Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
2016 F150 1 Year Review

Well, today is the day that marks 1 year with my F150 and my first truck. I traded my 2013 Mustang GT for it. It is a 2016 5.0 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 with 302A and a few other options. I'll keep it short, but if anyone is in the market for a truck and has questions on the F150, just ask away.

I've racked up 9,500 miles with it in the last year and have taken a few 400 mile round trips. Both times the truck averaged about 19.5 MPG and I have averaged about 14.5 over the life of the truck. I don't tow anything, but have loaded the bed with 1,600 pounds at most and it held up great. Payload is right under 2,000.

I have not had anything break on it, but below are some issues/quibbles I have with the truck.

Whistling sound between 1,500-2,000 RPM or so which seems somewhat common. It's audible with windows down and from what I have read, it seems to be the throttle body. Nothing official from Ford.

None of the F150s come with an LSD nor can one be optioned. It's absolutely pathetic in any snow unless I turn 4x4 on. Wheel spins very easily in rain or when it's on leaves with just minor throttle input, especially when turning right.

Plastic on the passenger side of the console isn't tight and I can hear creaks when a passenger rests a leg against it.

Uneven gap between glovebox and dash.

The 5.0 and 6 speed combo isn't bad, but I feel like it could use more low end grunt or the 10 speed. I imagine the 2018 5.0 with 10 speed is definitely an improvement putting around town. I don't crave for more gears under light or full throttle acceleration, but in the midpoint is where it feels it needs a 10 speed.. Or perhaps 3.73 gears as I have 3.31.

Other than that, I really enjoy the truck. Honestly, the only thing that truly bothers me about what I mentioned above is that the truck does not have an LSD. Roads in my neighborhood aren't the best and the truck has held up great. No rattles yet.

Have had a few glitches.. The infotainment showed digital climate control 2-3 times even though my truck doesn't have it (Have to buy Lariat for it). Lol. Hasn't happened since I upgraded SYNC to 2.0 though.
Attached Images

ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
MoeIv

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
My brother has a 2017 FX4 single cab, I take it every now and then and I absolutly love it. I’m considering getting a crew cab to daily drive.
MoeIv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
That's odd about the non limited slip. I see they offered electronic locking, but no limited slip. That is odd. Does the Silverado have a LSD? It doesn't say, but it also shows a locking diff as an option

Have you had any hail while owning the truck, if so how has the aluminum held up to it?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
No LSD eh? I'm assuming your F150 has the towing package?

I'm fairly certain I read that you can get an electronic locker on the F150, which would be nice.

On the GMC/Chevy trucks (full and midsize) anything with a towing package (2 or 4wd) automatically get the G80 locker. It is a full locking rear, and is automatically activated when one wheel starts to spin quicker than the other (something like 130 rpm difference). Also, any truck with the Z71 package gets it. I guess a 4x4 without towing package might not have it?

I have the G80 on my 2015 Colorado 2wd. It seems to be pretty effective, and its nice that it is automatic I guess, but sometimes I wish it was electronic instead. If I know I'm going to be taking off in the snow or something slick, it would be nice to have it locked from the start, rather than have to spin first.

Also interesting to note, is that the G80 option is also found on other GM vehicles (such as the Camaro) but on those, its actually an LSD and not a locker. At least I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

The F150 is a good truck. But in my opinion...so is GM and RAM trucks. Really looking forward to seeing the new GM trucks for 2019, and new RAMs for 2019/2020.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
No LSD eh? I'm assuming your F150 has the towing package?

I'm fairly certain I read that you can get an electronic locker on the F150, which would be nice.

On the GMC/Chevy trucks (full and midsize) anything with a towing package (2 or 4wd) automatically get the G80 locker. It is a full locking rear, and is automatically activated when one wheel starts to spin quicker than the other (something like 130 rpm difference). Also, any truck with the Z71 package gets it. I guess a 4x4 without towing package might not have it?

I have the G80 on my 2015 Colorado 2wd. It seems to be pretty effective, and its nice that it is automatic I guess, but sometimes I wish it was electronic instead. If I know I'm going to be taking off in the snow or something slick, it would be nice to have it locked from the start, rather than have to spin first.

Also interesting to note, is that the G80 option is also found on other GM vehicles (such as the Camaro) but on those, its actually an LSD and not a locker. At least I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

The F150 is a good truck. But in my opinion...so is GM and RAM trucks. Really looking forward to seeing the new GM trucks for 2019, and new RAMs for 2019/2020.
So then the GM trucks without the locker are also open diffs then correct?

Looks like the F-150 you can get the locker as a stand alone option, comes standard with the FX4 package.

Can't go wrong IMO with any new truck from the Big 3.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote