Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 03-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Speaker box mount

Everytime I even cough on the gas peddle my sub box goes flying around the trunk. For the meantime I cut a couple strips of wood to hold it there but a, looks like crap, and b, it seems to be giving me even more vibrations in the rear deck lid. What are you guys doing to keep your box stationary? Also, what tips do you guys have to stop this incredibly annoying rattle in the rear decklid. It was there with the stock system and it just got louder with the subs. I've stuffed rags in the decklid, put constant pressure on it from below, holding the sub box, notta. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I use big fat strips of industrial velcro tape. Works great.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Sub Box:
A good custom box, with front firing woofers would provide the best of all worlds (sound quality and stability) . People rear fire woofers because, well that’s what they have always seen and done, but that doesn’t necessarily create the best sound quality. Rear firing subs essentially use the trunk as the sub box, and will increase SPL, but not necessarily accurate bass response. Your method of securing the box is actually not a bad one. Simply brace the box into the frame of the car!

As for rattles, you have two types, vibration and moving panels. The two are not the same. Dynamatbtype products can and will reduce panels from vibrating, especially as the frequency approaches the resonance frequency of the rear deck. But you also need an uncoupler, like closed cell foam. This should be secured in between vibrating panels.

Lastly, you should consider using braces to add additional ragidity to the rear deck. The combination of these three will change the entire sound of your audio system!
Attached Images

'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK

Last edited by drfeelgood; 03-10-2018 at 02:20 PM.
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
histobeast

Drives: '18 SS 1LE SW
Can you post more pictures please, would like to see the box from inside the trunk.
histobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:38 AM   #5
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I use big fat strips of industrial velcro tape. Works great.
This. You can also mount some feet or rubber bottoms to keep it in place. Many things you can do to keep if from sliding. I would not brace it as you have done.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 AM   #6
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by histobeast View Post
Can you post more pictures please, would like to see the box from inside the trunk.
I will see if I have more. This is from my CTSV audio build a few years ago
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
I wedged a scissor jack between the speaker box and the cross structure. Works fine for me.
As for the rattle, I removed all the rear panels for sound proofing TWICE... still didn't work.
I was going to try cutting a swim noodle in pieces and shove them from underneath.