Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
Wolffenjugend

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT Rally Yellow
Question Camaro 2011 Door Lock Jammed

Last winter my battery died and I couldn't use my fob to get into my car. When I tried to use the driver door lock it was jammed. I thought it was frozen from the cold. The tow truck driver said he thought it was auto locked because of the dead battery and it would work once recharged (??). It didn't.

I've tried slowly pressuring the lock open with the key and I've used lubricant and let it soak but neither works. It's jammed solid and won't unlock. If I unlock with the key fob I can use the key to LOCK the door, but it won't turn at all in the other direction to UNLOCK the door.

That said, the door lock itself opens fine with the key fob, I just can't use the physical key to unlock the door. Not really a problem unless my key fob or battery dies but I'd like to get this fixed before I end up in the boonies somewhere and can't get into the car.

I never use the physical key so my guess is that the lock mechanism itself has seized due to inactivity.

Before I take it to the shop, is there something I'm missing or any other troubleshooting I can do?

I did look through the other threads and didn't see anything on this particular topic so any thoughts from you folks would be appreciated!
Wolffenjugend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
LuSINda

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Penetrating / Lubrication oil

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
LuSINda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Wolffenjugend

Update...

I took the locking mechanism out of the door and it's broken--the pins that turn when you use the key no longer align with the metal and plastic bits in the lock so it won't unlock. It looks like some of the little parts are no longer aligned so is that something a locksmith can fix?

Buying a new lock is the other option but then I imagine they'll want to take my switchblade key and then does that mean a different key for the door (new lock) vs the ignition?

If a locksmith can fix it that might be the lesser of two evils...
Old 09-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
MattMDR

Drives: 2014 2LS RRM
I believe the dealer or locksmith can index the new lock to work with your key.
MattMDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Every lock that I have seen can be re-keyed. I don't know why the Camaro would be any different.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Wolffenjugend

Finally got this fixed. They're pretty sure rustproofing spray was sprayed directly into the key mechanism (I have it done annually) and caused the rubber gasket inside to swell, causing the lock to jam. They had to replace the lock cylinder and now it works like new.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Rustproofing? Are you having that sticky goo sprayed into your car?

That stuff wasn't all that effective 50 years ago, but now, with galvanized sheet metal in use on all cars, it's nothing but a scam.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote