Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Gears Question

So one of the planned upgrades is 3.91 gears for my 2010 LS3.

My questions is, would it be better and cheaper to find a used pumpkin out of 1LE and have it installed, or find a reputable shop and order gears, diff, bushings, cover and whatever else i need to have my stock one rebuilt?

My question is both, better quality and cost to buy/install?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You should buy the gears yourself and have them installed, a good LPW cover and bushings as your costs would be less and the deal for me has always been if I would upgrade it would be to used zl1 rear ...that's IMO. And what I would do for me due to my build.

It would be cheaper due to their production costs to just order gears, a whole pumpkin your going to pay a lot more and get used other persons gears..... which hopefully are not bad or going there..... and have to ship it then install it anyway; many have installed gears.... You may want to upgrade the rear also with the posi traction getting worm drive type helical gears a trutrac https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...ferential.html which often has been the best choice for real good internals if considering that. Also it depends on how your using the rear if you want a cooler for tracking twisties or what for a diff for a 1le is cooled and that's also a consideration not that what you have is bad but there is of course always the next level of build to consider and the costs.....

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...aro/powertrain

Good luck only you in the end will decide.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
For my 2011 SS, I keep getting quotes for parts and labor in the $1800 to $2000 range. More like $2000 if I want to recalibrate the speedometer. Was told they have to purchase "credits" for VIN so that they can get in to tune it with the correct speed for the new gears. All in all, $2000 is a bit much to upgrade to 3.91 gears in my book. I may just go with headers and upgrade my rear suspension with new Toe and Trailing arms.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
anthony.martinez

Drives: 2010
I bought a unit from a member on here. I made the deal then drove to his shop to inspect it. He was ok letting me pull the cover and look at the gears. I didnt pay an arm and a leg for it either. By the time you purchase gears and have some one do it for you, you would spend more money, and not to mention the time for them to do it. I installed mine in about a couple of hours. Im still driving on mine with the spedo off a bit. I got used to it.
anthony.martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.martinez View Post
I bought a unit from a member on here. I made the deal then drove to his shop to inspect it. He was ok letting me pull the cover and look at the gears. I didnt pay an arm and a leg for it either. By the time you purchase gears and have some one do it for you, you would spend more money, and not to mention the time for them to do it. I installed mine in about a couple of hours. Im still driving on mine with the spedo off a bit. I got used to it.
Yeah, but my thinking is that for that kind of money, I want the speed perfect. How much did it end up costing you total?
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
cost wise, it would be cheaper buying as used unit. For a little more than $2k you can buy a whole rear subframe with diff from a ZL1! for just a diff I bet you can get one for under $1k shipped and you can install it yourself. $245 for an LPW cover (just bought one myself) $60 for poly bushings. If you can do the gear change yourself it would be a little cheaper.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
PhantomBlack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Yup I paid 2k for parts/labor/calibration tune. Eaton Trutrac and 391 gears.
ZL1 rear end would be nice if you can find one locally.
PhantomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Your odometer is off as well. You are putting on more miles than you actually drive.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
anthony.martinez

754.33 for the complete cost ($4.33 for 2 25oz bud lights). I havent corrected my spedo bc I will be doing a couple of more mods and get it all corrected at once.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
anthony.martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Your odometer is off as well. You are putting on more miles than you actually drive.
yes I do realize that but it isnt by too much and I am not concerned with keeping up with miles. The car is paid for and will not be going anywhere so. It probably 121k on the clock but not really concerned. Besides I dont drive it everywhere
Old 07-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I paid $450 for the GM 3.91 Gear kit from RDP and I had the local Chevy dealership put them in for $600 (I think). I have the ticket on my desk at work if you want the exact amount I can post it later. As for adjusting the speedo, the dealership can do it or any handheld tuner can also do it. I had a custom tune from DynoSteve and he adjusted it for me. All in, gears, labor, tuner, and tune I am around $1300.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #12
JooktheSnooke

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
if you plan on buying a set of gears and need new bearing and races, shims, pinion and axle seals, and diff bushings, shoot me a dm. ive been meaning to make a FS post but never got around to it
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Stainless Works Longtubes w/ high flow cats | Muffler Delete | TSP 229/244 stage 2 cam| TSP .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Mulling high volume oil pump | PTB | Trunnion upgrade | Hurst short throw shifter | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Exedy stage 1 clutch |
JooktheSnooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
gsxrturbo

Drives: 2010 ss
I found a used one with 5K for 1100,and sold my 3.45 for 800,they are easy to install yourself
gsxrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
Quote:

Anthony, didn't you buy the diff and DR's from me a while back?
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote