Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Detailing 101

Did a quick video on some tips I've picked up over the years on detailing my rides. I like to drive more than clean, so any shortcuts I'm jumping on them.

Foam gun is the new toy and it's great.

Next up is Opti Seal.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Nice video. I like the wash board and foam gun idea. Looking forward to the clay bar.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Nice video! Simple and effective.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Good video! I prefer the foam canon attached to pressure washer. I use only 2-3 oz of soap per car for canon and another 2oz in wash bucket. For soap I've used Adams Soap, Dawn, Carpro Reset, or Chemical Guys Honeydew Snowfoam and all work well in a foam canon.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
whiskeyfed
Pat

Burly, how did you like reset? I have CQuartz and have heard it works wonders in conjunction with the coating.

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Burly, how did you like reset? I have CQuartz and have heard it works wonders in conjunction with the coating.
It does not work wonders but good stuff, But not a regular wash product, only every 60-90 days, it is strong.

get more of a regular pop with ech20 rinseless....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It does not work wonders but good stuff, But not a regular wash product, only every 60-90 days, it is strong.

get more of a regular pop with ech20 rinseless....
I love my ech20. I used it once as a waterless and ended up with a few swirl marks. My own fault but it truly makes the paint SLICK!

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Burly

Like Glen said, Reset is strong and don't use it every wash. It doesn't foam as much as other soaps but it's now my preferred soap when I'm doing a full 2 bucket wash.

Echo2 is now my go to rinseless wash. After lots of trying of different dilutions, I've settled on using 3oz of Echo2 in about 4 gallons of water.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
Like Glen said, Reset is strong and don't use it every wash. It doesn't foam as much as other soaps but it's now my preferred soap when I'm doing a full 2 bucket wash.

Echo2 is now my go to rinseless wash. After lots of trying of different dilutions, I've settled on using 3oz of Echo2 in about 4 gallons of water.
Thanks for the feedback all.

I use Ech20 as well, and the dilution you mention above for rinseless is helpful.

I was taught to also spray the panel down using a hand held pump sprayer prior to the final wipe with a clean microfiber towel. Curious what dilution you use there? The bottle has one recommendation, and their website another. Anything from 1:10 to 1:20 I believe and that's a wide range.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Thanks for the feedback all.

I use Ech20 as well, and the dilution you mention above for rinseless is helpful.

I was taught to also spray the panel down using a hand held pump sprayer prior to the final wipe with a clean microfiber towel. Curious what dilution you use there? The bottle has one recommendation, and their website another. Anything from 1:10 to 1:20 I believe and that's a wide range.
Ive been using a 16oz bottle with a fine misting sprayer, mix 1oz Echo2 and rest is distilled water. I mist towel first, mist panel, then wipe. I usually end up switching out towels if it gets to moist, and usually does.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just realize that if you’re misting/spraying the surface and misting a towel you’re doing a waterless, Not a rinseless. And long-term it’s been written up several detailing sites and my experience that you’ll get micro scratches doing this after a few years of this, Simply because you can’t get enough lubricity between the surfaces of the towel and the car, to float the towel across the car which keeps it from scratching. What does work is a true Rinseless procedure which is a sopping wet , dripping towel pulled right out of the liquid , and laid on the car, the lubricity of the ech20 keeps the towel from actually touching the surface, because the microfiber is holding so much liquid. It’s just physics.

If you want to pretreat the car with an overall spray, also don’t try and do it from a small bottle, go get yourself a garden sprayer at Lowe’s for 15 bucks, pump the crap out of it and you can spray the whole car and your trigger finger doesn’t go dead Numb, and you get more liquid on the car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
Ive been using a 16oz bottle with a fine misting sprayer, mix 1oz Echo2 and rest is distilled water. I mist towel first, mist panel, then wipe. I usually end up switching out towels if it gets to moist, and usually does.
So that's 1:15 which is actually what I was thinking would work best. Thanks for confirming. In my case I use a Solo 418 pressure sprayer. It holds exactly one quart and I was targeting 2oz to 30oz water You might check out this bottle, works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Just realize that if you’re misting/spraying the surface and misting a towel you’re doing a waterless, Not a rinseless. And long-term it’s been written up several detailing sites and my experience that you’ll get micro scratches doing this after a few years of this, Simply because you can’t get enough lubricity between the surfaces of the towel and the car, to float the towel across the car which keeps it from scratching. What does work is a true Rinseless procedure which is a sopping wet , dripping towel pulled right out of the liquid , and laid on the car, the lubricity of the ech20 keeps the towel from actually touching the surface, because the microfiber is holding so much liquid. It’s just physics.

If you want to pretreat the car with an overall spray, also don’t try and do it from a small bottle, go get yourself a garden sprayer at Lowe’s for 15 bucks, pump the crap out of it and you can spray the whole car and your trigger finger doesn’t go dead Numb, and you get more liquid on the car.
Correct, that's what he stated above. He uses 3oz Ech20 in 4gallons of water for the first step. This is the final step prior to drying and is exactly what my pro detailing buddy does.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
Burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
So that's 1:15 which is actually what I was thinking would work best. Thanks for confirming. In my case I use a Solo 418 pressure sprayer. It holds exactly one quart and I was targeting 2oz to 30oz water You might check out this bottle, works great.

Correct, that's what he stated above. He uses 3oz Ech20 in 4gallons of water for the first step. This is the final step prior to drying and is exactly what my pro detailing buddy does.
Right, the misting sprayer is for drying only.