Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
LT-1 failure

is the LT-1 motor more prone to failure than the LS motors? it seems that I have been read more story about the LT motor breaking bottom end pistons and such or is it people are pushing these motors harder.
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
They are complicated motors. They can handle the power, but a spun bearing can happen. There were failures in the LS-7 due to exhaust valve guides too.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
No idea about the failures, for me it just sucks that GM limited the fuel system so much. The ls3 guys can go and get 650-700 hp on a mostly stock system :(
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
No idea about the failures, for me it just sucks that GM limited the fuel system so much. The ls3 guys can go and get 650-700 hp on a mostly stock system :(
Hmm My 625-650 rwhp LS3 needed both the ZL1 Fuel pump (which the 1LE had) and larger injectors. If I went over 700 I was told I needed a better pump to be safe.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The LT based engines are GM's best V8 to date. But, ALL GDI engines experience stresses and issues the old port injections never did. First you have the intake valve coking issues and related wear to the valve guides. Then as these hard abrasive deposits shed particles, these are forced past the rings and cause scouring to the pistons and cylinder walls as well as rapidly contaminate the engine oil. As the average oil filter can only trap down to 12-15 microns in particulate size, much of this remains in the oil circulating and wearing components. Then as the fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber at 2,000-3,000 PSI and the compression ratio is 11.5:1, many times the fuel is pushed past the rings to dilute the oil further increasing wear and shortening engine oil life. This is why ONLY using a full synthetic and installing a proper catchcan system is so critical with these engines if you intend to get the most life from them. Engine oil is considered "condemned" at 5% fuel dilution, and it is not unusual to find levels exceeding this by 2,500-5,000 miles on a GDI engine. So, these while amazing in engineering and performance, they need end user intervention to last unlike the past port injection engines that could go 200k plus miles with minimal care in the past. As the industry considers 50k miles the trouble free life of these engines VS 100k in the past port injection engines. (Look at your engine warranty now VS the Gen5).

So, taking the proper steps to ensure a long life will still get you plenty of use from these, they cannot just be treated as the engines of the past.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Hmm My 625-650 rwhp LS3 needed both the ZL1 Fuel pump (which the 1LE had) and larger injectors. If I went over 700 I was told I needed a better pump to be safe.
Still tho, must less work and money to safely make that much HP than the LT4
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
The LT based engines are GM's best V8 to date. But, ALL GDI engines experience stresses and issues the old port injections never did. First you have the intake valve coking issues and related wear to the valve guides. Then as these hard abrasive deposits shed particles, these are forced past the rings and cause scouring to the pistons and cylinder walls as well as rapidly contaminate the engine oil. As the average oil filter can only trap down to 12-15 microns in particulate size, much of this remains in the oil circulating and wearing components. Then as the fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber at 2,000-3,000 PSI and the compression ratio is 11.5:1, many times the fuel is pushed past the rings to dilute the oil further increasing wear and shortening engine oil life. This is why ONLY using a full synthetic and installing a proper catchcan system is so critical with these engines if you intend to get the most life from them. Engine oil is considered "condemned" at 5% fuel dilution, and it is not unusual to find levels exceeding this by 2,500-5,000 miles on a GDI engine. So, these while amazing in engineering and performance, they need end user intervention to last unlike the past port injection engines that could go 200k plus miles with minimal care in the past. As the industry considers 50k miles the trouble free life of these engines VS 100k in the past port injection engines. (Look at your engine warranty now VS the Gen5).

So, taking the proper steps to ensure a long life will still get you plenty of use from these, they cannot just be treated as the engines of the past.

So How come GM doesn't recommend catch cans?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
They don't recommend catch cans since the car will be out of warranty before problems arise. That's our problem then. They don't put them on at the factory since it would drive up the price of the vehicle.
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
And they'd be a maintenance nightmare for 99% of drivers who wouldn't give a crap to service them.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Yes exactly!
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
I wonder if the LT1s that failed had the bad oil pans. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
This is why ONLY using a full synthetic and installing a proper catchcan system is so critical with these engines if you intend to get the most life from them. Engine oil is considered "condemned" at 5% fuel dilution, and it is not unusual to find levels exceeding this by 2,500-5,000 miles on a GDI engine. So, these while amazing in engineering and performance, they need end user intervention to last unlike the past port injection engines that could go 200k plus miles with minimal care in the past. As the industry considers 50k miles the trouble free life of these engines VS 100k in the past port injection engines. (Look at your engine warranty now VS the Gen5).
This is horse crap.

Catch cans... Give me a break.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #13
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJS View Post
This is horse crap.

Catch cans... Give me a break.

They need sales

As oil filters go, Fram Ultra is 80% at 5 microns , 99% at 20 microns.

The AC Delco filter,PF64 is listed at 98% at 25 microns and definitely filters below 12-15 microns.

Also fuel dilution for DI Engines is real but not all have engines have fuel dilution problems.

From the used oil analysis I've seen from the LT1, fuel dilution isn't an issue for us. And remember you can get fuel dilution in any car(port or DI) with short tripping.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
16silverSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2ss A8
I purchased my 2016 Camaro ss new with only 3 miles in it. Only full synthetic oil changes since day one at 4,000 mile intervals. Current miles a little over 19,000 and at the dealership with a complete motor failure. New crate motor from Gm was ordered last week and has been installed as of today. Update from dealership after test driving the car with new motor. Transmission is possibly shot as well. Still trying to get a full description of what actually failed but their not really telling me much.
16silverSS is offline   Reply With Quote