#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
Zed'El-Uno

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Insurace Claim Pros and Cons

Guys,

Looking form someone with some experience in this context. My 2018 ZL1 slid off teh highway down the embankment due to me driving it in a massive downpour and while going 45 in a 55 the stock R compound tires just wouldn't stay put and we hydroplaned right off the road. I don't believe any major structural or mechanical damage was done but no one will know until it gets torn down.....

Visual insurance estimate is about 6k so far but they could find more once they start working on it. SO my options are

- Pay out of pocket to try and avoid an insurance premium hike and getting a CarFax report on the vehicle. The issue with this approach is that they may find much more damage and it could go north of 10k. Thats a lot of $ out of pocket.

- Claim it with insurance. I will get a premium increase of an amount unknown to me... No one can seem to tell me what it might be. I will also get a non clean Carfax record that will hurt the cars resale value.

Any insurance guys in here or someone that has gone through this before?

Thanks in advance!
Zed'El-Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
go thru insurance, premium increase over time shouldn't be 6 to 10k
assuming 10k job if the eyeball says 6k.

Market is so soft on ZL1's a hit on a Carfax wont mean much. take good pics to your advantage and save them for the next buyer.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Well, it's really a simple numbers game. Where any tickets issued? You need to ascertain the cost of repairs...guessing won't work. Unfortunately (for you), if you file a claim (in the 5 digits), you can count on your premium doubling nearly, particularly if you were "driving too fast for conditions." Then your premium will dribble down over the next 3-5 years, provided you have no more claims, tickets or accidents. That's just the way insurance works: they are in business not only to recoup their losses, but make money. It also depends on what your premium is now. Unfortunately, there is no magic formula for lowering your premium after a claim: it depends on your driving record, credit, vehicle, etc. I know this is all common knowledge...

In the simplest terms, if the damage is only $5k-$6k, I would not hesitate to fix it for cash, unless the claim is no fault (a deer or what have you). Simply because insurance for Z's are expensive to begin with.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
Was a police report filed?
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Claim it, there is a reason why we carry insurance. If they hike your premiums up, shop around. I would take pictures of the before and after to show to any potential buyers in the future, but I wouldn't think your value would drop much at all because of it. In truth, these cars don't hold their value much in the long term anyways so I wouldn't worry about it.
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Go through insurance. If the accident was not bc of error on your part it should not rise. If so maybe 10-20%. So maybe an increase of $20-40. That would equate to about $400 more per year: you will be ahead of the game even with that.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
If the REAL reason is due to inclimate weather, then it may be no fault of yours. It just depends on your insurance wording. Since the state law is to slow down in bad weather, and you didn't, you could actually get a ticket. But since you did slow down, you might get it fixed under comprehensive instead of collision.

I have been a driver's ed teacher for 10 years in Texas and know the laws pretty well. I had one student get a ticket for doing 30mph in a 30mph speed zone. Because he did not slow down. Kinda picky I know, but the cop must have been needing his quota.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
That should be covered under your comprehension and should not increase your premiums, unless you were already in a high risk status! Check with your insurance company and get an idea how they are going to handle it, before you put in a claim. And don't tell them a dam think about your speed, the only way they can determine your speed is to pull it off your ECM. Cant estimate speed in the rain via tire tracks/skid marks.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #9
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
You don’t have to answer publicly but if your policy on any vehicle has had claims in the past ‘x’ years, it can push you towards high risk. If you have youth drivers, that can cost multiple times more. I would ask your agent how long any claim counts on your “scorecard”. Obviously, it also depends on your cash reserves, etc.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
If the REAL reason is due to inclimate weather, then it may be no fault of yours.

Meteor hits your car.. it's an accident, everything else driver error.

Wrong equipment, going too fast = all driver error.

Those little grooves on tire allow it to pass for DOT, does not make it safe to drive in standing water.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
Zed'El-Uno

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I am asking my agent if this is a no fault since i was doing 45 in a 55 and the reason for the accident was hydroplanning due to rain. I have a clean record otherwise and no claims in forever.........

Missing the ZL1 already:(
Zed'El-Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I love the comment "this is why we carry insurance".

Don't forget that carrying insurance is also a LAW. At least in NC, you cannot legally register your vehicle without insurance.

I would hazard a guess that more people on this forum than you think, would NOT carry insurance if it was not required by law.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Bet your bank wouldn't lend you a DIME without proof of insurance

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 AM   #14
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Bet your bank wouldn't lend you a DIME without proof of insurance
There are many states that carry a jail sentence. Michigan state, you get a year in jail for not having insurance.

https://www.insure.com/car-insurance...insurance.html

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote