Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Street Tire - Stock HP

Is there a street tire that can hold Stock HP - I have about 800 miles of Seat time in my ZLE - I had the stock tires changed to PS4 before she left the lot - Its been fairly cold not many chances to stretch her legs - but the few times I was able to - I noticed the PS4s breaking loose - from a Roll and Dig.....Is this due to the cold weather or the fact this car has to much power for the PS4 even when they are hot.

Will I need a dedicated Track tire to hold the stock HP - R888s ???

Will the PS4s Hold the Stock HP - I just need to wait until the ground is Hot
Attached Images

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
If you're running a summer tire in NJ this time of year, yes, you'll have a serious problem with traction due to the temps. A max summer like these aren't good for much when under 65 degrees (ish). PS4 wasn't an upgrade over the SC3 in that respect. Why the change?
Its more youre use of the pedal than the tire. Short of a drag radial and a burnout 650/650 isn't going to hook on any tire if you're not good with the pedal.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
If you're running a summer tire in NJ this time of year, yes, you'll have a serious problem with traction due to the temps. A max summer like these aren't good for much when under 65 degrees (ish). PS4 wasn't an upgrade over the SC3 in that respect. Why the change?
Its more youre use of the pedal than the tire. Short of a drag radial and a burnout 650/650 isn't going to hook on any tire if you're not good with the pedal.
Your advise is No Street tire is going to hold the Power - will need a dedicated Competition tire and some pedal skill to for them to hook

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 03-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
It depends on the type of driving you're doing and how you drive. I have the PS4S and I DD my ZL1. I have no issues with traction and that includes spirited driving, some decent light to light digs, some rolls, tight corners at decent speeds, etc. Am I launching it or mashing the gas pedal from a dig? No. But there are no issues when feathering the gas properly and feeling for the car and know when it will break loose and when it will stick and just how to drive it to keep it on that fine line. However some people drive in berserker mode...even light to light against those types I have no problems dusting them by just aplying light throttle and waiting for it to hook and then taking off. But the point is, if you're driving like that then I doubt ay tire would be good for street use and you should probably stick to the track and run DRs. But after a good amount of seat time and knowing how your car responds to throttle input you should not have an issue with the PS4S tires and spirited street use. For racing, yea you'll need something better.

For the record, my HC has 766 RWHP and I use cheap ass MuchoMacho tires on them at the stock 275 size. And it is a manual trans. I have no issues with that car and driving on the street with some decent takeoffs and rolls...like merging into the highway. I drive both cars in all conditions except for snow. And to be honest, it is more of a reflection of how you drive the car and how well you know and feel the car. I could add another 100 RWHP to my HC and keep these tires and I'll be fine. And I will likely keep the PS4S tires on my ZL1 after it is fully modded. But if I went to the track then that would be a different story.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I have Pirelli P Zero's on my car, on my 2nd set actually, and they do well. From a 30, the car goes. From a stop, it has wheel spin unless I've been driving for a while and it's warm out then it'll go.

The stock tires are ONLY good when they're warmed up. Even then, you'll only get maybe 7k miles out of the tire just driving around. Though they are only good in temps above 65 and not raining.

Are you just wanting a tire for daily driving, racing or autocross/ road course? But yes, the cold temps will make any extreme summer tires loose grip. Cold as in under 65 or 60.

And you will need to learn to control the throttle and get some seat time in this high horsepower, RWD car.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
You need to wait until your tires get warm, not necessarily the road, although a combo of both is best.

10-15 minutes of spirited driving in the LA canyons behind my house usually does the trick even on a cold day or night, and lately I'm running Pirelli DH take-off slicks as my street tire (I never drive my ZLE in water). PS4S will take less time to heat up, and once they do they should hook up well at stock HP.
Attached Images

SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #7
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
You need to wait until your tires get warm, not necessarily the road, although a combo of both is best.

10-15 minutes of spirited driving in the LA canyons behind my house usually does the trick even on a cold day or night, and lately I'm running Pirelli DH take-off slicks as my street tire (I never drive my ZLE in water). PS4S will take less time to heat up, and once they do they should hook up well at stock HP.
What rims are those? They look great. Would love to run the take offs vs the price of the sc3r's, are you stock power? And how well do they hold grip once warmed up?
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #8
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
No tire is going to grip well in the cold.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:41 PM   #9
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
No tire is going to grip well in the cold.
A very hot and gooey R comp will, but maybe you aren't including R comps and everything is relative--they grip much better on a track that's been heated by the sun or packs of fast cars on a cold morning.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:55 PM   #10
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
What rims are those? They look great. Would love to run the take offs vs the price of the sc3r's, are you stock power? And how well do they hold grip once warmed up?
Thanks, these are Signature SV501s in 18x11 front/18x12 rear. I am running stock power, I need my warranty and as a track car this thing doesn't need more power it needs a better driver.

The Pirelli DH take-offs in that pic were great, they were as fast or faster than new SC3Rs and I set a personal best that day at Auto Club Speedway.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #11
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
Your advise is No Street tire is going to hold the Power - will need a dedicated Competition tire and some pedal skill to for them to hook
Pretty much. You can't mash on 650, much more about the pedal than the tire.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #12
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
A very hot and gooey R comp will, but maybe you aren't including R comps and everything is relative--they grip much better on a track that's been heated by the sun or packs of fast cars on a cold morning.
Every tire grips better when its warm.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #13
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:

That looks awesome with big meaty slicks on those rims.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Pretty much. You can't mash on 650, much more about the pedal than the tire.

Like this - dont look for the tire to do the work - get my skills up

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold