Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
RS6 vs Blackwing vs 911 C2

I'm considering one of these cars as a new daily driver. My son drives the Camaro mostly so I'm looking for a fun car for myself that is daily driver practical. I live in the midwest so needs to be winter capable. Here's how I see each, in no certain order. Curious any thoughts or opinions on these, or other ideas.

1. Audi RS6 avant. MSRP ~$125k. I've always wanted one of these but have not been available in the US until now. 600hp twin turbo V8, auto-only, AWD. 4-door wagon practicality. Of the 3 cars, this is probably the most practical and with a set of winter wheels/tires the most all-season capable. Although there are no good all-season tires in factory sizes - would need to buy another set of wheels and tires for winter use. I have a spring allocation and build date so do think the car will be built. Biggest downside might be that it is a big, heavy car that might not be as fun as the others. It is quick, but seems more of a bruiser cruiser. I have not driven it so only going by reviews.

2. CT5 Blackwing. MSRP ~$100k. I've had 2 CTS-V (V2 and V3) and several GM performance cars so have a good sense of this one. I have an order in for a manual and the dealer is confident they can get an allocation but don't know when. Less practical than the RS6 but still useful as a 4-door car. Manual makes it a ton more fun. Good performance. Winter usability might be the worst of the group with front engine RWD. Would need dedicated winter wheels and tires that might not be easy to find a fitment.

3. Porsche 911 Carrera S. MSRP ~$135k. I'd order a manual car and wish they made a manual base Carrera (have to get an S to get a manual). I do not have an order in now. I had a 991 Carrera that made me a Porsche fan. Love these cars but hate how much they cost to buy and maintain. Dealer says they can get one but could be 12 months or more, depends on how production recovers. They have a long waitlist for all 911 models. Best overall performance of the 3 cars and the most fun as a manual sports car. Actually good winter utility with winter tires and weight over the rear tires. Can actually order a set of winter wheels and tires from the factory that are Porsche approved and ready to go. Not unusual to drive a 911 in the winter. Least practical though as a smallish 2-door with a small backseat and front trunk.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
I’m not a wagon fan so if the RS6 isn’t available in sedan, it’s a no right of the bat. If sedan is available with same engine, that maybe would be my choice. RWD traction technology and tires have come along way but in the Midwest I want all wheel drive availability in winter. If you can put the savings of the Cad toward a SUV or pickup with all wheel drive, the Cad could work. The Porsche will hold value but you won’t really see it till you sell and recoup some of the expenses. Are you going to keep the Camaro because that would be getting the winter tires if I went with the Cad. Tough call.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #3
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
None of those at that price point

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote