Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
IrocTodd

Drives: 18hyperbluzl1/22C8
Waves in the outer roof skin

Does anybody else have some waves in the roof skin of their Camaro. mine is a 18zl1 hyper blue with moon roof. depending if its hot or cold out will determine how many waves are in the roof skin sometimes 3 to as many as 7. I had the dealer look at the car they called the Rep from GM to come take a look at also. the Rep said that they will replace the whole outer roof skin and it can happen in any of the gm vehicles. Dealer i bought car from said they did two travers and a Silverado with the wavy roof thing.They told me that the cause of the waves where do to the glue not in full contact with the structural beams in the roof not holding the skin correctly and that's why for the waves. Haven't decided if I'm going to have them take whole car apart. going to meet with the body shop first and explain the whole process before i commit to the fix that's a huge job from what it looks like to me. If the sun is out directly on car they are hard to spot out but on a cloudy day or at dusk it really shows bad.Does anybody else have waves in their roofs
IrocTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wow! That really sucks. I would be suing for a buy back. That is ridiculous for them admit that they can't assemble their cars correctly. That is a big screw up and unacceptable in my mind.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
ShaBoom

Drives: 2017 2SS
The structural integrity of your car is compromised.
Your car is basically a convertible now structurally without the convertibles added sub-frame structure.
Over time, cracks will appear on the window and trunk frame corners of the sheet metal and god knows where else.
I question making such a repair given the extent your car will be taken down and then the major body work involved. It'll never be right again.
Seems the safer, cheaper and more ethical option would be for Chevrolet to replace or buy back your car.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Shoulda kept production in Canada
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoom View Post
The structural integrity of your car is compromised.
Your car is basically a convertible now structurally without the convertibles added sub-frame structure.
Over time, cracks will appear on the window and trunk frame corners of the sheet metal and god knows where else.
I question making such a repair given the extent your car will be taken down and then the major body work involved. It'll never be right again.
Seems the safer, cheaper and more ethical option would be for Chevrolet to replace or buy back your car.
The roof skin would provide NO structural support. I think your assertion above is absurd. The thick A to B pillar plus roof bracing is what provides the structure. That roof skin could be removed altogether and would have no impact on torsional and bending stiffness.

With that said, from a cosmetic standpoint, I would be disappointed in what you've described.

See frame here:
Camaro: http://ye-en.chevroletarabia.com/con...ety%20Cage.jpg

Cadillac ATS (Alpha Architecture): http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...te-550x366.jpg

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph

Last edited by vtirocz; 01-10-2018 at 08:39 PM.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Replace the roof skin...I agree, the car will NEVER be the same. This is ####ing crazy.
The car will need to be stripped down, fixtured and cut apart.I would be cheaper, ethical, and way better for GM to give you another car.
I agree with shaboom, as all the metal in this car is structural to some point. The roof skin doesn't hold the car up, but keeps the sail panels and pillars in place as well as the inner panel. The outer and inner panels make up a structural part of your car. This is put together in the factory in a jig and welded (and glued) by robots.
This is something that a restoration body shop or major collision shop should do. The dealers body shop WILL #### it up. This is high skill level: 10.
You have multiple choices.
1) live with it (a defective car)
2) maybe try to inject adhesive between the panels. (doubt if possible)
3) get rid of that car.
4) get GM to give you another car. I would Lemon law and state you sold me a defective car with a structural flaw compromising safety.

If this was an insurance claim (like from a roll over) the insurance company would total the car.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Like vitrocz said, the roof panel is NOT structural outside of the fact it's connected to other things that ARE structural. There are braces beneath the roof that do the work.

The repair will not cost enough to total the car, either.

Where are you guys getting this stuff from??

As far as body shops v dealer...that's a tough one, because Chevy will warranty the work done at a dealer - they won't do the same if taken to a body shop. That is, unless the dealers in the area are not equipped to do the repair, or some sort of special deal/contract can be worked out. Luckily around here, there's a dealer with a full-fledged body shop that isn't horrible.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
V8SS

Drives: 2017 M6 NFG
Can you show us pictures? I have dents in the pillars over the rear quarter window on both sides..
V8SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #9
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
Sounds similar to the issue that the 4th gens had,same fix changing the roof skin,i think 6le sold replacement panels for those too
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #10
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The roof skin would provide NO structural support. I think your assertion above is absurd. The thick A to B pillar plus roof bracing is what provides the structure. That roof skin could be removed altogether and would have no impact on torsional and bending stiffness.

With that said, from a cosmetic standpoint, I would be disappointed in what you've described.

See frame here:

Cadillac ATS (Alpha Architecture): http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...te-550x366.jpg
This.

However, it is truely unacceptable to have such a defective assembly.
I would not accept the repair unless they offer some significant compensation.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
ShaBoom

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post

See frame here:

Not absurd at all sir. The roof sheet metal being bonded to the underlying structure adds a substantial amount of torsional stiffness to the body structure.
If the underlying structure was all that was required, the roof would not be buckling. This is somewhat similar to stressed skin wing construction in an aircraft where the outer skin is part of the load bearing structure.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoom View Post
Not absurd at all sir. The roof sheet metal being bonded to the underlying structure adds a substantial amount of torsional stiffness to the body structure.
If the underlying structure was all that was required, the roof would not be buckling. This is somewhat similar to stressed skin wing construction in an aircraft where the outer skin is part of the load bearing structure.
The roof is buckling due to expansion and contraction of the actual structural components that the roof is bonded to, as well as improper bonding in the first place. It is not a structural panel worth noting, like the front fenders - it's aesthetic...there are cross-braces under there that do to work.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I dont care if its structural or not. That is a major issue with any car let alone a 70k car. That car would be a buy back if it were mine. These companies need to start being held accountable for their failures. That is a problem the falls much farther than the scope of a normal warranty issue. The cars main shell was built incorrectly. That car is a scrap as far as Im concerned.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Is this only with the sunroof?
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote