Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 04-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
cryssm

Drives: Car
Best Way to Deal With This?

Recently I noticed this lovely gem on my driver door. I'm not too familiar with body repairs, and am curious what all might be involved in it for this.

The scratch is several inches long, and deep into the paint. The entire scratch is also dented inward. I plan to take it to a body shop to have them look at it, but wanted to be certain first they wouldn't try to over-exaggerate the damage/repair.

Thank you!

PS I know my car is dirty.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Would imagine ,pdr on the bottom , and repaint from the bodyline down total guess 600?
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
Would imagine ,pdr on the bottom , and repaint from the bodyline down total guess 600?
They will also have to clear coat the whole door, not just the bottom. Don't ask me how I know.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Its hard to tell from the picture but that appears to be white paint transfer. If that is the case it may not need re-paint. PDR may be enough. Possibly touchup paint rather than panel repaint.

You want to try to keep it off the insurance records. If you go to trade it, you have to report any insurance claims and it really dings the trade in value.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #5
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Looks like paint transfer. Have you tried to clay or polish the area? I would, then PDR would be my guess as well.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
cryssm

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
They will also have to clear coat the whole door, not just the bottom. Don't ask me how I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Its hard to tell from the picture but that appears to be white paint transfer. If that is the case it may not need re-paint. PDR may be enough. Possibly touchup paint rather than panel repaint.

You want to try to keep it off the insurance records. If you go to trade it, you have to report any insurance claims and it really dings the trade in value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Looks like paint transfer. Have you tried to clay or polish the area? I would, then PDR would be my guess as well.
Thank you for the replies!

For the time being, I washed the area, attempted to polish what I could, and used a touch-up color-matched paint to cover the area. It's not perfect; but, surprisingly, better than I anticipated. I will look into PDR sometime in the near future. As suggested, I definitely want to keep insurance uninvolved; this car has already seen one accident.

Thank you again for the replies and advice! I really appreciate it.