bad with other brands as well. It is weird, if you want a Subaru BRZ you can order one to your specs but if you want the Toyota GR86 twin you have to just wait for an allocation and hope it matches what you want.

I bought a 2021 ZL1 last year. I saw it show up on the lot and this particular dealer would sell at MSRP and they gave me top dollar for my trade. It was not my first color choice and I really preferred a manual but this had the A10. I figured I would give the A10 a try since it has great reviews. It is a fantastic transmission but I still missed rowing my own gears. So, I said let me put an order in for a 2023 in Vivid Orange with an M6. Well, I cancelled the order because like you said, it will take forever at this point and I probably will want something else by that time. Furthermore, by the time they build my car we could be in a full recession and I would not want to take the hit on my trade and still pay MSRP including the $3,700 increase.

As for you getting a ZL1, if you are willing to travel you can find one but it may not be the exact color or have the red seat belts or the carbon fiber insert, etc. but these cars do exist. A dealer about 20 miles from me just got a 2022 Summit White ZL1 convertible with A10 and red belts and knee pads. They typically sell at MSRP, the car is listed for $74k.

Cars.com shows 142 new ZL1s nationwide. Some may be in transit but some are on lots with markup while some are being offered at MSRP. Very tough time to be a buyer in this market.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:58 PM   #3
mRahmani

Drives: ‘23 SS 1LE
ZL1s have been under severe production constraints for a year now, and I don’t see the situation improving before the Camaro is retired. Unfortunately GM has limited control over the dealers, which is why so many want to screw around with you. Any dealer that can promise a car in 6 months is probably lying; I would expect a 1 year wait for a ZL1.

I’ve heard good things about Rogers Chevy in MI; you might give them a call and mention you heard about them through the Camaro forums. They will need to order the car with the copper free brake package to be California legal.
mRahmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:08 AM   #4
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Quote:

or

or

or

With all the current constraints and supply chain issues I don't think ANYONE can get a freshly ordered ZL1 delivered in 6 months so you might need to lower your expectations unless you are willing to travel and pay over MSRP.

How far are you willing to travel? There is a dealer near me in socal who has allocations and guaranteed that I will only pay MSRP when the car arrives. I didn't have to pay a deposit either. They sell a lot of Camaros so I believe they actually do have allocation.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:47 AM   #5
JBones81

Thanks guys. I'm exploring the option to just buy an existing 22 that is as close as possible to what I want - manual with limited options, in silver, white, grey, or possibly blue. I am open to buying from anywhere, the issue is with trying to title the car here in CA where we have the toughest rules for smog and now the copper brake thing. I'm sure I can work around it, but it may be a huge PITA. There's a part of me that is just thinking, your order is in, you may have to wait a year, but hope for the best and get exactly what you want. I guess that may be my only option if I can't find something right now.
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 07-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Whatever car you find, just ask if it has CA emissions. Most likely it will. I may be wrong, but I think all new Camaros come with CA emissions regardless of the state that sells them. Good luck.

P.S. You may have to get one equipped with the copper free brake pads, however....Good luck again.

Last edited by 90503; 07-14-2022 at 10:37 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
raptor5244

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm exploring the option to just buy an existing 22 that is as close as possible to what I want - manual with limited options, in silver, white, grey, or possibly blue. I am open to buying from anywhere, the issue is with trying to title the car here in CA where we have the toughest rules for smog and now the copper brake thing. I'm sure I can work around it, but it may be a huge PITA. There's a part of me that is just thinking, your order is in, you may have to wait a year, but hope for the best and get exactly what you want. I guess that may be my only option if I can't find something right now.
I want a M6 again but I am still on the fence as to whether it is worth it since the A10 in this car is really good. I am starting to feel like while I enjoy the M6 the car is just too freakin fast to be able to really enjoy rowing the gears. You know the ZL1 M6 gearing enables it to reach 60mph in 1st, 80mph in 2nd when you wind it out so you can't really rip through a couple gears on the street unless you have so good roads in your area. Mine suck.

In the A10 with so many gears, they are much shorter so you can put it in manual mode and hold much shorter gears, more gears to play with at street speeds. That said, it is not as much fun without a clutch but it is nice when dealing with traffic and it is quite a bit quicker off the line. Pros and cons.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-14-2022, 09:27 AM   #8
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I placed an order on 5/27, still at 1100. Deal was for MSRP plus $500 rebate. The way I see it, I'm not paying over MSRP, so if a dealer charging MSRP can't get the car, then I won't get the car. I placed the order so if the car comes, it comes. If it doesn't, give me my deposit back and I won't buy the car. This car is a want, not a need. And I don't want any car bad enough to pay over MSRP. I know many disagree with me, but that's just me. I'm okay with whatever happens.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #9
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I placed an order on 5/27, still at 1100. Deal was for MSRP plus $500 rebate. The way I see it, I'm not paying over MSRP, so if a dealer charging MSRP can't get the car, then I won't get the car. I placed the order so if the car comes, it comes. If it doesn't, give me my deposit back and I won't buy the car. This car is a want, not a need. And I don't want any car bad enough to pay over MSRP. I know many disagree with me, but that's just me. I'm okay with whatever happens.
I am the same way. MSRP is my max. I see these guys paying 20-30k over for used C8s. I guess if you just have money to burn so be it but I could never do that.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-14-2022, 08:53 PM   #10
JBones81

Today I found several that would work for me, and the prices looked great on their websites...but when I called them to see if the cars were still available, I was informed of their current $10,000 ADM. Are people really paying $77,000 for an m6 zl1 with nearly no options?
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 07-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #11
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
There are plenty of used ones for sale in the Camaro ZL1 facebook groups. I see 17 through 22's for sale all the time every day.

And here is the link to the locator that shows a bunch around you.

https://www.chevrolet.com/locate-inv...Trim&trims=ZL1
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #12
JBones81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
There are plenty of used ones for sale in the Camaro ZL1 facebook groups. I see 17 through 22's for sale all the time every day.

And here is the link to the locator that shows a bunch around you.

https://www.chevrolet.com/locate-inv...Trim&trims=ZL1
I am very anal and only buy new cars now, when I can. Obv if Chevy suddenly pulls the plug on zl1s or something crazy like that, I'd compromise...but for now Im only trying to buy new
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 07-14-2022, 09:59 PM   #13
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
I am very anal and only buy new cars now, when I can. Obv if Chevy suddenly pulls the plug on zl1s or something crazy like that, I'd compromise...but for now Im only trying to buy new
Well this is quite literally the worst time for you to take that stance against used cars. Lol. But hey keep looking for that unicorn.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #14
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Today I found several that would work for me, and the prices looked great on their websites...but when I called them to see if the cars were still available, I was informed of their current $10,000 ADM. Are people really paying $77,000 for an m6 zl1 with nearly no options?
Don't pay 10K ADM. The market is coming down, we're on the brink of a recession. Shop around. That's what I did and placed an order for MSRP at a dealer that's about an hour and a half from me.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote