Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
2017 SS Stock Air Box Modification?

I've seen people cut holes in the stock air box for more air. These people didn't insulate their holes from the engine bay so they essentially ruined a good CAI that comes from the factory.

The lower portion of the stock intake has a bunch of cross support plastic. Has anyone ever attempted to remove these air / sound obstructing pieces while keeping the rest of the box intact? Searching this forum only results in people cutting holes.

I prefer / enjoy DIY experiments over buying over-priced products.

I'm not knocking people's products. I think the Rotofab intake is fantastic, but $430+ for 3-5 rwhp, that's a tough pill to swallow.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble Goat View Post
I think the Rotofab intake is fantastic, but $430+ for 3-5 rwhp, that's a tough pill to swallow.

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I cut a hole facing into the fender. It gained 3hp on the dyno with multiple before and after runs.

No idea if the temp of the air in the fender well when moving.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
op: you're trying to split the hairs that have already been split once. i did a lot of testing my cut stock box against a dry rotofab. iats appeared unaffected across the board. basically i concluded that a rotofab was worth 0 over a cut stock box. at speed, on the dyno or otherwise. stock long block: the restriction in the intake system is not the air box, it is the throttle body. but truth be told, my e85/bolt on car saw very little peak power from adding a rf dry and 95 mm tb. but i do think those additions contributed to the preservation of peak power over 6k rpm.

here is my cut box vs rf dry. inlet area in particular.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
impulse

Drives: Big Dually ... RIP ZL1
I got it because I wanted more whine. 500 bucks for some more whine. Seems ok to me LOL
Old 12-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Wobble Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
op: you're trying to split the hairs that have already been split once. i did a lot of testing my cut stock box against a dry rotofab. iats appeared unaffected across the board. basically i concluded that a rotofab was worth 0 over a cut stock box. at speed, on the dyno or otherwise. stock long block: the restriction in the intake system is not the air box, it is the throttle body. but truth be told, my e85/bolt on car saw very little peak power from adding a rf dry and 95 mm tb. but i do think those additions contributed to the preservation of peak power over 6k rpm.

here is my cut box vs rf dry. inlet area in particular.
I appreciate the info. Your testing alone makes me believe there is negligible gains to be made by replacing / modifying the stock intake on any LT1 Camaro that isn't FI.

Doing this for my own satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
I got it because I wanted more whine. 500 bucks for some more whine. Seems ok to me LOL
I bought a stock intake for significantly less than $500; we'll have to see if I have a bit more "whine".

Stock / OEM Air Intake Box

Went to town with some pliers.

Used an oscillator to cut the high points and sand.
Used a dremel to clean up a couple spots the oscillator couldn't reach.
I could go through multiple grits to smooth it out but, no point. Nobody will ever see this on the car and the obstructions have been removed.

I will test with the stock filter, before using the "green filter" for the sound difference.

Last edited by Wobble Goat; 12-29-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Anybody know what is the purpose of those two air veins in the last photo? Maybe the Mass Air sensor needs it?

Is there any potential gains by removing this two also since you are already cutting up the box? Do the aftermarket replacements also have those? Just seems like anything in that area is an obstruction.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
Wobble Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Anybody know what is the purpose of those two air veins in the last photo? Maybe the Mass Air sensor needs it?

Is there any potential gains by removing this two also since you are already cutting up the box? Do the aftermarket replacements also have those? Just seems like anything in that area is an obstruction.
Those 2 "air veins" smooth the air over the Mass Airflow Reader. If you remove them, you will have idle issues. (I know this because years ago I did the infamous "de-screening" on my GTO.) To resolve the issue on my GTO I went maf-less and got a Speed Density Tune.

GOOD aftermarket intakes keep those fins.
https://youtu.be/gYdRNjFof8U?t=406

What I removed from inside the intake box looks more like support and sound deadening. Most of what is inside the air box isn't "finned" to let air through.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Those 2 "air veins" smooth the air over the Mass Airflow Reader. If you remove them, you will have idle issues. (I know this because years ago I did the infamous "de-screening" on my GTO.) To resolve the issue on my GTO I went maf-less and got a Speed Density Tune.

What I removed from inside the intake box looks more like support and sound deadening. Most of what is inside the air box isn't "finned" to let air through.
ahh yes, the infamous screen delete!
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:

I bought a stock intake for significantly less than $500; we'll have to see if I have a bit more "whine".

I will test with the stock filter, before using the "green filter" for the sound difference.
I've done this already and there isn't really more "whine" but there is more intake air noise. More air-rush type of noise, like a "whoosh".

I think those fins in the airbox serve several purposes: NVH attenuators (subjective NVH criteria based on some kind of consumer survey/trail and management team acceptance), air flow directors (keep in mind the various angles the air has to go through to get to the intake pipe and turbulent affects), and airbox structural stiffness modifiers.

I think that some of the vanes in the hat of the airbox should probably stay there, but I am not sure which ones. I can tell you, in monitoring MAF, going between the factory hat and a modified version where I did basically what you did, MAF went down... But... but, take that with a grain of salt because I only did some quick idle and street cruise speed data comparison.

Now, will a combination with the entire airbox being void of the vanes prove to be the best setup for power? I have no clue. My point is, those vanes do something. GM obviously spent time screwing with them in some sort of balancing effect. Messing with them, it's difficult to know if you're making things worse or better unless you play around with the combinations [between vanes being there and not and being there, or not, in the hat or bottom or both].

Personally, after seeing that MAF seemed to go down in messing with the airbox hat, by removing all the vanes, I left the factory, unmolested airbox hat on and just used a modified bottom box. In the bottom box, I removed the vanes at the inlet entry, with a few other vanes removed that looked like they could only impede flow into the airbox and up into the airbox hat/towards the MAF inlet. I chose this based on people's testing of cutting out the bottom box and basic understanding of airflow, having some experience on a flow bench, and targeting a select area that I felt confident would be something of an improvement. I did see a small MAF gain with this over the unmolested factory airbox - I can't remember how much though.

Note: I forgot to mention... I used waterflow to try and understand what air would potentially be doing in the airbox - I used spray from my garden hose, with an adjustable nozzle, to get somewhat of a visible way to see what I was messing with.

Last edited by Mountain; 12-30-2020 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added note
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #11
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:

What I thought was interesting in the airbox hat is the piece of sound deadening material that looks like it was added last minute/as a later finding after the hat tooling may have already been produced. Im stuck wondering if the material was added for NVH purposes or to cheaply cover over some of the vanes to smooth out airflow into the MAF inlet...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Wobble Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I've done this already and there isn't really more "whine" but there is more intake air noise. More air-rush type of noise, like a "whoosh".

I think those fins in the airbox serve several purposes: NVH attenuators (subjective NVH criteria based on some kind of consumer survey/trail and management team acceptance), air flow directors (keep in mind the various angles the air has to go through to get to the intake pipe and turbulent affects), and airbox structural stiffness modifiers.

I think that some of the vanes in the hat of the airbox should probably stay there, but I am not sure which ones. I can tell you, in monitoring MAF, going between the factory hat and a modified version where I did basically what you did, MAF went down... But... but, take that with a grain of salt because I only did some quick idle and street cruise speed data comparison.

Now, will a combination with the entire airbox being void of the vanes prove to be the best setup for power? I have no clue. My point is, those vanes do something. GM obviously spent time screwing with them in some sort of balancing effect. Messing with them, it's difficult to know if you're making things worse or better unless you play around with the combinations [between vanes being there and not and being there, or not, in the hat or bottom or both].

Personally, after seeing that MAF seemed to go down in messing with the airbox hat, by removing all the vanes, I left the factory, unmolested airbox hat on and just used a modified bottom box. In the bottom box, I removed the vanes at the inlet entry, with a few other vanes removed that looked like they could only impede flow into the airbox and up into the airbox hat/towards the MAF inlet. I chose this based on people's testing of cutting out the bottom box and basic understanding of airflow, having some experience on a flow bench, and targeting a select area that I felt confident would be something of an improvement. I did see a small MAF gain with this over the unmolested factory airbox - I can't remember how much though.

Note: I forgot to mention... I used waterflow to try and understand what air would potentially be doing in the airbox - I used spray from my garden hose, with an adjustable nozzle, to get somewhat of a visible way to see what I was messing with.
I still have my "unmolested" airbox. That's a good thought, I'll test with the stock lid vs "de-vaned" lid. The top lid did seem to have more effective "vanes" in it with that weird glued in cloth piece.

Granted none of this will matter without dyno testing. I plan to go to CSP for dyno tuning at some point, but I'm holding off till I have more parts; LT2 intake, 95mm tb, CSP longtube headers, you know, the basics.

Manufacturers have to follow some ridiculous rules in their design; I'd really like to see intake designs in Solidworks to show the fluid dynamics simulations.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
if any of you recall, the ls1 lid had the same raised plastic waffling. the aftermarket lids did not. the absence of said plastic made 0 difference performancewise. i'm guessing it is a sound deadening tool.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
wolfdog

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
considering the EPA hoops the manufactures have to jump through...I want to think the cross hatching is some type of noise cancelling scenario but...fluid dynamics does weird stuff that may have been factored in.

regardless...cool project...especially if it nets something.
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote